Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Cheap tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Cheap tires

So I'm having a hard time finding used tires in a size that will fit. I have been considering some of the cheaper sort of off brand tires, and was wondering if anyone has any first, or hell even second hand experience with any Nexen, Sunny, Nankang, etc tires? Even if you just know someone who's tried them and mentioned about it I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

Now I'm not trying to be a ***** here, but I'd really like to keep to people who have any experience with these tires. I have tried some searching around and it seems like a good amount of owners liked them, but then the whole community lambasted them for buying "cheap Chinese crap" or what have you, and one man's unsubstantiated opinion doesn't seem to be a good source of fact. It seems like on some review websites they get pretty mixed opinions, but in those cases I sort of assume you're about twice as likely to comment on a bad product as a mediocre+ one; unless it's absolutely phenomenal.

Anyway, would love to hear from people. There's a local place I can get 4x Sunny SN3800 tires for $450 out the door, and I've seen some other small shops offering other cheap brands.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Deceased

The thing about "Sunny" brand tires, and others like them, is that they are made in China. For my money, and yours too I think, wouldn't you rather be rolling on tires with at least some quality control.

Chinese made tires have killed folks in the past when they have failed in catastrophic ways at highway speeds, sure some accidents could have been avoided because people panic when a tire blows, but you'd never find me rolling on Chinese rubber.

My advice would be to keep looking and talk to a local tire shop, many "name" brands like Goodyear, Cooper, Bridgestone-Firestone, and BF Goodrich have what are called "private label" tires that they make for sale by places like Midas, Monroe Muffler, etc.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:05 PM

I agree. I put some Falken SN-828 tires on my van. Got 'em at Discount Tire. They sucked, and wore out in 28k miles. The only good part of it all was that Discount gave me a ~$35/tire credit toward replacements. Be VERY wary. My tires were made in Thailand, and not the PRC. I still think there's a difference,even there (downslope). Just my .02...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Deceased

Exactly Blue, you need to see where the tires are made, that even goes for the "Big Brands".

One piece of advice my Grandpa's both told me, and it has always held true, is to buy the best tires you can afford because they can be the difference between life and death.

The "Mystery Wonder Radials" that the car lot put on my "new" used panel are from , Hercules. I'd never heard of them, but according to some digging I did on Google, they are affiliated with Cooper and my tires were made in Canada. And for what its worth, they aren't half bad, not Continental's or anything....but not half bad either.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
The thing about "Sunny" brand tires, and others like them, is that they are made in China. For my money, and yours too I think, wouldn't you rather be rolling on tires with at least some quality control.

Chinese made tires have killed folks in the past when they have failed in catastrophic ways at highway speeds, sure some accidents could have been avoided because people panic when a tire blows, but you'd never find me rolling on Chinese rubber.

My advice would be to keep looking and talk to a local tire shop, many "name" brands like Goodyear, Cooper, Bridgestone-Firestone, and BF Goodrich have what are called "private label" tires that they make for sale by places like Midas, Monroe Muffler, etc.
Firestones killed people too.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Firestones killed people too.
Yes they did.....
Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by havoc3d
So I'm having a hard time finding used tires in a size that will fit. I have been considering some of the cheaper sort of off brand tires, and was wondering if anyone has any first, or hell even second hand experience with any Nexen, Sunny, Nankang, etc tires? Even if you just know someone who's tried them and mentioned about it I'd be interested to hear thoughts.

Now I'm not trying to be a ***** here, but I'd really like to keep to people who have any experience with these tires. I have tried some searching around and it seems like a good amount of owners liked them, but then the whole community lambasted them for buying "cheap Chinese crap" or what have you, and one man's unsubstantiated opinion doesn't seem to be a good source of fact. It seems like on some review websites they get pretty mixed opinions, but in those cases I sort of assume you're about twice as likely to comment on a bad product as a mediocre+ one; unless it's absolutely phenomenal.

Anyway, would love to hear from people. There's a local place I can get 4x Sunny SN3800 tires for $450 out the door, and I've seen some other small shops offering other cheap brands.
What I look at is $/guaranteed mile. I have never had a tire wear out before the guaranteed mileage. 4 for $450 should be 75,000 mile tires with free lifetime balancing and rotation, if not do some more shopping. I don't have my receipt here but I think I paid less than $400 for 75000 miles tires at Pepboys.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:57 PM

A good point. I feel like people like to sort of hate on anything chinese as crap, but I rarely hear much first hand to back it up.

My chinese brakes from ebay have been doing very well for several thousand miles now. I'm not saying everything is good from china either, I just feel like instantly discounting something due to country of origin is a little "der tekkin ar jerbs!"
Old 06-08-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What I look at is $/guaranteed mile. I have never had a tire wear out before the guaranteed mileage. 4 for $450 should be 75,000 mile tires with free lifetime balancing and rotation, if not do some more shopping. I don't have my receipt here but I think I paid less than $400 for 75000 miles tires at Pepboys.
Check sig. I have an SS...225/45-18...they don't even make 75k tires for that. Best is about 50k warranty, and about the best I can do on those is around $700 out the door. Can get it down to maybe $600 while sticking to anything name brand-ish, but that's about the best I have been able to do. Current Hankooks are basically tapped at 60k, which is better than their warranty (40k). Just looking if I can get 2/3 wear at 2/3 cost I might have to go that route this time around.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

Put some of these on it I noticed it's an SS, you wont believe how sweet they ride, made every little rattle disappear. Go to discount tire they will match the Tirerack price, put your 400.00 down and get a small payment, You will fall in love with your SS all over again. I have 15000 on them now and they have lost 2/32nds. I am not a very nice to my tires. 255x40 and 225x45
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Cheap tires