Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Has anybody tried these yet? Yesterday we had about 5 inches of snow, and my factory Firehawk tires with 24k miles are terrible. Tread is getting low, but they are a handful compared to last year. I barely made it up a small inclined street, then later almost hit a parked car when I turned a corner. My buddies tire store strongly recommends the Goodyear TripleTred, but they are very expensive. They do have an 80k mile warranty.
When I went looking for a good all season tire I went one step past the Assurance to the Eagle F1 All Season. I've had them on the car for 21,000 miles and 18 months and their performance in both the wet and the dry has been oustanding...clearly better than the OE Firestones and quieter.

For more info on my experience with these tires, see https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ighlight=Eagle
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM

The F1's look great but I didnt really need that hi performance a tire, nor did I want to spend that much money. The TripleTreds were more than enough. So far they really are great. And I do not know why people complain about the noise-they dont seem too loud to me. Besides, there is a little knob on the side of my radio and when I turn it the tires get quieter.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
Thanks for the repliles. I got them installed on Tuesday so I will see how they do. I also got an 80 buck rebate (up from 40 since I got a new Goodyear credit card) so it brought the price down a bit.

On dry pavement I can still smoke them at 1/4 throttle. But that is probably just the raw power of my Ecotech.
I didn't notice much of a difference with the Goodyears on dry pavement over the Firehawks. I can still break them loose if I get into it. However I think that is the only thing the Firehawks were decent at. Wet and Snow are a night and day difference.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
I didn't notice much of a difference with the Goodyears on dry pavement over the Firehawks. I can still break them loose if I get into it. However I think that is the only thing the Firehawks were decent at. Wet and Snow are a night and day difference.
Exactly. Now I dont know how I survived with those factory tires all these years. Plus, the Goodyear tires have a special chemical to keep the sidewalls nice and black so they dont get that brownish look from the weather. If only they came with raised white letters...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:54 AM

Have you noticed a hit in mpg? That was one of the complaints about the Triple Treds

Goose
Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 AM

I have not tried the Assurance TripleTred on an HHR but, before we bought the HHR, we tested TripleTreds on a Toyota Camry comparing them to a set of Dunlops we took off. Over quite a distance (about 35,000 miles) the mileage was, in a practical sense, the same but the TripleTreds had better wet traction and they looked a heck of a lot better when we sold the car, whereas the Dunlops were this ugly black-brown color when we took them off.

Had I decided not to test the F1 AS or had I been on a tighter budget, because of my previous good experience with the tires on the Camry, I'd have put TripleTreds on the HHR.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:14 PM

i don't know

about the 3x treads. but i have heard at least 1 bash on the original firestone firehawk gtas. i give the firehawks 2 thumbs up. it recently snowed here 4ins , i was doing just as well as , and better than some. they also have done pretty good in rain. i don't know if my hhr is out of tune or what , but i can barely get them to break traction at all when dry.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM

I am on the second set of Triple Treads on my 04 GP and on my first set on the HHR SS for winter tires.

I can not say one thing bad about these tires. They go throught the deepest snow with no issues, Sure footed on ice, Great in water and handle very well for an non performance tire.

As of this winter use. We have several winters in the GP and with this winter with the daily snow in the HHR I have had no issues. There have been no problems with traction starting or stopping in some of the most slippery conditions. Note the city seldom plows our street so if I can make the hill on my street I can make it anywhere.

As for a drop in MPG I have no idea what they are speaking about. My mileage is the same before or after.

The Triple Tread is as good of a All Season Tire as your going to buy.

Right now with the rebates you can get some good deals with the tire rack.

I got my 16" for $102 less $10 rebate and I used my dads employee discount for another $20.

Also don't think I am biased since my dad retired from there as for quite a few years they had some awful tires. In the last few they have been replacing many of the bad lines with some of the best tires on the maket. If your going to buy Goodyear don't buy any of the old tires like the RSA etc as they are crap. Most of these line have been cut to only a few sizes anyway.