Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   WTF is going on? I can't get My SS tuned... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/wtf-going-i-cant-get-my-ss-tuned-56550/)

Kelly Williams 03-15-2016 05:05 PM

WTF is going on? I can't get My SS tuned...

1 Attachment(s)
I don't understand the the heck is going on, I have paid for 2 tunes and both have been refunded to me. I first paid for a Trifecta tune with BadNewsRacing and they said, and I quote,

"GM recently modified the TCM control software for the HHR SS A/T vehicle in a way that does not allow us to offer calibrations for them any longer".

So I decide to buy a SuperChips tuner for $339, which I first went to SuperChips.com and Amazon.com and they both say that the Flashpaq F5 works for 08 HHR SS. I just got off the phone with SuperChips tech support and they say it unfortunately does not work for any HHR SS's. And not sure why the websites say it does.

WTF has GM done to regulations that is causing this? and if someone will tune my SS, where are they and how can I call them?

Attachment 47929

firemangeorge 03-15-2016 05:23 PM

Well that's a new one on me. There are plenty of folks that have done a tune on a SS.

Going way out on a limb here. Could it be some sort of a California thing ?

Kelly Williams 03-15-2016 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 799112)
Well that's a new one on me. There are plenty of folks that have done a tune on a SS.

Going way out on a limb here. Could it be some sort of a California thing ?

Thats a possibility, but why wouldn't they tell me that if thats true?

donbrew 03-15-2016 05:56 PM

I vaguely remember hearing something.

However; if you have not had your computers reprogrammed by a GM shop, "they" could not physically do something to prevent tuning.

Kelly Williams 03-15-2016 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 799116)
I vaguely remember hearing something.

However; if you have not had your computers reprogrammed by a GM shop, "they" could not physically do something to prevent tuning.

Yeah but they could make a new change to regulation and scare everyone away from wanting to deal with a headache.

wow, I just uploaded these pics of my HHR and wow people really hate HHR's, some not so nice comments, lol HHR SS

DrLoch 03-15-2016 07:38 PM

First I've heard of that. I suggest you try and find a tuner with HPtuners in your area. Try looking at the colbaltss site.

donbrew 03-15-2016 08:14 PM

Yeah, that's it! They declared a Copyright violation under DMCA for even putting your fingers on the modules.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/loun...gn-cars-53661/

firemangeorge 03-15-2016 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kelly Williams (Post 799119)

wow, I just uploaded these pics of my HHR and wow people really hate HHR's, some not so nice comments, lol HHR SS

No offense, but posting up 340 hp on a car that's only rated at 260 hp. Yeah, that could get you some negative comments.

Kelly Williams 03-15-2016 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 799136)
No offense, but posting up 340 hp on a car that's only rated at 260 hp. Yeah, that could get you some negative comments.

I guess I should have clarified that 340 is a guesstimate with my mods/bolt ons.

donbrew 03-15-2016 09:49 PM

So, anyway it wasn't GM making regulations, it was somebody in Congress making a law.

Remember this the next time you think "there oughta be a law".

firemangeorge 03-15-2016 09:54 PM

?? What mods ?
I've read your other posts and what you've done to your car. There's nothing there to give you an extra 80 hp. You haven't even tuned it yet.
I'm running the GMTU with a few extra bolt on mods. I MIGHT be getting close to 300 hp but I'll bet it's actually closer to the GMTU's advertised 290.

Fwiw. Without an added tune, the stock GM tune has a torque management program. Even if you throw a bunch of bolt on's to your car, without a revised tune, the torque management won't let it increase the power output.

aradmahogany 03-16-2016 07:11 AM

We are all pretty well versed and educated with what these cars are capable of, its an HHR forum LOL. Still, nice and clean SS, but saying it puts out 340 HP is like saying my LT puts down 250 HP. My rally striped do add AT LEAST 80 HP so I do not think I am too far off.

Oldblue 03-16-2016 08:17 AM

I'm happy with what ever HP my 2.2 puts out, it can get out of it's own way, and hit 100 mph when needed. It cruises nicely at 80 to 85 mph when the rest of the traffic is moving that speed.
Did you try these guys?

https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...ss_electronics

Dbeluscak 03-17-2016 09:00 PM

I'm happily tuning my wife's 08 SS with HP Tuners. No lock out here! And since it's down for winter, I've been tuning grandma's 07 2.2 for e85. Just for fun... I've been contemplating buying all the hhr vin licenses for remote tuning capabilities.

