Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Wheel Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 08:23 AM

Wheel Warning!

I know I have brought this up before, but a bit more info (Mods may want to sticky this)

I know most of us want bigger wheels, but it comes at a cost. I was back at the dealer ordering my wheels last night, and I was going to go with an 18 in the rear, and a different offset. Even though it shouldnt matter since it is the rear and the car is FWD, even if you change the sizing in the back, it will affect your warranty!

Specifically if you have ANY tranny issues, the FIRST thing chevy asks the dealer when they place a warranty request is to read off the wheel/tire size. Even if the over all diameter doesnt change (ie bigger wheel, smaller tire) it doesnt matter.

Now the guy did tell me its about a 50/50 chance of having a warranty claim denied, that it depends on the person they talk to at chevy, and the mood that person is in that day.

You would think going to a dealer that deals more with performance, and sport "looks" would help, but apparently they have to call GM direct to get warranty stuff done.

He said they have seen this time and time again on the Impala and the Monte Carlo, and GM just flat wont do the warranty work for free.

Moral of the story is keep your old wheels and tires, and put them back on before you go to the dealer for ANY work, and do it EVERY time.

Just an FYI, you may have better luck, but its better safe than sorry when it comes to a big item like the tranny!
Old 02-24-2006, 08:24 AM

good info to know..
Old 02-26-2006, 05:36 PM

I agree

Originally Posted by TXLeXTC

Moral of the story is keep your old wheels and tires, and put them back on before you go to the dealer for ANY work, and do it EVERY time.

Just an FYI, you may have better luck, but its better safe than sorry when it comes to a big item like the tranny!
I agree because I have lived this nightmare in 2001.
GM voided my warranty when I was towed in for a pass key problem.
(I could not take the custom tune out before it got there).

I fought this for 6 months along with backing from SEMA in Washington and the manufacturers of the aftermarket parts (who all put in writing that GM can't do that).Along with the backing that unless proven that the aftermarket parts contributed to the failure of the covered part,the parts can not void warranty.

The final answer...
GM has to right to void warranty if the vehicle IS NOT as it came from the factory as it was designed. End of story and my warranty at that time!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:54 PM

that's why you take your car in to the shop with the stock wheels on
Old 03-25-2006, 09:30 AM

Red face

I guess I'm lucky then.
I had to take my HHR in because my check engine light came on and my temp guage wasn't working. They had to reprogram the PCM.

It has 18's and is lowered...had no problems with warranty coverage.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 PM

JT if you would have had a suspension or wheel related or even brake problem's, they will most likely tell you that you are s**t out of luck.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:22 PM

If you buy that bs they are spouting at you, then you deserve to be had. Under federal law, the dealer has to PROVE that the wheel tire combination was the cause of the defect. If they cannot, then thay CAN NOT deny your warranty. I took my 02 escalade in with 22's on it, and my dealer never voided my warranty, and they fixed both the transfer case and front differential.

Now, if there is evidence that the wheel/tire combination caused the issue, then your out of luck. That said, they cannot void your entire warranty for wheels/tires, as that has no effect on electronics or rusting.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:59 PM

That's bull sh*t, I'm a service consultant at the local GM dealership, we have never hammered any one for that. You need to take your car somewhere else, and if you ever have a trans prob, swap back to stock
Old 07-10-2006, 09:42 PM

This brings me to another question. What about lowering the HHR? And I don't mean slamming it! When I get mine that's 1 of the first things I know I'll want to do. I would understand if the dealer didn't want to relpace a leaking (shock/strut) but would they still want to void the vehicles intire warranty? I'd like to change the wheel style but w/ stock specs on the wheel & tire.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Copperhead
...I but would they still want to void the vehicles intire warranty? I'd like to change the wheel style but w/ stock specs on the wheel & tire.
Check this thread: Warranty & Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Wheel Warning!