SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Valve tap already????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:56 PM

I'm sure it's a management issue. The tech is basically paid based on how fast he gets the cars in and out. The shop foreman is paid based on how fast the techs get the cars in and out. They don't have time to research TSBs on cars and problems that they don't see all that much. So they let the 'hard' cases sit on the lot while they pump out the gravy. Until you start pushing.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by TucsonHHRSS
windsmith - good "rant" sometimes ya just gotta vent.

It will be interesting to see what if any response (or apology) Mr. Goodwrench has for me. I would be pretty embarassed if I was the mechanic and shop manager responsible for this, had the car for a full day, couldn't find the problem and had a new owner provice the answer from a GM bulletin.

More tomorrow,
You might want to go easy on them as the TSB is for 08-09 LNF engines and not 2010. If I recall I believe they started to in stall the foam cover over the pump in mid to late 09 and the 2010 like yours should have it installed already.

If they did a search for TSB a 08-09 would not show up for a 2010. TSB's like these are often added to the production cars and are only for the cars prior to the assembly date when they part was added to normal production.

Just like the vaccume pump for the brakes. Only the mid 09 and earlier cars are covered under the TSB since the later automatics have it from the factory.

Note too the cover is easy not to see as the photo in the TSB the bottom picture is with the cover on and no metal mount over it. Once the metal bracket is installed the foam is not exposed much. You have to look to see it.

I had one put on with the TSB and it still makes noise more at start up.

The Camaro, CTS Caddy and the other DI engines all make this ticking nosie and it is louder at start up. Direct Injection pumps deliver a couple thousand pounds of pressure and tend to make a little noise.

They also added insulation to the V6 cars too.

Black in and around the tail pipe is also a product from DI engines. They all do it and it is nomal and will not hurt a thing.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Not to get you all worked up...

Did you or they check the oil level?

If it's low, it means it's burning oil. GM Tech services has reported several improperly installed piston rings on #3 cylinder. Mine went in for a check engine light... without getting too much into it. My #2 piston rings were shot and it ate itself. Same problem, different cylinder. While it was at the dealership it developed a bad knock... it seems that when it went bad, it went fast cause it wasn't doing it when I took it in. Still making power and boost. But POOF.

Read up on my problems... and don't worry, you'll see all ended ok.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/when-engine-light-comes-31687/

Reason why I say... valve TAP noise to one individual over the internet could be another individuals KNOCK noise. But bottom line... once the mechanic told tech services it had burned up a bunch of oil and thru a performence code. They told him to drop the oil pan and check #3 for broken piston rings. He did and found that issue just on #2 instead.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 PM

All this is exactly why I'm not surprised or too upset at this point. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out and as long as whatever the issue is gets resolved I'll be a satisified customer. Time will tell.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Yep... I'll be watching this closely... Good Luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Starting to ware thin - The promised call first thing this morning didn't materialize, so at 10am I contacted the Rep. Told me he would call over to the shop, find out the status and call "right" back. It's now noon and I'm still waiting on the call back and status report. Patience, patience, exactly how much are we the taxpayers into the company for? Patience, patience, will keep the thread posted.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 PM

Meh.. it's the dealership, not the company.

FWIW, I had to get the service department customer service manager involved in order to get things moving along nicely at MY dealership.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm now driving an Enterprise rental.

Finally heard back from the Service/Customer Rep. who informed me that the tap, tap, tapping was normal and that GM had issued an additional Bulletin regarding the issue. He'll provide a copy and I'll post the number here for anyone interested - I am.

Then he asks if I've ever had a problem starting the car. "No, never", I say. Well now it seems that the Service guys discover a problem with the fuse block that effects the starting of the car and according to them could allow the car to start without the key or something similar. Anyway, there's no fix, so now they need to order a new fuse block and that can't happen until Monday. I suspect I won't be getting the SS back until next Wed. or so.

The story will continue, but I'm taking the weekend off and thanks again for all the info, input and support.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by TucsonHHRSS
I'm now driving an Enterprise rental.

Finally heard back from the Service/Customer Rep. who informed me that the tap, tap, tapping was normal and that GM had issued an additional Bulletin regarding the issue. He'll provide a copy and I'll post the number here for anyone interested - I am.

Then he asks if I've ever had a problem starting the car. "No, never", I say. Well now it seems that the Service guys discover a problem with the fuse block that effects the starting of the car and according to them could allow the car to start without the key or something similar. Anyway, there's no fix, so now they need to order a new fuse block and that can't happen until Monday. I suspect I won't be getting the SS back until next Wed. or so.

The story will continue, but I'm taking the weekend off and thanks again for all the info, input and support.
We are not the kind to say We Told You So ...... but!

I am just glad it was what most here suspected. The Tick Tick is going to be very common as most new engines will be Direct Injected. There is going to be a learning curve for many people on this sound for a couple more years.

Most here learned the hard way too on what is normal and what is not so don't feel bad.

Instead of complaining too much I would be glad they are fixing the fuse block.. They could have sent it home very easy and you would have been none the wiser it did what ever wrong it could have done.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 PM

hyperV6
Yes, that did cross my mind, maybe the learning curve with the tapping was fortunate in that it lead to the discovery of the fuse block problem - a silver lining one might say.

Paul

Quick Reply: Valve tap already????