Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Need Tire Repair Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Keep the old one that is good, they usually tack on a hidden charge for disposing of your old tires
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM

keep the old one, or two best...definately. They will probably charge you a tire disposal fee, which they have to pay to have the old tirs hauled away. We never made it a 'hidden cost'...we had a HUGE sign stating why, and where the old tires go.

take 'em home, and keep them. If you ever need to get rid of them later, your local gas station will probably take them for free.

you could always buy a steel wheel, and have one mounted on there for a full size spare as well.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure here in NY we have to pay the $5 disposal fee per tire regardless if they actually dispose of the tires or if you want them back. It's state mandated and legal for tire place to do. They don't hide the charge, they just tack it on the bill.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 AM

yep...here in Calif, the consumer had a choice...all we had to do was record the DOT number on a form that showed which new tires were installed, and which tires the consumer elected to take home with them.

...as if anyone would ever trace the DOT numbers. It did however some in handy during a recall.

back when I sold tires, there were 2 charges...

75 cent disposal
25 cent haul....so it was only $1.00

when customer's would complain, I'd tell them 'fine, we'll just throw your old tires in the back seat, sound good?'
Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the info! We have some very lax rules here on hauling waste and I've had 9 flat tires since 1998. This will be the 4th tire I've had to replace. I want to be prepared for when the next one goes. Besides, we have no vehicle inspections and there are shops that sell used tires. It would be better to sell them than pay to have them destroyed. Also, I'd give one to another HHR owner who need it for the cost of shipping only.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:36 PM

I usually fix all my tires with plugs. $3 for four plugs at Wal Mart. Say what you will, but on a previous car I drove 3 years on a plugged tire, even exceeded speeds of 100 MPH.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM

The dealership I go to only uses plugs to repair tires that are repairable.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:04 PM

tire plugs have come a long way over the years. Just be warned that tire manufacturers will not warranty any tire that has a plug.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
tire plugs have come a long way over the years. Just be warned that tire manufacturers will not warranty any tire that has a plug.
We use a combination plug/patch. You have to break the tire down and install from the inside out. They work great because you get the best of both worlds. They look like a regular patch with a long plug in the middle of the patch. Never had one leak so far in 2 years of usage and no problem with any warranties.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:54 AM

I had a similiar spot where a roofing nail got me. I was going to just get it fixed ans was tols that it was within 1 inch of the sidewall it can not be fixed legally. I have about 9K on the tires then. Lucky for me, I called the roofer that did my roof, showed him the tire with the nail still in it and they paid to replace that tire. SO I know I will have one that will last longer than the others, but the differance in overall height is so minimal, it won't make any differance.

Quick Reply: Need Tire Repair Help