SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS has no steering position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 AM

SS has no steering position sensor

While troubleshooting a traction control issue. I found out that the ss does not include a power steering position sensor as an input to the EBCM. There is not even a 5v reference line for the sensor. I am using Alldata as my wiring diagram source. So, if anyone is also using that, be aware that some of the diagrams are wrong for the ss.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:15 PM
Technical Moderator

Usually the traction control problems are in the wheel speed sensors or their connections.
If anybody has messed with your steering wheel or steering column; the PSCM may need to be calibrated.
The yaw sensor may have a bad connection or be broken.
Possible the EBCM needs replacing.

My AllData has one diagram that includes wires for LNF and -LNF. On the connector pinout it does show 2 5 volt refs and 2 low refs for steering angle sensor. You may not be seeing the GMLAN connection
Attached Images   
Old 05-27-2016, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Usually the traction control problems are in the wheel speed sensors or their connections.
If anybody has messed with your steering wheel or steering column; the PSCM may need to be calibrated.
The yaw sensor may have a bad connection or be broken.
Possible the EBCM needs replacing.

My AllData has one diagram that includes wires for LNF and -LNF. On the connector pinout it does show 2 5 volt refs and 2 low refs for steering angle sensor. You may not be seeing the GMLAN connection
Ok. I must have this diagram, but it is in a different location somewhere. It confirms that there is not supposed to be a steering position sensor. I don't have an ABS warning light and ABS appears to be working ok. My OBD interface needs to be upgraded to one that has SW CAN. So, I am working without knowing what code is set. But, I will buzz it out and find out what's going on with it.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Technical Moderator

Does that mean you are needing a CANDI module?

IIRC, the SS PSCM is different from the LS/LT. I think it has a torque sensor in it.

I would check all of the wires to the EBCM and all of the pins. There have been a couple of people that had to replace the EBCM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Does that mean you are needing a CANDI module?

IIRC, the SS PSCM is different from the LS/LT. I think it has a torque sensor in it.

I would check all of the wires to the EBCM and all of the pins. There have been a couple of people that had to replace the EBCM.
Yes. Even though the SW CAN bus is not physically connected to the EBCM, it must use the body computer to configure the high speed bus so that the ECBM can be seen on the HS bus. I am using an ELM327 interface, which does not have access to the SW CAN. I plan to check all the wiring tomorrow.