Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred Tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred Tire

Has anybody tried these yet? Yesterday we had about 5 inches of snow, and my factory Firehawk tires with 24k miles are terrible. Tread is getting low, but they are a handful compared to last year. I barely made it up a small inclined street, then later almost hit a parked car when I turned a corner. My buddies tire store strongly recommends the Goodyear TripleTred, but they are very expensive. They do have an 80k mile warranty.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:05 PM

I have them on my hhr and I love them I installed them on my car at 500 miles. the firestone tires didn't work very well in snow
Old 12-20-2008, 08:15 PM

I installed these late this summer. I highly recommend them over the factory Firehawks especially on snow and Ice. after 2 winters with the Firehawks I was scared to go a third. The Goodyears make the car much more predictable when the weather turns nasty. I have also noticed that the wet weather performance is much better.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 AM

I was wondering how well these worked as well.

The other ones i was looking at were the "BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S". These ones are supposed to be great in all conditions and test them up at Michigan Tech in the Michigan UP. Lots of videos and such on them.

None the less i am going to try and making it at least one winter if not more in the stock tires. I don't have the extra cash to drop 5-600 on a new set o tires. We got an ice storm here last week and i took the hhr out into a parking lot to try it out. The stock tires did alright, but that wasn't in deep snow either, We'll see if that changes my mind..

Depending on where you go, ask them if you qualify for any discounts or look for coupons on line (google "___________ coupons"). When i went to Discount Tire to get some new ones for my wife's aveo, the guy gave me the price it was like $415 or something around there, i just asked if i can get a discount, and he says how about $375 out the door. Figured that would be fine. Nice and cheap for hers though since her tires are tiny.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:44 AM

Actually there is a 10 per tire rebate in Janurary, but the owner said he would get it for me anyway. I was originally going to try to put it off, but the winter is just begining and this is our main family car and I want it to be safe. I a consider myself to be a very experienced driver (not to brag, but since I was 17 I have done all types of racing, including drag, autocross, rallies, and even a timetrial at Bridgehampton). Plus, I used to spend hours in empty parking lots practising skids in the snow. Even now, I always test the conditions when I drive on empty roads, just to see how the car will react. But when I made a slow turn and had the car go straight, nearly hitting a parked car, I knew something had to be done. I dont mind skidding when I am in control, but ...

(Back in my youth I sold Mazdas for 6 months. (None of my personal cars were front wheel drive) I used to enjoy driving down the street and pulling up on the hand brake and turning the wheel so the car was at a 45 degree angle, then hitting the gas and sending snow all over the people on the sidewalk.) Now I realize how obnoxious it was, but back then it seemed cool. Still, I liked showing off how I could control the car.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:47 AM

I've got a set on my HHR and they were a noticeable improvement over the stockers in the near constant wet weather we have here during the winter. Good tire but like you noted expensive.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:34 PM

But as was said before-you can not put a price on safety. And they are supposed to be good for 80,000 miles. (But I assume they are prorated).
Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 PM

Here is the Survey From tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ating=S#Survey

Also there opinion of what the tire was designed for.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nce+TripleTred
Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 AM

At their price they won't beat the Nokian WR.

Talked with owners of the Goodyear Triple, driven a Cobalt SS with them for skins and its no contest once you hit a muddy dirt road or ice. The Nokian WR just does a way better job hands down for an All Season tire with an aggressive driver behind the wheel.

Addendum: Anything is better than the OEM Firestone Chicken Hawks.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the repliles. I got them installed on Tuesday so I will see how they do. I also got an 80 buck rebate (up from 40 since I got a new Goodyear credit card) so it brought the price down a bit.

On dry pavement I can still smoke them at 1/4 throttle. But that is probably just the raw power of my Ecotech.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Assurance TripleTred Tire