Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Changing to larger tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 PM

Question Changing to larger tire sizes

I'm sorry if this was covered somewhere else - but I didn't see exactly what i was wanting to know.
I have a 2007 LT1? I bought it used and I assume the wheels that are on it are OEM.
I have 215 / 55 / 16 tires on it now. The same size that I have always run on it.
It has always seemed to me that a tire with a taller side wall rides smoother. (it may just be my preference)
Anyway; I was curious what size tire I could put on to have a taller side wall.
I was hoping to get something a little wider also; but I am guessing I won't get to do both just because it may hit some of the suspension components
I assume this is all the info you need to know to give me a answer. If you need something else I'll try to get that also.

Then I wondered how much a taller tire may throw my speedometer off.?? (significant... or to small an amount to worry about??)
Any help appreciated.
I have a 6,000+ mile road trip coming up and I'm due for new tires so I wanted to get something to make the car ride it's best.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

My 2008 2LT Panel, I have long ago up-sized my tires, both wider & taller. from 215/50/17 to 225/50/17. This pic is the clearance I had in front above tire to Strut plate.
Tire is 26.1" Tall when new. My Speed-O is off by about 2-3 mph, I'm going faster than speed-o reads.

More sidewall will definitely give a softer ride. You are running 16's, I'd look up the height of your current tire & check alternatives. Bearing in mind, not to go much over 26 inches tall.

26.1" tall tire clearance to strut
Old 01-09-2020, 11:11 PM

I run 215/60/16 Michelin Ice Xi3 and that is as large as you can put on the front.
O.D. .... 26.1"
Tread width 7"
Stock 16" steel wheels.
The 60 aspect ratio will give a slight improvement but it also depends on the air pressures you use.
With the 1LT model you can set the front and rear at 30psi cold for the best ride.
That should not set off the low tire limit light unless you get extremely cold weather.
Keep in mind this recommendation is with a specific tire and you need to keep that in mind as all tire Makes and Models can vary some.
Check on The Tire Rack site to see what the tire you choose measures looking under the Spec's.
Don't worry about the speedo. Very minor.

Silverfox

Old 01-22-2020, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the replies so far
Sorry I got away for a while
So if what I am reading is correct; I should be able to go to Tire Rack site and compare what you two are running; I should be able to see what I can go up to without any issues.
Sounds like I basically need to look at maximum height (sounds like 26") and maximum width?
Anything else I should know - anything to look out for?
THANKS
Old 01-22-2020, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_T
Thanks for the replies so far
Sorry I got away for a while
So if what I am reading is correct; I should be able to go to Tire Rack site and compare what you two are running; I should be able to see what I can go up to without any issues.
Sounds like I basically need to look at maximum height (sounds like 26") and maximum width?
Anything else I should know - anything to look out for?
THANKS

Realise that the same tire "size" varies from brand to brand and even between styles within the same brand... A tire size calculator will give a "rough guesstimate" of actual mounted dimensions. Wheel width makes a difference too.

Pretty much what I'm saying is don't get into the mindset of "Okay 26 inch maximum... I want exactly that" Then find some size that the internet says should fit, then change brand, change style, buy them and find out they aren't going to fit after mounting on your wheels. I don't know what it is, but there is some kind of "allowed variance" within these tire size specs.

I'm running 225/55/r16, which would be a safe size for your car. When I first got a set this size I bought Goodyear Eagle GT tires. After they wore out I got the same size in a Cooper Zeon. The Goodyear was both wider and slightly taller that the Cooper within the same size specs.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM

Thanks Greybeard
Yeah _ spent several hours looking at tires today and trying to figure out what would fia and what wouldn't
When I finishes my eyes were spinning in circles and I didn't know any more than when I started... LOL
I did find various comments about ride and road noise which is important to me.
Since I have a 215 / 55 / 16 I was HOPING maybe I could go to a 225 / 60 / 16... little taller / little wider.... and be good all around.??

I'm on disability and don't drive a lot. Maybe 10K a year outside of my one road trip to the west coast per year. I generally don't get out in bad weather unless I have an appointment and I "have" to.
I have two tires just wearing out and they been on the car 4+ years.
I guess what I am getting at is I don't buy tires often and would like to get as much improved ride and handling as possible.
Sounds like it'll be "small" increase; but anything helps; especially when I make those long long trips.
I'm all ears to anyone that wants to comment and offer advice.
THANKS to everyone
Old 01-23-2020, 04:21 AM
Platinum Member

The 225 / 60 / 16 size you mentioned above is too tall. It specs out at 26.6 inches. It would rub on the front lower strut perch.
Keep in mind that you need to look at tires that are around 26.2 inches or LESS.

FYI. You said you have 2 tires wearing out. If you go with a different size tire, replace all 4. Don't mix 2 new taller tires with 2 old tires as all 4 tires need to be the same size.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:28 PM

OK - I found some that run out at 26.1 so that would probably be OK
The issue I am having is when I put in my car it always shows me what came OEM and not what "could" fit.
thanks
Old 01-23-2020, 06:12 PM

Buy a 72 Buick if you want a soft ride. Modern cars are made stiff because we consumers have demanded it. Stiff = performance; faster corners, better braking less chance of roll over etc.

You will have to argue with the tire sales weasel if you want to put any tire size other than what is on the tire placard, some may even refuse on liability grounds.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:58 PM

LOL. I traded off a 1996 Caddy when I got my HHR

Quick Reply: Changing to larger tire sizes