Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Now I'm testing the Assurance TripleTred

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Only thing I don't like about the Triple's is they are directional. I'd rather be able cross rotate them. I've got 72,000 on them now and plan on going thru this winter with them b/4 replacing in the spring. Rotated every 6,000 and rebalanced every other rotation, normally run at 36 psi and loaded up for a long trip run at 40 psi.

Haven't had any problems or complaints... so far.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

No time for touring I love the F-1's and 70,000 on the same tires would bore me. Thanks for the good advice Hib

sam

a
Old 01-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by skyeglen
Only thing I don't like about the Triple's is they are directional. I'd rather be able cross rotate them. I've got 72,000 on them now and plan on going thru this winter with them b/4 replacing in the spring. Rotated every 6,000 and rebalanced every other rotation, normally run at 36 psi and loaded up for a long trip run at 40 psi.

I have to agree on the directional tread. But then again if we did not have it the wet traction would suffer. Things like this are trade offs.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by TiggersHHR
Hib, good luck with those TripleTreads tires!!!! I consider myself a rather relaxed driver and I only got 37,000 miles out of a supposedly 80,000 mile tire. Recently I had to get them replaced because the edges were feathering and causing excessive noise. Contacted Goodyear and took my HHR to the local Goodyear dealer. Was told my tires only had about 4/32 tread left and needed replaced. Dealer had stated that he was not impressed with the TripleTread either and would have suggested a different tire to start with. I wish you better luck with your set of TripleTreads. I might have gotten a bum set, don't know - my set was made around the time Goodyear employees were on strike. I will say this about the tire - they started off great and I really liked them. But put enough miles on them and you will think twice about them.
Feathering is generally a issue with worn shocks/struts, lack of rotation, wrong tire pressue or in most cases alignment.

Tires normally wear the direction they are pointed and not just on one side.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 AM

I've had 3 sets of these tires and never wore out a set, only wore out the cars. They are great! Work well in snow, rain, and dry roads. Never noticed the noise. On my Cadillac STS they saw many runs in excess of 120 mph.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:41 AM

Just this past Monday (January 10) we recieved 8" of snow in the Spartanburg /Greenville area of upstate S.C. My Michellin Hydro edge tires have about 6K on them and they are awesome! I went where ever I wanted to,at up to 30 mph! Monday we had snow. Tuesday the snow was covered with around a half inch of solid ice. No problems whatsoever. I honked at the 4wd pickups in the ditches on my way in this AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:04 PM

It's been a while since I've reported on my long-term test of Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds on my 2007...

At this point, with two years and 37,465 miles on them, with rotation about every 10,000-mi or so, still, the most pleasing feature of the Assurance "TT" is the tread life. I estimate there is 1/3-1/2 of the tread left. Others who've posted here talk of running them 70,000+ miles. Considering the way out truck is driven, I think we could likely go to 60,000 and I'd be very happy with that. Further, I think if only my Wife drove the truck and it never saw some of the aggressive driving I've done during some road testing of performance accessories and calibration changes, we'd probably see that 70K figure, too.

The tires have performed well in the dry and exceptionally well whenever it's rained. Also, I've been pleased with their level of tread noise during this two year test period.

Another thing I like is the rubber formulation Goodyear uses. It's prevented any of the sidewalls turning brownish-black which I experienced with the OE Firestones.

The only negative I can cite and it's comparatively minor in our case, is once the tires began to wear near the 1/2 tread depth level, I noticed that the shoulder of the tread seems to wear at a somewhat higher rate. The appearance of that is is the front end was out of alignment but I see it both front and rear and I know the alignment is spot-on.

In fact, Goodyear replaced the original Assurance Triple Tred in November of 2011 with a new Assurance Triple Tred All-Season which is said to have a change in tread pattern such that the shoulder wear problem is eliminated. Additionally, the TT All-Season has a slightly different tread groove design which is said to further improved the tire's already good performance on wet or icy roads.

For now, I'm going to continue to run my test of the "first design" Triple Tred but I'm considering going to the TT All-Season and starting a new long-term test.

I'd like to address "TigersHHR's" post and "hyperv6's" reply listed above...

As "hyperv6" says, feathering is often indicative of a front suspension problem (bad shocks or poor alignment) not a tire issue, and he's right.

My belief, based on our experience with the first tire test we did back in 08-10 with the Eagle F1 All-Season, is that GM's factory in Mexico, where HHRs were built, had poor quality in some areas, one being front end alignment. Our truck had the front end out of alignment from day one until the accelerated tread wear of the F1 ASes had me checking it and finding it way off. I'd say if "TigersHHR's" truck had never been checked for alignment, the high wear rates might have been alignment rather than a tire problem. I'm surprised that the tire shop discussed in that post did not, first, check alignment before declaring the problem a tire issue.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 02-10-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by skyeglen

I'll add, in reply to this old post, that my belief is that GM does not recommend "cross rotation" with HHRs.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM

It's been a while since I've reported on my long-term test of Goodyear Assurance Triple Treds on my 2007...

At this point, with two years and 37465 miles on them, with rotation about every 10,000-mi or so, still, the most pleasing feature of the Assurance "TT" is the tread life. I estimate there is 1/3-1/2 of the tread left. Others who've posted here talk of running them 70,000+ miles. Considering the way out truck is driven, I think we could likely go to 60,000 and I'd be very happy with that. Further, I think if only my Wife drove the truck and it never saw some of the aggressive driving I've done during some road testing of performance accessories and calibration changes, we'd probably see that 70K figure, too.

The tires have performed well in the dry and exceptionally well whenever it's rained. Also, I've been pleased with their level of tread noise during this two year test period.

Another thing I like is the rubber formulation Goodyear uses. It's prevented any of the sidewalls turning brownish-black which I experienced with the OE Firestones.

The only negative I can cite and it's comparatively minor in our case, is once the tires began to wear near the 1/2 tread depth level, I noticed that the shoulder of the tread seems to wear at a somewhat higher rate. The appearance of that is is the front end was out of alignment but I see it both front and rear and I know the alignment is spot-on.

In fact, Goodyear replaced the original Assurance Triple Tred in November of 2011 with a new Assurance Triple Tred All-Season which is said to have a change in tread pattern such that the shoulder wear problem is eliminated. Additionally, the TT All-Season has a slightly different tread groove design which is said to further improved the tire's already good performance on wet or icy roads.

For now, I'm going to continue to run my test of the "first design" Triple Tred but I'm considering going to the TT All-Season and starting a new long-term test.

I'd like to address "TigersHHR's" post and "hyperv6's" reply listed above...

As "hyperv6" says, feathering is often indicative of a front suspension problem (bad shocks or poor alignment) not a tire issue, and he's right.

My belief, based on our experience with the first tire test we did back in 08-10 with the Eagle F1 All-Season, is that GM's factory in Mexico, where HHRs were built, had poor quality in some areas, one being front end alignment. Our truck had the front end out of alignment from day one until the accelerated tread wear of the F1 ASes had me checking it and finding it way off. I'd say if "TigersHHR's" truck had never been checked for alignment, the high wear rates might have been alignment rather than a tire problem. I'm surprised that the tire shop discussed in that post did not, first, check alignment before declaring the problem a tire issue.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:45 PM

I have noted the tread change last fall at the Goodyear roll out.

I think they are addressing any of the issues they did have and made a very good tire even better.

Today I believe this is one of the best tires on the market. The only negitive is the price has gone up a lot since the first intro. But as with most things you get what you pay for and with this tire you may pay more but you get twice the tread wear and much better performance.

Quick Reply: Now I'm testing the Assurance TripleTred