Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Winter Tires & Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 PM

Winter Tires & Wheels

For those of you who have dedicated winter tires, do you use the stock wheels & keep swapping? Or do you have a second set of wheels?

And if you have a second set of wheels, where's a good place to get "reasonably priced" wheels?

Thanks for helpin' a newbie! You are GREAT!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:33 PM

I just picked mine up today on Craigslist. I drove up to Milwaukee and picked them up. Total cost was $450 for 16" steelies and Blizzacks. The guy was even nice enough to use his floor jack and air wrench to put them on for me.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:56 PM

Get a second set of wheels as changing them off the wheels every years is a waste of money.

Now if you already have a stock steel wheels your best bet is to just get a good set of all season tires. If you have custom or aluminum I would get the second set of wheels just to prevent them from getting salt damage.

While winter tires do have a little better stoping distance the advantage over a good all season is not that great.

With a good set of all season tires and average snow driving skills getting a HHR through a winter is pretty much a no brainer.

In 27 years of driving in the snow belt of Lake Erie I have only used snow tires on my two of my two wheel drive trucks. All my other cars have had nothing but all season tires. To date I have yet not gotten where I was going With little drama.

With FWD, traction control, stability control and anti lock brakes you could nearly drive these things on nearly bald tires.

I am using all seasons and just came off a week of some pretty good daily snows and have yet to really have any issues. I even went into a parking lot to test out the stability control and could hardly slide the HHR in the lot enough to over come the stablilty control.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6

While winter tires do have a little better stoping distance the advantage over a good all season is not that great.

Disagree. Snows make all the difference in the world IME.