But...things tend to go south there.

donbrew 03-17-2016 09:27 PM

It's not a lockout, it's a copyright legal thing. I'm not a lawyer,but I think that if you do the uploading yourself, like HP Tuners does it THEY are OK. The person that actually fiddles with the firmware is violating the copyright, the person that modifies a LEGALLY obtained copy of the program is not liable. However, the program & tables are owned by GM, they are taking that to include the physical module also.

In other words, watch out for the undercover copyright police!

Tbone1319 03-23-2016 10:04 PM

That's crazy. I'm using superchips. I wonder how they are going to handle there current customers.

Kelly Williams 03-26-2016 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 799139)
?? What mods ?
I've read your other posts and what you've done to your car. There's nothing there to give you an extra 80 hp. You haven't even tuned it yet.
I'm running the GMTU with a few extra bolt on mods. I MIGHT be getting close to 300 hp but I'll bet it's actually closer to the GMTU's advertised 290.

Fwiw. Without an added tune, the stock GM tune has a torque management program. Even if you throw a bunch of bolt on's to your car, without a revised tune, the torque management won't let it increase the power output.

I have a K&N air intake, Forge BOV, and the day I posted that is the day I just recieved my SuperChips tuner and I was being stupid and guestamating something I know nothing about which in the end didn't work. I also didn't know my images were going to be shown on the front page of imgur and didn't think I was going to be judged. I've since figured out how to change the title image gallery.

Kelly Williams 03-26-2016 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone1319 (Post 799601)
That's crazy. I'm using superchips. I wonder how they are going to handle there current customers.

I think its a problem with only A/T automatic transmission HHR SS's, but I'm not 100% sure.

DrLoch 03-27-2016 09:16 AM

look at your other posting about the turbo for more answers

Kelly Williams 04-18-2016 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm still not sure why I've had all this trouble getting any kind of tune on my HHR SS, but I contacted Trifecta directly and they said they will do it for me.

It's $415 for the tune with the cable, $400 without the cable. The cable is always included in the cost of the tune apparently. If you already have a cable then you just don't pay the shipping cost which is $15.

So my mods so far will be:
K&N intake
Forge BOV
Bosch GM stage 1 sensors
Trifecta tune (fingers crossed)

-Non engine mods:
Blacked out side markers,
Blacked out LED tail lights,
Blacked out head lights,
Blacked out SS and Chevy emblems,
Drilled and slotted rotors and new brakes,
SSC (1.5inch) lowering springs from ZZPerformance.

Newest picture after installing the SSC lowering springs:
Attachment 47928

Dbeluscak 04-18-2016 07:27 PM

Trouble with that is tuning and diagnosis. Real world testing is key to getting a tune to perform properly. Sending logs and tunes back and forth is quite time consuming. Totally up to you obviously, I recommend finding a good tuner with access to a dyno. Unfortunately with our LNF, that is more often easier said than done.

Here's a thread to check out;https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...omments-56295/

DrLoch 04-19-2016 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak (Post 801486)
Trouble with that is tuning and diagnosis. Real world testing is key to getting a tune to perform properly. Sending logs and tunes back and forth is quite time consuming. Totally up to you obviously, I recommend finding a good tuner with access to a dyno. Unfortunately with our LNF, that is more often easier said than done.

Oh so true

Kelly Williams 05-09-2016 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kelly Williams (Post 801440)
So I'm still not sure why I've had all this trouble getting any kind of tune on my HHR SS, but I contacted Trifecta directly and they said they will do it for me.

It's $415 for the tune with the cable, $400 without the cable. The cable is always included in the cost of the tune apparently. If you already have a cable then you just don't pay the shipping cost which is $15.

So my mods so far will be:
K&N intake
Forge BOV
Bosch GM stage 1 sensors
Trifecta tune (fingers crossed)

So on the 30th of April(Saturday) I purchased the Trifecta tune for $415 and today is May 9th(Monday) and I still have no tune. I contacted them on May 6th(Friday) and they said I should have it by the end of that day. Then they contact me on May 7th(Saturday) because I was one digit off on my VIN and apologized for taking so long, due to personal issues.

Am I ever going to get a tune done? I have my doubts :pullinghair:

Kelly Williams 05-09-2016 04:15 PM

So less than 2 hours after my last post, I just got my tune. LOL... Lets see if it works...