SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:53 PM

There could be various reasons the chain let go early...possible theres an oiling problem there ( Lack of) or hard miles or a bad chain or even a bad tensioner from the factory but for most..shouldnt have any problems for the life of the eng....
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Lots of highway about 70 a day
Old 03-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Thumbs up Thanks for the help

The dealer told me they wanted 1,500$ for just the labor so i bought the parts for my self. I work on heavy trucks for a living, and have a good mechanical backround. So i would like to try and do this my self. Has anyone found a good manual i could use to help me thru this. I havent had much luck with You Tube.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by codered3232
The dealer told me they wanted 1,500$ for just the labor so i bought the parts for my self. I work on heavy trucks for a living, and have a good mechanical backround. So i would like to try and do this my self. Has anyone found a good manual i could use to help me thru this. I havent had much luck with You Tube.

This is a link for the 2.2l L61 but the timing chain part of the motor should be very similar if not the same. I also sent a PM on your behalf to Chevymgr to see if he can get the specific one for your motor.

From what I remember when doing waterpump campaigns on the first L61's it wasn't all that bad. It was mostly just having to raise and lower the engine to get to all the 10mm bolts holding the front cover on. For the most part it is very much like doing a timing belt. I do remember having to make sure to have the rod/pin in on the tensioner as you install. The waterpump is also driven by the chain so you might want to replace that too while you are in there. It bolts up to the front case from the backside below the exhaust mani but the gear is bolted to the shaft inside the front case. Again this was the first gen L61's when they still had power steering pumps and I have not looked that far into either of my newer L61's nor ever seen a LNF.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...61_ecotec.aspx
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Timing Chain
Timing Chain
17 - Chain Only 24461834 $127.22
17 - Chain Kit 12604864 $183.32
Chain Kit Includes Tensioner And Chain Guide.

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Timing Chain
Replace B 0.0 6.4
Includes: R&R Chain Guides And Tensioner.

NOTE
To R&R Crankshaft Gear, Add B 0.0 0.2

6.4 hours labor
Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 AM

Remove the number 1 cylinder spark plug. Refer to Spark Plug Replacement (See: Spark Plug\Service and Repair).
Rotate the crankshaft in the engine rotational direction clockwise, until the number 1 piston is at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke.
Remove the camshaft cover. Refer to Camshaft Cover Replacement (See: Valve Cover\Service and Repair).
Remove the engine front cover. Refer to Engine Front Cover Replacement (See: Timing Cover\Service and Repair).
Remove the upper timing chain guide bolts and guide

Note: The timing chain tensioner must be removed to unload chain tension before the timing chain is removed. If it is not, the timing chain will become ****ed and it will be difficult to remove.

Remove the timing chain tensioner.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Install a 24 mm wrench on the hex on the exhaust camshaft in order to hold the camshaft.
Remove and discard the exhaust camshaft actuator bolt (2).
Remove the exhaust camshaft actuator (1, 3) from the camshaft and timing chain

Remove the timing chain tensioner guide bolt and guide.

Remove the fixed timing chain guide access plug

Remove the fixed timing chain guide bolts and guide.

Install a 24 mm wrench on the hex on the intake camshaft in order to hold the camshaft.
Remove and discard the intake camshaft actuator bolt (2).
Remove the intake camshaft actuator (3), and the timing chain through the top of the cylinder head.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the site, redhotSS.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by codered3232
How does the Dealer explain $1500 for 6.4 hrs. labor ??

Thats $234 per hour !!!!

Dealer labor rates here are approx. $110 per hour.

If those figures are correct ... Chevrolet might be interested in why this High Rate also.
I don't think they would approve of ripping off Chevy Loyal Customers just because they didn't buy an extended warranty.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM
RFT

Something else to think about is replacing what other parts run off the timing chain. IDK about this particular motor, but the water pump probably runs off it too. Since you're already paying the labor - 6.4 hours does sound about right (Cav with 2.4 took that long) You might as well replace the other parts hooked up to the chain. At that mileage they may be on their way out too.

As others have stated $1500 is just too much. A second opinion would be recommended at the very least to get a more realistic price.

Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Timing Chain