SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Replacing 08 SS suspension 🥺

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 06:12 PM

Replacing 08 SS suspension 🥺

Hi, I’ve been reading over several older posts about swapping suspensions between models and the issues with ordering parts.
My brain is now fried between so many swap projects and lack of info on the ordering websites.

I need to replace the shocks/struts/coils on both front and rear of my 2008 HHR SS. They’re blown out horribly to the point I can’t drive it (went full bust once I let it sit for almost a year)

From what I’m gathering from posts there is no full Assembly kit for my fronts? But I am not objecting to dropping to a FE3 model (if I have to/can interchange with no issue) to make this a cheaper and easier job for my dad. This is just a side car now, With a potentially cracked block that can let go at any time, so I don’t want to throw a lot of money at it.

I found this assembly kit on rock auto but it has no FE3/5 rating info on it at all. And they have rear shocks listed in 3 categories with major price differences. Of course no FE info on the cheap grade.

i tried looking directly through KYB and all it tells me is that there are no parts for my year model car, but so many posts here says to get those... so I’m really confused there.

if anybody has recommendations it would be greatly appreciated, I tried looking over the common parts list but that too was missing some info I’m looking for, or maybe it’s bc I’m misunderstanding that I need to use LS/LT part numbers. 😣

This is the front kit I’m looking at.

The cheap set has no FE rating ( go figure) so I guess I would have to go with the Sachs unless someone has experience with those cheapos.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:49 PM
Administrator

The Sachs rear shocks are OEM , so those are good
For the front either the KYB or these FE5 spec AC Delcos

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ion,strut,7584

If you need front coil springs there are these

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+spring,7512

the quick struts for FE1 or FE3 fronts are almost 2 inches higher in ride height. So don’t install them.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Why would you throw money at new suspension when the car has a "potentially cracked block that can let go at any time" ?
1st priority should be doing something about the engine.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Due to ball joint diameter the front struts MUST be GM for an SS.
Brain fart, That's control arms.
Rear springs can be purchased through Moog.
KYB rear shocks from TTR.
I have a pair of FE5 rear springs. Hated them so I installed Cobalt SS springs.
$40.00 plus shipping.
PM me if you want them.

Last edited by Lonwane; 12-02-2020 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Stupid
Old 12-01-2020, 07:25 PM
Administrator

It’s the ball joints , they are mounted on the lower control arms
Old 12-01-2020, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Why would you throw money at new suspension when the car has a "potentially cracked block that can let go at any time" ?
1st priority should be doing something about the engine.

running her til she dies. Then she will sit again for a bit until the crate motor comes in. There’s no other car on the market now with the space this car has that fits exactly to my needs and my preferred style, so i keep her around. Once the market gets better and money flow returns the way I want it to she will become a full on project car just for fun, but for now, she’s hauling pigs to the vet and taking me to work in bad weather to save miles off my new GT N-Line. If she dies on the way to work, ah well, I live 5 min away and have a tow rig to bring her home.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:07 PM

GM ONLY for lower control arms when the time comes, RockAuto has them at the best price. You do need to use FE5 parts on the SS, as that is what is factory heavy duty compared to the FE1/3 stuff. Front struts, I put KYB on the front of my 08 SS and I'll be pulling them for Acdelco at tax time. An old post here had a member reach out to KYB about their struts for an SS, and they said directly they don't make a front strut for the SS.

you will want to get new top hats with the bearing, the metal plate that goes below it, and new insulators top and bottom of the spring. You shouldn't need to replace the front springs honestly, but they are on GMpartsdirect for less than 40 each. Rear shocks, zzp has the upgraded bilstein shocks for just a tiny bit more than the OE stuff on rock auto. It can be daunting, but due diligence when parts hunting for an SS will serve you well. I'm about 6 weeks into owning my 08 and have been doing the same!