SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

RCDLR Replacement and programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2023, 05:36 PM

RCDLR Replacement and programming

So, my remote start, door locks, and tire pressure readings have gradually gotten weaker. I went to the dealer to get the RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) replaced. They told me that the RCDLR needs replaced but that they cannot get the part anymore. I looked online and there is an aftermarket replacement. The dealer refused to install it or download and upload my data to the aftermarket one. My question is this: Without the dealership can I buy an aftermarket RCDLR and get it programmed somewhere? Every shop in my area states, that “programmer” is a dealer item and they can’t do it. Any suggestions?
Old 01-08-2023, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

That would be a question to ask the aftermarket company. We don’t know what type hardware/software an aftermarket part uses.
Contact the seller and ask if you need a Tech II programmer or something else.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:35 PM

Is there some reason that you are not capable of unbolting a module?
Then go to a dealer and have them program your fob. Or, get a Dorman fob with programmer and do it yourself.
The problem is the dealer shops don't know how to do anything with old systems, barely with new. The refuse to admit they need help, there is a helpline just for them.

There is no need to transfer any data, it can be done by following the directions on their scantool, but you can just reset the TPMS by followeing the directions in you Owner Manual. If you have a 2011 (some 2010) you need a $10 tool. The fob does need to be matched to the new RCDLR, they only need to follow the directions in the Scantool.

I doubt the RCDLR is actually your problem, radio receivers are not prone to degrading they work or don't.
Have you replaced the fob battery and leaned the button contacts? The TPMs in the tires have a 10 year battery life, have they ever been replaced?

Fob buttons do wear out, fob batteries go dead, TPM batteries go dead. You can get new keypads on Ebay.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:48 PM

What do you mean by "readings have gradually gotten weaker"?
Old 01-16-2023, 01:20 PM

Key fobs have been replaced twice. Still the same problem. Changed the batteries more than 3 times.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:23 PM

The readings have gotten weaker in the fact that over the last two years I have had to get closer to the vehicle to get the doors to unlock from the key fob. Now I am just outside the door, but once in a while it will work right in front of the car.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:46 PM

FWIW, I have a clone Tech II if someone near Los Angeles even needs to try something. No clue about features of modules. Someone gave it to me and I've never used it, or at least never on the HHR.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:33 PM

Does the TPMS work? That is the same radio receiver. The antenna is under the front radio antenna covered by the headliner. The fuse involved is the one on the BCM #23 marked "RDO"
Receivers don't usually degrade, transmitters do.

Your dealer is really poorly informed. and "Every shop in my area" is full of BS; anyone can buy the computer interface and the program and access to TechlineConnect. GM does not use the Tech2 anymore they use MDI.
Both of these links were at the top of a GoOgle search of "gm computer programmer"
Like this: https://instacarkey.com/shop/gm-diag...ming-computer/
There are services like this one: https://www.flashmastersecm.com/prod...eturn-shipping
Old 01-16-2023, 06:14 PM

Yes and no, the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) works in the front but not in the back. Replaced batteries 1 year ago. No change. Replaced all four units and new batteries 4 months ago. No change. Still, fronts give readings rears don’t. Once in a great while one of the rears will give a reading.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:10 PM

The pin-heads at the dealer think that the RCDLR is in the BCM. They do have to get to it through the BCM in computer terms, but ALL of the data is in the BCM. As far as I know all that needs to be done is remove the RCDLR and replace it then program the fob and do the tire position thing. Maybe the VIN needs to be matched, I'm not sure about that.

NO data needs to be transferred, The BCM is not being replaced.

I can't think of a reason the RCDLR would weaken. Do you have any after market electronics in the car. Anything the transmits on 315 Mhz nearby. Cellphones, laptops on the passenger seat? An BT to FM adapter plugged into the cig lighter? Big audio amp in the rear? If you don't use OnStar or XM/Sirius pull fuse #24 on the BCM. Garage door openers? Any remote control transmitters. RFID tags?

Quick Reply: RCDLR Replacement and programming