Tires & Wheels Tire and Wheel discussions. What Fits, Show Tires, Custom Wheels

Winter tires/wheels - Feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Looks good.

But I heard that with snow, comes snow shoveling, & etc...
I got no use for snow...
Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 PM

so what should i do because I have the brembo option. what wheels can I buy that will fit. I am looking at 17 inch aluminum but trying to find something cheaper. help please. motordoc 216-554-1852 a call helps quick
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Update: Last weekend I drove about 600 miles on the Blizzaks and I have to say that on dry roads the Michelin's rule and the Blizzaks drool! I had the ESC activate twice. The 1st time, I was in 2nd gear at about 20 MPH coming to a light to make a left and the light turned yellow. I floored it to make the light and both tires must have been spinning as the ESC light came on and when I looked into the mirror there where 2 black lines behind me. In the same situation with the stock tires that probably wouldn't have happened.
The 2nd time was on a 2 lane hwy I was behind a car doing 50MPH in a 55MPH for a little too long. When I hit a long straight away, I dropped into 3rd and nailed it as I usually do. As soon as the turbo spooled up, the tires started to spin and the car started to go sideways!! The ESC took over and I was able to get her back under control.
I have never been a big fan of ESC, but I can tell you that I could have easily over corrected and lost control without it. I am now a believer.
As far as the Blizzaks go, so far I am not impressed with dry performance compaired to the Michlins, but I am sure my tune will change when we get some snow.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey

I floored it to make the light and both tires must have been spinning and when I looked into the mirror there where 2 black lines behind me.

When I hit a long straight away, I dropped into 3rd and nailed it as I usually do. As soon as the turbo spooled up, the tires started to spin and the car started to go sideways!
So you said there was a problem .....
Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by DLVRNIT
So you said there was a problem .....
OK, not so much a "problem" with the car, but a definite difference in traction on dry pavement. Let's say that the spinning will eat up the expensive tires much more quickly and that's a problem.
With the stock Michlins, you really had to hang on to the wheel as the torque steer was intense, with the blizzaks, there is much less torque steer as the tires give up traction...
As I said before, I am sure the Blizzaks snow traction will be much better than the Michlins. At least that is what I'm hoping.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by motordoctor
so what should i do because I have the brembo option. what wheels can I buy that will fit. I am looking at 17 inch aluminum but trying to find something cheaper. help please. motordoc 216-554-1852 a call helps quick
Do a search on user "Ioweejun". I have a post from last year when I was trying to find rims for 09 with the "large" Brembo's. Bought package from TireRack with Rial rims and Blizzacks. Not cheap but I love them.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ioweejun
Do a search on user "Ioweejun". I have a post from last year when I was trying to find rims for 09 with the "large" Brembo's. Bought package from TireRack with Rial rims and Blizzacks. Not cheap but I love them.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/09-ss-w-performance-pkg-winter-tires-19258/#post324877
Old 11-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Got the Michelin X Ice winter tires for our grape and I like them alot
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 AM

Question What?

Originally Posted by xiler8d
I hope everyone is not forgetting the need for tire pressure sensors, unless you dont mind driving with the stupid idiot light being on! I found'em on ebay for about $75 a set brand new. Punch in part #25920615 and thats what you'll need. I also went with the 205/60-16 Genteral Altimax Artic and 6.5" wide rims. So far so good. Just got them.
What is the pressure sensor? I think I know what your talking about but want to make sure. We have had problems with wheel hop on rainy pavement also so I'm thinking it is time for new tires anyway. Thanks for some good ideas to look at. We probably will not get new rims as our HHR is just our family car. Also, mines not an SS..........even if I drive it like one.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 AM

I put on General Altimax 205/65/r15 's with steel wheels from tire rack. The 65 is actually closer to stock height (a little taller).

Skipped the wheel sensors and just blocked out the idiot light behind the cluster. A few screws and a couple cuss words saved me the cost of wheel sensors. I can manage to check tire pressure on my own for a few months

Whoops! Just noticed this thread was in the SS forum. 1LT for me. Stumbled upon it via search.

Last edited by pnad; 12-21-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: I dont have an SS :-(

Quick Reply: Winter tires/wheels - Feedback please