SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Revs up by itself between shifts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky1974
If I'm not mistaken, you are the one who solved the problem by swapping the Clutch/Brake Pedal Position Sensors. I may try that or just replace the Clutch Pedal Position sensor. I don't think those are expensive either.
Yes, that was me. Another thing that I had done around that time, and perhaps wrongly dismissed it as not the fix, was replace the battery. It may be worth it to try the "30 minute battery lobotomy". Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery for 30 minutes or more. This may trigger a relearn of something.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Yes, that was me. Another thing that I had done around that time, and perhaps wrongly dismissed it as not the fix, was replace the battery. It may be worth it to try the "30 minute battery lobotomy". Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery for 30 minutes or more. This may trigger a relearn of something.
That's very interesting. It's very cold here now and mine hadn't done this since it got cold, until today. I drove it to Walmart and it did it twice. The battery is weak in mine and I had to jump it yesterday to get it started. That's the reason I went to Walmart. To get a new battery. I plan on installing it tomorrow and now that you've mentioned this I will leave it disconnected for at least 30 minutes. I will post the results, but I may have to drive it a week or two to be sure, if it fixes it.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:19 PM

Yes, certainly post your results. Would be great to have more data on this problem that has plagued some manual SS drivers for 10 years!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM

Well, the battery disconnect/reboot did not solve the problem. I did go by the dealer and the Service Manager did a search on GM's system and came up empty. He suggested that I clean the throttle body. I plan on trying that as soon as I get a chance.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 PM

I am the original OP. I have tried everything including replacing the Throttle Body, stepper motor and TPS all in one, the Gas pedal and electronics, the ECM, reprogrammed the GM Stage program, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, checked for leaks, everything. Only thing related I haven't changed is the recirc valve. (BOV type valve) on the turbo. Perhaps its not letting boost relieve back to intake side of turbo when throttle is released. Mine has done it since day one.
Originally Posted by Rocky1974
I see no indication that my clutch pedal is sticking.

Yes cleaning the throttle body would be cheaper than replacing it. But if it's not dirty and sticking because it's worn or it's stepper motor is failing, it would need to be replaced. Since they are not expensive, I figure that a brand new one would eliminate 2 or 3 potential causes at once.

The problem that I have with the "it's programmed to do that" story is my '08 HHR SS Manual never did it once. I see several people with 08's complaining about the problem, so it's not just a '09 problem either.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LT1GMC
I am the original OP. I have tried everything including replacing the Throttle Body, stepper motor and TPS all in one, the Gas pedal and electronics, the ECM, reprogrammed the GM Stage program, MAP sensor, O2 sensor, checked for leaks, everything. Only thing related I haven't changed is the recirc valve. (BOV type valve) on the turbo. Perhaps its not letting boost relieve back to intake side of turbo when throttle is released. Mine has done it since day one.
This is amazing! This thread is over 10 years old and no-one has ever come up with a solution or even a good explanation. My car still does this and while it's still annoying, it's not a show stopper and I've learned to live with it. If it wasn't for the fact that this one is my 2nd SS with a manual transmission and my '08 NEVER did it once, I might write it off as "That's just the way it is". But since they don't all do it, there has to be an explanation. I think we need a GM Engineer. Anybody know how to get hold of one? I'm a Camaro guy and I'm remember speaking with the Camaro Program Manager at Camaro Fest in Bowling Green a few years ago .and he told me that before the Camaro, he'd been the HHR Program Manager. If I could remember his name, I'd try to contact him. I'll bet he knows who the LNF engineers were and I'll bet one of them could tell us why some of these cars do this and what the solution is.
"
Old 06-08-2019, 02:12 PM

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in looking at the electronic diagrams for the manual transmission: in the 2011 M86 (LS/LT) it shows a 1K resistor in the clutch pedal sensor. There is no such resistor in the 2009 diagrams. I wonder if the parts books a wrong again?

Old 06-08-2019, 03:41 PM

Rocky, have you tried replacing the pedal position sensors?
Old 06-09-2019, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Rocky, have you tried replacing the pedal position sensors?
No, but I'm planning on ordering some GM parts this week and I think I,ll order one. It's not expensive.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but in looking at the electronic diagrams for the manual transmission: in the 2011 M86 (LS/LT) it shows a 1K resistor in the clutch pedal sensor. There is no such resistor in the 2009 diagrams. I wonder if the parts books a wrong again?

That's very interesting! I'd assume, from viewing those diagrams, that the 1k resistor is in the switch itself. But according to GM Parts Direct's online parts catalog, a 2009 HHR and a 2011 HHR use the same clutch pedal position sensor.

Quick Reply: Revs up by itself between shifts?