SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

WTF is going on? I can't get My SS tuned...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

?? What mods ?
I've read your other posts and what you've done to your car. There's nothing there to give you an extra 80 hp. You haven't even tuned it yet.
I'm running the GMTU with a few extra bolt on mods. I MIGHT be getting close to 300 hp but I'll bet it's actually closer to the GMTU's advertised 290.

Fwiw. Without an added tune, the stock GM tune has a torque management program. Even if you throw a bunch of bolt on's to your car, without a revised tune, the torque management won't let it increase the power output.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 AM

We are all pretty well versed and educated with what these cars are capable of, its an HHR forum LOL. Still, nice and clean SS, but saying it puts out 340 HP is like saying my LT puts down 250 HP. My rally striped do add AT LEAST 80 HP so I do not think I am too far off.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:17 AM
Administrator

I'm happy with what ever HP my 2.2 puts out, it can get out of it's own way, and hit 100 mph when needed. It cruises nicely at 80 to 85 mph when the rest of the traffic is moving that speed.
Did you try these guys?

https://www.modernperformance.com/pr...ss_electronics
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 PM

I'm happily tuning my wife's 08 SS with HP Tuners. No lock out here! And since it's down for winter, I've been tuning grandma's 07 2.2 for e85. Just for fun... I've been contemplating buying all the hhr vin licenses for remote tuning capabilities.

But...things tend to go south there.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:27 PM

It's not a lockout, it's a copyright legal thing. I'm not a lawyer,but I think that if you do the uploading yourself, like HP Tuners does it THEY are OK. The person that actually fiddles with the firmware is violating the copyright, the person that modifies a LEGALLY obtained copy of the program is not liable. However, the program & tables are owned by GM, they are taking that to include the physical module also.

In other words, watch out for the undercover copyright police!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:04 PM

That's crazy. I'm using superchips. I wonder how they are going to handle there current customers.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
?? What mods ?
I've read your other posts and what you've done to your car. There's nothing there to give you an extra 80 hp. You haven't even tuned it yet.
I'm running the GMTU with a few extra bolt on mods. I MIGHT be getting close to 300 hp but I'll bet it's actually closer to the GMTU's advertised 290.

Fwiw. Without an added tune, the stock GM tune has a torque management program. Even if you throw a bunch of bolt on's to your car, without a revised tune, the torque management won't let it increase the power output.
I have a K&N air intake, Forge BOV, and the day I posted that is the day I just recieved my SuperChips tuner and I was being stupid and guestamating something I know nothing about which in the end didn't work. I also didn't know my images were going to be shown on the front page of imgur and didn't think I was going to be judged. I've since figured out how to change the title image gallery.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone1319
That's crazy. I'm using superchips. I wonder how they are going to handle there current customers.
I think its a problem with only A/T automatic transmission HHR SS's, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 AM

look at your other posting about the turbo for more answers
Old 04-18-2016, 01:28 PM

So I'm still not sure why I've had all this trouble getting any kind of tune on my HHR SS, but I contacted Trifecta directly and they said they will do it for me.

It's $415 for the tune with the cable, $400 without the cable. The cable is always included in the cost of the tune apparently. If you already have a cable then you just don't pay the shipping cost which is $15.

So my mods so far will be:
K&N intake
Forge BOV
Bosch GM stage 1 sensors
Trifecta tune (fingers crossed)

-Non engine mods:
Blacked out side markers,
Blacked out LED tail lights,
Blacked out head lights,
Blacked out SS and Chevy emblems,
Drilled and slotted rotors and new brakes,
SSC (1.5inch) lowering springs from ZZPerformance.

Newest picture after installing the SSC lowering springs:
Name:  aChiEbE.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  1.79 MB

Quick Reply: WTF is going on? I can't get My SS tuned...