Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Tire time

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Tire time

This spring it will be time for some maintenance, new rotors/pads, coolant flush and a set of tires. I've got two about to the wear bars and will probably have another 5k on them by late spring. I did a little looking on Discount Tires website, they have local stores so that makes them easy to use. Size I'm going to go with is 225/45R18 this time (from the 225/40 I have now). I wan't decent tread lift, quiet, and good traction in wet and dry conditions. My current Nexan A5000's are ok on dry, but very easy to break traction in the wet, the recent ice storm we had, really made them suck....

Open to suggestions..... I've got time.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:51 AM

I put continental extreme contact DWS's on mine a couple weeks ago. So far I really like them, and will be putting around 1k on them in a week or 2, so i'll have better review.

if you feel like you won't be needing the S part (which stands for snow) then they have just a DW (dry wet) as well.

with discount tire, i was able to price match them to treadepot.com, which a $25 discount on treadepot, and then if you sign up for their e-mail whatevers for discount tire, they will send you a $25 coupon in your e-mail in a day or 2. So i used that too, in the end discounts full price was at $686 and i was out the door for 500. there is an additional rebate i am going to try too.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by twistrman
I put continental extreme contact DWS's on mine a couple weeks ago. So far I really like them, and will be putting around 1k on them in a week or 2, so i'll have better review.

if you feel like you won't be needing the S part (which stands for snow) then they have just a DW (dry wet) as well.

with discount tire, i was able to price match them to treadepot.com, which a $25 discount on treadepot, and then if you sign up for their e-mail whatevers for discount tire, they will send you a $25 coupon in your e-mail in a day or 2. So i used that too, in the end discounts full price was at $686 and i was out the door for 500. there is an additional rebate i am going to try too.

Those were the tires I was really looking at last night. That tread pattern is very unique. Didn't know about the DW's, but did like the looks of the DWS's...

Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 PM

very unique tread. I can take a shot od them on the hhr. The car is just beyond dirty.

Weird occurrence with the tread though, the guy who has the car port next to me always chats with me, he has a mazda rx8 (flagged me down one day and ran after me because i have painted calipers and he wanted more details). So i asked him how it was doing in the snow, and he was like oh man had to get new tires, the others were like slicks. I just had to look down, bam same exact tire. Really easy to distinguish.

But yeah, so far they are doing good, there are spots i know the firestones would have had trouble with. TC light has only came on a few times (as opposed to all the time) and usually because i was trying to make it come on, to see if it would grip.

as i said in another thread, i can't tell if my alignment is off now, but i'll figure that out soon.