SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

The SS making a clunk noise at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 PM

The SS making a clunk noise at WOT

The history is that about 3 weeks ago, I was getting on it on a long freeway on ramp and shifting from 3rd to 4th with almost WOT, engine light turned on and car went into limp mode. Was concerned, slowed off but the check engine light was flashing. Got off at next off ramp and light turned off. At this point, car is running fine. Get back on the free way, no issues, tried to do the same thing, still running fine. Had my father-in-law check with his scanner, says there area two misfire codes, one for cylinder #3, the other for #4. I drive with no problems until last week. This time there's a noticeable "knock". This happens when I shift from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. Also, sometimes the car will go into limp mode, other times it won't but the check light comes on and a "knock" noise is heard. Car is running well, not problems with power, just really scared from reading this article:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ighlight=knock

Now, history is limited, I purchased the car with 40,300 miles on it, is from out of state (CT car, I'm in CA), and have only owned it since Vetrans day this year (11/11). Have around 42,750 or so miles at this point. Took it to lunch and sure enough, getting on it while around 156 degrees (engine temp), it came on. Let it sit until it was up to around 175 temp and still, same thing. Turned off, got lunch, hit the road, temp is around 196 and same thing. Frustrating but just wanted to get some feedback and curious as to what my options are at this point if lets say the #3 cylinder has fried rings or something worse. Is the engine still under warranty after 36k? I'm not sure what's covered, etc, so, any feedback is appreciated.

Oh, have an appointment to take the car to the dealer on 1/4/2011 (wierd, i just typed 2011...). Not going to be driving it the next 6 days or so. Hoping for something simple like bad injectors or coilpacks.

Oh, forgot to mention, 2008 HHR SS, factory upgrade turbo kit, completely stock (and blue flash). Love the car but already starting to feel discouraged about it

Peter
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

I'll answer your pertinent question....

Yes....it will still be under warranty. All 2007 and newer HHR's have a 5 year/100,000 mile drive train warranty.....and the rings, if that is the problem, would be covered.

But, a GOOD Chevrolet dealership, with good technicians should be able to isolate the problem and give more advise.

Other SS owners will probably chime in and add their advise and suggestions.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 AM

Simple question: Are you using premium fuel? Since it's got stage 1, you should be using it.
If not, the knock you hear could be detonation, and thats not good on parts.
Other than that, take it to the dealership.
Being local to you, I would suggest Dublin Chevrolet. I know a service writer there, and they seem to be more on the ball, than some of the other local dealships. "Moon"
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

i know exactly what your problem is. A flashing cel is a chronic misfire. Happens when you rip on your car when its not fully warmed up. Lots of threads on this on the cobalt forum

The knocking youre hearing though cant be good man. Sorry to hear that. I beat the piss out of my car and its holding stong
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM

At the dealer today, haven't heard anything back yet.

I'm willing to bet the flashing cel could be from not warming up enough but wouldn't you think 17-175 degrees and running for about 15 minutes warm? Also, had this happen before while on a road trip, the cel came on after romping on it between traffic breaks.

I'm not happy with the pop I've been hearing. Wondering if it's predetinating or what's up with that. Oh, running premium (switch between chevron and 76), as always.

Anyway, will report back what the dealer finds. Did take to Dublin Chevrolet, I agree, the only "reliable" dealer around our area. Couldn't pay me to take it to FH daily. Cousin had a colorado from them and their service was really bad. Keeping my fingers crossed it's under warranty
Old 01-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Got a call back. The dealer was able to find a P0300 Engine Misfire Detected code but not for specific cylinders. They also pulled a code, P2261 Turbocharger Bypass Valve Stuck Closed. They said there was a TSB on this and had to reflash the ECM/PCM. They could not replicate the pop noise I was hearing. I'm going to pick up the car and drive to see if the issues have been resolved. Hoping for the best, will report back what I have :)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Hope that solved the issue!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:33 AM

