SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

SS Loss of Power & Regain

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 PM

Removal of Lower TMAP Boss for Stage 1 Upgrade

Here's the before picture showing how the lower TMAP looks out of the box with the little boss on. Then the other picture shows the TMAP with the boss removed so that it can mount flush with the air pipe and seal properly. I used an extension mirror and a maglite from above to see that the TMAP was installed incorrectly. I would suggest that folks having trouble with the Stage 1 kit installs check out their lower TMAP mounting.
Attached Images   
Old 07-09-2011, 09:11 AM

Sidecardog1 I just had a similar situation with mine, except that I actually faxed over my copy of the install manual over to the tech working on my SS. He had no clue what needed to be done (they'd never done a GMTU before!) and actually thanked me for giving him the info. I sat on the phone with him for a good 20-30 min explaining what the GMTU was and exactly what needed to be done to replace my blown lower TMAP sensor.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Asanti,

Thanks for the info. By the way, your ride sounds real nice! I'll be speaking with the folks at my dealership service area on Monday morning. They are nice folks there and will give me a demo car to use while they grind away the TMAP and reinstall correctly. I'll show them the above picture set and the page from the install instructions so there will be no reason to mess it up this time. Too bad we have to tell them about their product procedures and problems, but if we all learn from each other then maybe we'll all have less problems with our rides. I really love the boost from the Stage 1 kit, but hate the problems getting it right and the inconvenience that goes along with the repairs. If the connectors fail on me again, I'll try to coerce the dealership to solder them up. Somebody messed up with the lower TMAP orientation and the requirement for cutting into both upper & lower harness to splice in the different wires. Would have been much nicer if it was a plugged adapter pigtail that simply plugged in. More expensive yes, but I would have gladly paid more than to go through this type of BS. Whatever was GM thinking?!! Keep everyone aware of what the problems and solutions are.............
Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Auto or stick?

5psi in 1st or all gears?

Still doin ~20psi now?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 PM

5spd with the performance pkg & Stage 1 upgrade kit. It was 5 psi in all gears that I tried 1,2 & 3 and to get that the gas pedal was all the way to the floor. It was repaired this morning (correctly installing the lower TMAP). Boost is 20psi +/- now and runs well. Dealer was good about it, apologetic, demo loaner so I could run and errand while they did the correction and I was back home quick. Tomorrow the car goes for a 250 mile roundtrip to St. Pete, so that should be a good test.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM

Just bought an 08 HHR SS with turbo. I experienced the power loss problem,made my heart stop. Love this little car. I use Shell high octane and just stopped to refill. Drove home, parked, and after awhile restarted; no problems. Great information guys. Am looking forward to more great stuff.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:44 AM

JUst when I thought I'd seen everything !!!!!! Had the power surge problem on my 2008 HHR SS with the upgrade so I decided to check both sensors and while the top one was ok (I still went ahead and soldered them), the bottom tmap had two wires not plugged !!!????!!!....the connections of the plugged ones were held together with household electrical connectors ( those plastic caps used by electricians) !!!!!! I mean WTF !!!! Since I bought mine used with the upgrade already on, I just hope that a dealer tech didn't perform this garbage or he should be fired on the spot.......

Cheers, Roberto
Old 07-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sidecardog1
5spd with the performance pkg & Stage 1 upgrade kit. It was 5 psi in all gears that I tried 1,2 & 3 and to get that the gas pedal was all the way to the floor. It was repaired this morning (correctly installing the lower TMAP). Boost is 20psi +/- now and runs well. Dealer was good about it, apologetic, demo loaner so I could run and errand while they did the correction and I was back home quick. Tomorrow the car goes for a 250 mile roundtrip to St. Pete, so that should be a good test.
The sensor will do that.

So you have your 20psi back in all 5 gears????
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 PM

The car is working fine now, however, I do not believe that boost is programmed to go to 20+/- in all gears. I guess I can check that out tomorrow on the way to Lowe's!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sidecardog1
The car is working fine now, however, I do not believe that boost is programmed to go to 20+/- in all gears. I guess I can check that out tomorrow on the way to Lowe's!
If you want to see it really boost up, turn off the A/C. I noticed it can lower the boost readings significantly.

Quick Reply: SS Loss of Power & Regain