Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Used tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM

Used tires

So it's looking less and less likely that I'll have the $700-ish for 4 new tires in next couple of months, and 3/4 of my tires have about 4k left in them and 1 is hit right now.

In looking around, it looks like a fairly reputable tire place in Flint that has been around for decades does used tires for seriously cheap prices...just not necessarily in the exact OEM size. Right now they have some 245/40 and 235/50. I'm going today to check them out. Both supposedly have about 60-70% tread left. The 235s I know are G-force T/A, which are over $200+shipping/ea on tire rack, and these guys will sell, installed, tax, out the door, for $190/set of 4... Yeah they'd ride about a half inch higher, but those are some damn nice tires where we are coming up on summer.

I'm curious if anyone has dealt with used tires before and what their experience has been. Obviously I'd prefer new...but at $200/set I could get used tires every 6 months and be no worse than buying new every 2 years. Obviously I get no warranty really or road hazard, so I'll have to talk to them re: what happens if 10 miles down the road there's a vibration or something. I also am packing my calipers today when I go look at them...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Deceased

The issue I personally have with used tires is that you might be buying someone else's problem, they did take them off for a reason.

You also have to make 100% sure that the tires have been inspected inside and out for poor repairs, damage, and odd wear patterns.

I would try to get as close to the proper size for your HHR, you can play around with widths and aspect ratios, but keeping close to the proper OD will keep your vehicle happier. Also remember that 26" is the magic number on overall diameter, once you go over that, you'll be either hitting the lower spring perches on the struts...or mighty dang close to it.

Check out this rim/tire size calculator that a bunch of us use here, you can input your current size and the sizes you're considering and it will give you the approximate overall diameter/speedometer error/etc. Just click the link.....

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Have been reading through the "tire size" thread and found that link. Looks like the 235/50 would be way too tall. The 245/40 looks like they will be good, assuming the edge doesn't rub when at full lock or something.

I'm a little nervous about the other people's problem point, which is my biggest concern. I am hoping the tire place gives some sort of 100 mile return situation or something, or I may not deal with them. If they are not right it should be pretty quick and easy to tell when you drive away. As far as bad patches or something, that's at least (generally) pretty easy to spot, and I intend to give them a good eyeballing before I buy. The shop seems pretty open about the tires, unless they are outright lying; they even call out that the tires look to have been rotated and evenly worn...so either they lie or someone gave them a once-over.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Deceased

Well you've done your research and you're going into it with your eyes wide open, so you're better prepared than 99.9% of their potential customers.

I'd make sure to ask every question you can think of before forking over the dough.

Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Used tire joint about 2 miles from me. My sister bought a set and they were great. It'll get you thru in a pinch, but seeing if they have any kind of warranty is probably the only thing you can do.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:53 PM

be sure to check the DOT manufactured date: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

I would be hesitant to buy a tires over 5 years old
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Very helpful, budster. Thanks for that info. Would have missed that part.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Most used tire places get them from junk yards taken off cars in accidents. They can be a good buy just inspect carefully and try to get the newest tires you can.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM

You've already gotten what I was going to say (check the Mfg date code and really check over the tires). I am a "recovering autocrosser", so I used to have multiple sets of tires around. I bought and sold used tires a few times in the past 5 years, and never had issues. They do last a shorter period of time than new, and I would try and get pairs if you can't get a set of 4 that works. Oddball tires are NOT for sustained use. You can get some funky vibrations and noises from them.

Also, the place you described sounds more legit than me shopping on CL in Oakland County, too. Haha. Just be cautious, and it'll probably turn out fine.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Well, the 235/50 was way too tall, and the 245/40 potenza re040 ($200 out the door for the set, 75%-ish life left) they had would have most likely rubbed ever so slightly.

They seemed like decent people...30 day warranty, didn't get pissy as I took my caliper to at least 4 points on every tire. Looked like the the two sets I looked at were in good condition.

Going to give them a call once a week or so to see what they have, I think. First impression was pretty good.

Quick Reply: Used tires