Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

New Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 09:37 AM

New Tires?

The old Firestones are getting a little bare.

What I would like to hear from the great people here is what is one of the
best riding tires they have experienced on the HHR.

Will be getting 215/50R 17s. Hopefully matching the 90T rating on there now.

Usually buy Coopers but the only one they have in my size is a V rated with XL load capacity. I don't really need the extra load capacity and am afraid the extra stifness will cause a rougher ride.

Suggestions?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Deke40
The old Firestones are getting a little bare.
What I would like to hear from the great people here is what is one of the
best riding tires they have experienced on the HHR.

Will be getting 215/50R 17s. Hopefully matching the 90T rating on there now.

Usually buy Coopers but the only one they have in my size is a V rated with XL load capacity. I don't really need the extra load capacity and am afraid the extra stifness will cause a rougher ride.

If harsh ride or quietness is an issue then these are worth looking into.

Read my latest post on the Michelin X-Ice tire.....I'm impressed with the quietness and soft ride of this tire. Go to the Michelin web site and read the data.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 06-17-2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Deceased

Continental Extreme Contact DWS's work really nice, so do the Eagle GT's.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:03 AM

In this tire size you will not get a truly "good" ride. They are low profile and intended more for handling than a "good" ride. That said I have Kelly Springfield Navigator Touring Gold. They are a much improved ride over the stock Firestones, but not what I would consider a "good" ride when compared to a cushy sedan tire. Still the Kellys are one of the best tires I have ever owned aside from the Yokohamas I had on my Catera. The Kellys are excellent in the rain and handle pretty decently.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM

Here's a second vote for the Continental DWS. I love the ones on my chrome smoothies. Much better ride, handling, and quieter than the stock Michelins. Of course, I went from 18" (SS) to 16" and kept the same outside diameter, so the tires are much taller (thus better ride, all things being equal). If you can afford to do so, go to 16" if ride is one of your primary concerns.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
In this tire size you will not get a truly "good" ride. They are low profile and intended more for handling than a "good" ride. That said I have Kelly Springfield Navigator Touring Gold. They are a much improved ride over the stock Firestones, but not what I would consider a "good" ride when compared to a cushy sedan tire. Still the Kellys are one of the best tires I have ever owned aside from the Yokohamas I had on my Catera. The Kellys are excellent in the rain and handle pretty decently.
You are absolutely correct about the low profile concept and the ride quality.

The static loaded radius of the tire changes drastically as you go from a 15" wheel to a 16" 17" or 18" wheel.

These 17-18-19-20" wheels are primarily for:
Handling/Body roll/lean
Fuel Mileage/less flexing
Fashion/Looks/Style

Some cars are better engineered for the harsher ride of these larger wheels but some are not.
When you add the firmer seating to the larger tire/wheel you get a noticeable Harsh ride in my opinion.

My Michelin X-ICE Post was a fair comparison with P215/75R/15 tires on a Mini Van. I have driven this vehicle for 93,000 miles so I have driven under all conditions. The improvements in quietness and softness of ride are accurate for this comparrison and I feel if you stick to the 16" HHR wheels you will derive most of the benefits I experienced.
The downside of leaving the X-Ice tire on all year would be OA tire mileage with the softer compounding. Also there could be issues if you drive in extremely hot climates at higher speeds for longer periods of time.
Those issues do not apply where I live so I have chosen to leave them on year around and not fight the mob when the snow flies in the fall to get my snow tires installed.
Personally I dislike changing tires and wheels every winter as you have to deal with the possibility of some Tire Jockey screwing up something.
I always hand torque my wheels and check them once a year or when I move fronts to the rear and rears to the front.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Waited over two weeks after ordering some Cooper CS4s from my local dealer and gave up on getting them and ordered some Bridgestone Turanza Serenitys from Discount Tire. Should be in by Monday will post on them.

Last edited by Deke40; 06-16-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

I just switched to potenza 760's super smooth ride
Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM

Yokohama Avid TRZ
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM

re

agree with doc & silverfox - nitto nuf' said

Quick Reply: New Tires?