Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Wheel Warning!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by cshaberts
That's bull sh*t, I'm a service consultant at the local GM dealership, we have never hammered any one for that. You need to take your car somewhere else, and if you ever have a trans prob, swap back to stock
this is true, its total BS... i talked to the manager at my local dealer(very good family friend) and he told me that putting any rims on it will not void warranty. NOw what Phantom said about wheels/tires having no effect on electronics, it CAN affect your tranny/computer/electronics, because when you put on larger wheels on this HHR im more than positive you will have to recalibrate the tranny and computer to compensate, which in time will mess up, or at the very least might get you a ticket

Originally Posted by Copperhead
This brings me to another question. What about lowering the HHR? And I don't mean slamming it! When I get mine that's 1 of the first things I know I'll want to do. I would understand if the dealer didn't want to relpace a leaking (shock/strut) but would they still want to void the vehicles intire warranty? I'd like to change the wheel style but w/ stock specs on the wheel & tire.
now he did tell me this, if you EVER mess with the suspension, and something Fs UP, then its YOUR fault and it will void warranty.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:09 PM

I've had some friends go through this same thing with their Dodge trucks that have had rear end problems. They put 22's on their trucks, same weight or lighter, same overall diameter, but some dealerships blame the rear end problem on the 22's. It's not an easy battle to fight either. It just depends on the mood of the service writer that day.

Having said that..... The dealership where I bought my HHR had 3 HHR's with aftermarket 18's on them and just added the price to the MSRP. That's the kind of dealership you need to find. One that slightly mods brand new cars prior to selling them. Like King of Cars out in Vegas.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
I've had some friends go through this same thing with their Dodge trucks that have had rear end problems. They put 22's on their trucks, same weight or lighter, same overall diameter, but some dealerships blame the rear end problem on the 22's. It's not an easy battle to fight either. It just depends on the mood of the service writer that day.

Having said that..... The dealership where I bought my HHR had 3 HHR's with aftermarket 18's on them and just added the price to the MSRP. That's the kind of dealership you need to find. One that slightly mods brand new cars prior to selling them. Like King of Cars out in Vegas.
I might be be off thread, but I've owned the hhr with 2.4 auto, and now 2.4 with 5spd. I love the 2.4 w/5spd......
Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
Thanks! Good info for future reference.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by TXLeXTC
I know I have brought this up before, but a bit more info (Mods may want to sticky this)

I know most of us want bigger wheels, but it comes at a cost. I was back at the dealer ordering my wheels last night, and I was going to go with an 18 in the rear, and a different offset. Even though it shouldnt matter since it is the rear and the car is FWD, even if you change the sizing in the back, it will affect your warranty!

Specifically if you have ANY tranny issues, the FIRST thing chevy asks the dealer when they place a warranty request is to read off the wheel/tire size. Even if the over all diameter doesnt change (ie bigger wheel, smaller tire) it doesnt matter.

Now the guy did tell me its about a 50/50 chance of having a warranty claim denied, that it depends on the person they talk to at chevy, and the mood that person is in that day.

You would think going to a dealer that deals more with performance, and sport "looks" would help, but apparently they have to call GM direct to get warranty stuff done.

He said they have seen this time and time again on the Impala and the Monte Carlo, and GM just flat wont do the warranty work for free.

Moral of the story is keep your old wheels and tires, and put them back on before you go to the dealer for ANY work, and do it EVERY time.

Just an FYI, you may have better luck, but its better safe than sorry when it comes to a big item like the tranny!

I work at a chevy dealership, and when i read this i kinda get pissed. You'll bring your car in, and we might not be able to fix the problem or you go home and put your wheels back on or whatever part it may be, and then when your car breaks you blame it on gm's making ****ty cars, ****ty parts and ****ty quality. Just know that its not also the auto maker who is it fault for some of the cars problems...we have this happen all the time.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Well I'm curious on this issue; and though I know its quite a few months old... the fact that it is Stickied; to me.. means it still applies.

I have a faulty Stereo unit in my HHR; and my Chevy Dealer has agreed to replace it, under Warranty. They already have it "on order" for me; and they told me to expect to hear from them within 1 week to 10 days, for them to call and set up an appointment to install it.

Well; sometime before then, I am expecting to recieve my new wheels. They're 17" RIAX Fontana's; and a set of Falken tires to go with them. If they arrive sometime during this week, I was going to try to get someone to mount the tires onto the new RIAX Rims this weekend; and then put them on my car myself. I'de be taking my existing factory wheels and sticking them on my porch for now.

But; after skimming through this thread, I got to wondering...

Would putting those wheels on my car truly effect whether or not my Chevy Dealer backs out of their promise to change my factory stereo under Warranty?

Should I just put the RIAX's on my porch for now; once I get them... and not try to get them put on my car until after the warranty replacement on the stereo is done?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 PM

Hmm... Well maybe never mind.

I missed it a moment ago but just saw the link above to:

Warranty & Magnuson Moss Warranty Act

Sounds like it might be a worthy printout that'll make good ammunition to use against them if they try to bull**** me... cause, after all. How could aftermarket wheels effect the stereo's preformance?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:46 AM

just to bring some proof to this we had a clk come in with a shifting issue. it had biger rims and tires. the non oem warrany declined the clam because the overall size of the tire rim combo was 4mm smaller.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Guys I have run the Customer Relations departments for two vehicle mfgs. Read Magnuson-Moss. Unless the problem is related to the modification the warranty can't be voided and then only for that which is effected. Wheels and radio have no common connection unless the tire fell off and hit the radio.

Tire/wheel size changes WILL effect anything that is speed effected such as ABS, PCM, trans, bearings (wheel/axle).

Oil coated air filter contaminates sensors in the intake..... You pay and yes this happens and it's part of the emissions warranty too!.. But cancel the warranty on the windshield wiper motor or anything else unrelated, that's against federal law.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:22 PM

I think all this goes to show that it really helps to establish a long relationship with a dealership that will go to bat for their customers. I have been buying from the same dealership since 1968 and on the two occasions where I was out of warranty and Chevy denied coverage, they got it covered in full. They also have mechanics that use intelligent common sense in determining whether mods (lift kits, wheels, etc) really bear a relationship to the failure or not. It amazes me the attitude that some "mechanics" apparently have based on the posts here. Major chip on their shoulder or something. Rule#1 never forget who is overhead (the employee) and who is potential future profit (your customer). Regarding dealership loyalty, if you go 100 miles away to save $200 on your purchase, you should not expect your local dealer to go out of their way to help you.

Quick Reply: Wheel Warning!