I picked up the car at the dealer, thought everything was going to be awesome (optimistic) and it was...until I hit the freeway. Shifting felt better, throttle response was better, turbo gauge seemed to respond more (before, it seemed the only time boost was accumulated was when I hit higher rpms), and I was cruising along. I had let the car warm up for about 15 minutes and coolant temp was at around 187-190. I started on the freeway and saw a ice open lane. Was in 2nd, went up to around 5500 rpm, shifted with foot about 3/4 on throttle, went to 3rd just fine and foot to the floor. at around 5000 rpm, lifted clutch foot ever so slightly (habit) shifted to 4th, mashed back down on the throttle and guess what happened...strange thing is it sounds like clunky, crunchy in the front passenger side, about where the turbo is at. Odd though, when light was flashing, I still could spool and the car was moving normal. Only hesitation was the initial loss of boost when cel light came on. I got off the freeway, light turned off at stoplight. Got back on the freeway heading back to the dealer and tried to make it happen again. It didn't, until just before the exit to the dealer. Same exact thing, cel turned on and was hoping it would stay on. This time it seemed like I couldn't spool but as soon as I got to the dealer, light went away. Pissing me off! Everyone had gone home from the service department (got there at closing). Left the car there anyway with early bird drop off dealio. Got a call from the service guy, he said to come by for a drive with a tech to see exactly what is going on. I work too far away to just come by, so, going to call them back and see if they could at least read the codes to check on what it is. Will report back later.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Well, it definitely should have stored a code since it set off the CEL. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 AM

So, I head out to the dealer, mind you, I'm driving a 1995 civic beater. good car, just a bit on the beat up DD side :)

Let me start with yesterday, I was trying to get to the dealer by 6pm (or 5 minutes earlier) and avoid a ticket. I get within 2 blocks from the dealer, when I almost stalled the car (5 speed) and chirped the tires when I give it a little mroe gas to save it. Sure enough, a sheriff was sitting there and pulls me over. He gives me a mouth full, going off on how I want a $400 dollar ticket, how I'm giving him attitude, mocks my driving record (asked how many points and tickets will come up when he runs my license...). I'm just shrinking more and more in my seat waiting for the inevitable when he basically throws me my license and tells me to get outa here. what a *****...

So, today, trying to get to the dealer before 4:30pm. Wouldn't you know it...I get with in one block, actually on the court the dealer ship is on and another cop (dublin city) pulls me over...reason? My tail light is out. Gosh! It's 4:25pm, I would have been there by now to talk to the tech (he gets off at 4:30pm). I finally get to the dealer only to find out the tech left already (4:33pm). I'm annoyed but whatever, figures, I'm getting all the pull overs I deserve for all the times they didn't catch me, hahaha!

So, off of my little rant. I get to the dealer and talk to the service guy and he says the tech didn't see any codes.. Bull crap! I wrote on the drop off note when I returned the car the night before that the cel came back on and noise was still there. He admits to me that the tech didn't know that, had test drove the car cold, hot, sitting idle for a while and couldn't mimic the thrown code. Also said the tech cleared the codes...I was a bit pissed off...the cops seemed a bit more "fun" than this bs. So, I'm sure the service guy is noticing I'm a little ticked off and offers to go on a drive with me. I'm like sure, with my luck the code won't come up. We go down the freeway, it's 5pm...rush hours peak. I'm trying to find an open space to hit it hard to see if the code will come up and get shut down by people merging. I finally open it up, shift from 3rd to 4th and bingo! The cel kicks on, I lose my boost, for a minute and go limp for about 10 seconds. The cel is flashing but then stay solid. I was ecstatic (even if it does sound counter productive) but now the tech can see I'm not full of crap. Anyways, the service guy was really cool, told me they would take care of me and get back to me in the morning. I'm sad I can't drive the car but happy that there is probably some info that points to what is going on with the car.

Here's to hoping it's figured out tomorrow. Getting tired of driving the old civic...sure it's a sohc vtec and once wound up it creeps along but I want my HHR!! Civic is fun to hit up redwood rd though (local twisty) :) The HHR is even more fun

Quick Reply: The SS making a clunk noise at WOT