SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Warrany for Sun Roof Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Technical Moderator

The bumper to bumper from GM was 3yr/36000.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Administrator

In post #1 , Bluefan, notes she has an extended warranty , which would be underwritten by another company not GM.
The question is its coverage, power train, most likely!
Bumper to bumper, rarely
Old 07-03-2017, 02:34 PM

I bought my 08 SS as a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle from the Chevrolet dealer and opted for the 30k 3 yr GM extended warranty. I had the same issue with my sunroof and they first denied it because they said the warranty doesn't cover 'glass'. I had to have the Service Manager argue the case that the part broken was not the glass, and they reluctantly agreed and had to fix/replace the sunroof. From what I understand it was a PITA job with the tech having to uninstall the headliner in order to get at the sunroof. Many hours in labor. Not sure if they had to replace they entire sunroof or if the parts for the mechanism were replaced. I sort of remember my service writer saying that the parts for the mechanism were not available. If that is the case it makes sense that the warranty company is not going to want replace the whole sunroof. I think by the time it was all finished it was near a $1000 repair with labor. The $0 deductible $2000 extended warranty was probably the smartest purchased I ever made. In the 30k miles it was in force I was able to get about $5k worth of necessary work done!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Service contracts vary wildly and there are many available - nearly all are 3rd party or even dealer specific.

The finance dept can confirm what coverage policy you purchased. It is possible to review a broad summary of coverage such as your contract copy, but here are some tips:
* Any repair will have specific labor operations or "labor ops" and specific parts. Both will be required by most underwriters or service contract authorities. This is why a shop may be charging diag fees until approval is given.
* Contracts will have inclusion and exclusion lists down to components. This is why you can have air conditioning covered "generally" but not have an individual repair not be.
* Ally for example has an online option where approvals are nearly instant and automated. Others may require direct contact with agent or even an onsite visit from them to confirm diag.

Blahblahblah, all that said, this repair is covered only if your service contract says so. If you know what the repair is you can even call your underwriter directly to confirm. Failing this, you may be able to negotiate on parts and labor with shop if you are paying, aka discount.

Hope that helps
Old 07-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Technical Moderator

"GM Certified Pre-Owned" is supposed to come with a GM backed extended bumper to bumper. The actual original bumper to bumper warranty is extended by GM. Not a third party or dealer sold policy.

Some GM dealer used car sales departments offer a third party insurance policy, that may sound like a GM extended warranty.

Used car salesmen always tell the truth and explain things clearly, so that there are never misunderstandings. Right!
Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 PM

Unlikely this is CPO given it is a 2006 model, but yes, CPO is good for 12/12.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Technical Moderator

I was just reiterating what I said on the first page of this thread. The OP was under the impression that her 2006 used car was covered by a GM warranty that she bought at the time of sale in 2016.

The salesmen in the Finance Dept. have a knack for implying that GM has something to do with the policy. Then the consumer goes to a service writer and thinks they will do something; it is not his job to read your policy, all he can do is submit an estimate.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Sounds about right. Sometimes translates into never expiring warranties or lifetime free oil changes.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 PM
Administrator

There is no such thing as a free lunch!
A friend needed a car, desperately she signed a $400.00 a month for 60 months deal for a then brand new 2000 Neon Total cost $24,000.00, she swore the salesman promised no interest would be charged!
Her sister liked the little econobox went in to the same dealer, said I've only got $16,000.00 cash, can we make a deal, she drove home , with floor mats and mud flaps installed, taxes and PDI included.
The same salesman, said he had just sold a Neon to a dumb blonde who couldn't do the math!
Guess it pays to save your lunch money and return your empties for deposit!!
The first girl left her keys in the ignition 2 weeks later , the car was stolen, never recovered!