Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Patching a tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:45 AM

Patching a tire?

Picked up this awesome pair of pliers last night.

Unfortunately I picked them up off the road, using my rear tire. Heard a bang, then a grinding dragging noise. At first I thought my exhaust had dropped. When I checked it out, found those old pliers stuck through the plastic on my inner fender. They had gotten jammed and opened a nice gash in my tire, about 3/4" long.

Im thinking a gash like this wouldnt be fixable using multiple plugs, so I may try patching it from inside the tire. Anyone have an opinion on patching? I guess my main worry is the tire blowing out on the highway under stress.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 AM
geg

good news is that this iron is not torn the lateral surface of the tire.
What I see - it is easy to treat.
In the tire-repair shops use a special "patch". These patches are simple and reinforced. Reinforced patch - enough for your problem. Your tire will retain the necessary quality.
Reinforced patch + hot-vulcanization = excellent tool even for the lateral surface of the tire.
The Toronto certainly do it on every corner.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/...Repair/Toronto

Sorry for your wing.
The wing is more painful.
If the deformation of iron - my condolences.
If only the plastic of inner wing - treat, too. Removing it, wash, drain and seal any materials at hand. Good fit piece of plastic bottles (Coca-Cola Viva!). Cut out the appropriate size of the piece and use it as a patch. Stick on the inner side by a good waterproof glue. Additionally, you can fix by aluminum rivets (any hardware store). If the metal wing scratched from within - clean the scratch with sandpaper, sprinkled repair primer, then paint (when dry repair primer) in 2 - 3 layers. This will prevent corrosion of the metal in place of the scratch. You can not worry about the color of paint and quality paint coating - because the damage is in the nutria, can not see them. Spray of repair primer and spray paint is easy to buy.

Last edited by geg; 05-18-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 AM

So the tire did not go flat? If not, that is good. But how deep is the gash? If it reached cords, I'd suggest replacing it. Gash that size will weaken the tire.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Deceased

Yeah, that tire is a goner. Even if the gash did not penetrate through the carcass, eventually the exposed cords will deteriorate and the tire will fail. For safety's sake it should be replaced since its not a matter of if it will fail, its a matter of when.

Unfortunately you have joined the "ran over a hand tool club", I once picked up a fairly new Craftsman screwdriver in a tire, it was dark and I didn't see it....but I sure wrecked a tire.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:57 AM

I agree. I would replace the tire if it were mine.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Founding Member

Yep, tire needs replacing.

We use the best of both worlds for punctures.

Name:  BJK-CU-310-8.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  32.7 KB
Old 05-18-2011, 11:06 AM

Thanks everyone. The fender damage is only the plastic liner, so I will see about sealing up the small hole.
For the tire, I may take it off the rim and inspect the inside to see how badly the belts are torn.
And it leaks alright, loud hissing from escaping air. The soapy water test was fun, spit water all over my face. However, since its a tear instead of a hole, it seals itself enough to hold enough air to travel about 15 minutes after being fully inflated. After it happened, I was able to make it to a service station and pump it up, then made it home and put on one of my snow tires for now.
If this isnt fixable, its just the excuse I need to get a new set of summer performance tires, although I was hoping to put that off for one more season for monetary reasons.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Yep, it's toast, time for a new set of shoes. You might be able to find a used tire to hold you over till you find a set you like.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 AM

When I owned my station we used a reinforced patch called a "boot" on truck tires for bigger problems like yours. However, I wouldn't recommend it on modern steel radials. Had the cut not gone through to the cord (it has to have, else it wouldn't be leaking) you might get away with a reinforced patch. Sounds like it's time for tires. Oh, and check your comprehensive insurance - some will pay for this since it is caused by a foreign object (less the deductible, of course).
Old 05-18-2011, 10:38 PM
geg

Guys.
You are all spendthrifts. But it's your internal American affair.

Quick Reply: Patching a tire?