Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Now I'm testing the Assurance TripleTred

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I have noted the tread change last fall at the Goodyear roll out.

I think they are addressing any of the issues they did have and made a very good tire even better.

Today I believe this is one of the best tires on the market. The only negitive is the price has gone up a lot since the first intro. But as with most things you get what you pay for and with this tire you may pay more but you get twice the tread wear and much better performance.
Well...there's no denying that Goodyear is at the high-end of the price range in some markets but, on the other hand, GY also sells some "high-end" products. I would term the Assurance Triple Tred All-Season as a high-end tire for broad market applications.

I'll also say, in Gooeyear's defense, that many tire makers have raised prices because of higher material costs worldwide.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
Well...there's no denying that Goodyear is at the high-end of the price range in some markets but, on the other hand, GY also sells some "high-end" products. I would term the Assurance Triple Tred All-Season as a high-end tire for broad market applications.

I'll also say, in Gooeyear's defense, that many tire makers have raised prices because of higher material costs worldwide.
The truth is Goodyear has started to abandon many of the low end products as they are not as profitable nor did they do much for their reputation as they were poor quality tires. They have taken on doing better lines and as of now are reaping better profits. This is also why you see less of their tires in the OE market. These are often bad tires with little or no profit.

Also you are correct on material cost. tires use a lot of oil and when oil goes up so do tire prices.

One way to get a Goodyear like tire at a better price go to a Kelly Springfield or Dunlop tire. These are owned and made by Goodyear in the same plants by the same people who make the Goodyears.

Growing up in Akron you learn a little about all the tire companies. I have had several generations in my family at Goodyear and in the past I did work for all the tire companies here. The engineer would let us in on many of the things that never get to the public.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 PM

I put a set of the Michelin Hydroedge tires on my 2007 HHR about 10,000 miles ago. Since we tow the HHR behind our motorhome, and last summer probably about 3500 to 4000 miles, which does not show on the clock, exact mileage on the tires is estimated. So far I'm pleased with the Hydroedges. They perform unbelievably on wet roads, the HHR was quite squirrely on the wet with the OEM Firestones, but not with the Hydroedges. I aligned the front end immediately after having the tires put on, and at this point any wear is unmeasurable. Michelin claims these to be a 90,000 mile tire for tread wear. Time will tell, but so far they are impressive. I anticipated some tire noise, since some years ago I put a set of these on my wife's car, and did notice increased tire noise. Apparently Michelin has changed something in the tire design to eliminate that noise, as they are as quiet, or quieter then the original OEM's plus they perform better. Haven't tried the Good Years but I'm sold on these, at least so far.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
I put a set of the Michelin Hydroedge tires on my 2007 HHR about 10,000 miles ago. Since we tow the HHR behind our motorhome, and last summer probably about 3500 to 4000 miles, which does not show on the clock, exact mileage on the tires is estimated. So far I'm pleased with the Hydroedges. They perform unbelievably on wet roads, the HHR was quite squirrely on the wet with the OEM Firestones, but not with the Hydroedges. I aligned the front end immediately after having the tires put on, and at this point any wear is unmeasurable. Michelin claims these to be a 90,000 mile tire for tread wear. Time will tell, but so far they are impressive. I anticipated some tire noise, since some years ago I put a set of these on my wife's car, and did notice increased tire noise. Apparently Michelin has changed something in the tire design to eliminate that noise, as they are as quiet, or quieter then the original OEM's plus they perform better. Haven't tried the Good Years but I'm sold on these, at least so far.
There are a few tricks to tread design that will help quiet a tire. One common one is the solid rib in the center. Others over lap blocks of tread.

Tread is often done not just to look cool but the little tricks to control noise and traction. Tires are often a comprimise of several issues to make them work. This is where goodyear has made some great gains in new componding. longer wear with better traction has really improved todays tires.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Another "trick" Goodyear developed several years ago to reduce tread noise is to vary the distance between cross-tread grooves.

Before GY developed this, all tires had equidistant cross-tread grooves. The portion of tread noise generated by the grooves peaked in a narrow band of frequencies and the peak was high (ie: the sound was loud).

By varying the distances between grooves, the noise generated had a wider band of frequency but a lower amplitude (ie: the noise wasn't as loud). As loudness is what we perceive as most objectionable, we think the tire as quieter.

Today many tire makers use this "trick".
Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 PM

What ever 'trick' Michelin used on the Hydro Edge, works. The new ones on the HHR are far quieter then the Hydro Edges put on my wife's car some years ago. Will have to look at the two of them side by side, to see if I can find anything visually different.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Compounding, Over lap of the tread and siping are the tricks.

Michelin for the most just copied the Hydroedge after the Assurance Triple. They use a tread pattern very close to the one Goodyear had first. That is a compliment to a tire company when they get copied. Though General went too far and GM sued them and won for sealing their design.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM

I have had my TripleTreds for about 3 years now and love them. It all began when I had a hard time getting up a very small hill with my factory tires-the car was sliding all over the place. After a few attempted stops on snowy road with way too much skidding, I went to my friends tire store and they recommended the TT's. Since then, no problems at all on snow or wet roads. And they have very nice grip on dry, with out any noticeable road noise. All in all, I am happy with mine. They are pricey, though.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Not sure where you are in NY but if you get the snow off the lakes you should know these are true all season tires. I never have felt any need for winter tires even when I pushed snow with my front bumper up the street to get to my house.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:38 AM

I am in NY City, so our snow usually is not that bad. But last winter we had some major inches and I had no problem. I damaged one tire, but had to replace both since there is a new designed triple tred. Now as it wears, new tred opens up so you have better traction through out the life of the tire. They were close to 200 each, but safety is paramount. I love those tires.

Quick Reply: Now I'm testing the Assurance TripleTred