Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Whats your Winter Wheel Set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM

Stock SS setup , Pilots . Ya it's a bit tricky in a snow storm, with a 5 speed and these tires But i havent got stuck yet. CAN'T WAIT TILL SPRING !!!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=hyperv6;347383]Summer is fine as wet traction is excellent. QUOTE]

Thanks

To look at them you would think that they would give little traction in the snow.The guy I got them from used them only in the summer because he had them on the factory cHrome rims they do look good for the rain though.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
Yea, I'm not sure if i want to have a Winter Setup and a Summer Setup. The HHR is only 8 Months old with 5200 Mile's on it. I feel like if i Changed them to a better all Season Tire i would be wasting money. Not sure which way i am going to go yet.
You don't have to go Goodyear but you will find most good All Season set ups are more than good enough to handle most weather conditions in most areas.

Like I stated I had 10 inches of snow here and these tires ran just fine. Combined with the FWD and elctronics in the HHR I let the vehicle do most the work and it runs along in the snow or ice just fine.

A winter tire set up will give you a little more traction a lot less miles. They also wil add the cost of a second set of tires if your not wanting to pay the extra money.

The only reason I have a set of steel wheels is to protect my 18" wheels form road damage and salt in the winter.

IF you want to save some money look at the Dunlop tires they are for the most the same tire as the Goodyears with a little changed in the tread pattern. Goodyear ownes Dunlop and you can get the same quality for a little less price.

Read the reviews on any tire on THe Tire Rack web site. Toss out the top reviews and the bottom reviews and you will get osm idea of what the tire will do.

Keep in mind on some of the reviews people have no clue about the product so that is why the mid reviews are a little more reliable.

Also check their prices as your going to have a hard time finding locally for less. Even here in Akron the tire capital many of us send away for them as they have the best price.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:29 PM

I am running stock 16" steelies and Goodyear Ultragrip snows on all four. I purchased 4wheels, 4 tpms sensors, 4 hubcaps and 20 lugnuts for $235 delivered to my door. If i picked them up it would of only been $135. That was a great deal !!!! So now i have four extra wheels and i dont have to go anywhere to put them on as i have a floorjack and a compressor. Oh i got the tires for $52 each on ebay........Tirerack sells them for about $140.