War Stories HHR vs all

A real Derelict on cell phone rear ended RARE HHR!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Founding Member

Unhappy A real Derelict on cell phone rear ended RARE HHR!

North bound 15 at Limonite, stop and go traffic on a Saturday afternoon it happened.

At the moment, I was stopped at a respectful distance behind the car ahead of me (I always do that, good habit). I looped up into my read view mirror and saw it coming and announced to Mr. "B" (Ed) that we are going to get hit. I took that deep breath the moment before and hoped he would stop in time but he dident. Derelict in a truck locked up his brakes and rear ended RARE HHR! We all pulled to the side and did the injury check. No one hurt at all. Derelicts words after asking if we were alright was that it was 100% his fault. He said was on his cell phone!

The impact was not too severe but enough to put paint scraps on my bumper and poke a hole in the bumper plastic.

We did the transfer of information and all that. Waited for the Highway Patrol but at the moment, I opted out for the report (I should have gotten one though, so I'm a derelict too ). The kid offered to repair my HHR cash and I said I would have to contact my insurance company to see what they had to say before I made a decision.

OK, so, here is my question for the group....

Let a shop replace the bumper?
Have an after market rear end put on if cashing out the claim?
Do I make the kid pay my deductible or file in small claims court for that money if I end up paying that?

I am not for doing a patch job. That is not an acceptable solution to me.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 PM

That sucks Sindy . Glad to hear you are okay though So are you thinking of a PTeazer rear bumper?

Sindy I would have your Dealer check it out. Just cause it looks small what else has been damaged?

That sucks! Stupid freakin idiots on their cell phones. I say let him pay for it all, wether you go for the stock or aftermarket bumper. You being sitting still you were not at fault, he should cover all. I don't know how it works there in california, but I wouldn't want to pay for someones stupidity. If you go with the aftermarket, make sure it fits right before you settle, you don't want to get into more work then needed. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Certainly should let the insurance handle it. There could always be more damage than what is visual. Not to mention most insurance companies offer a warranty on repairs if you use one of their recommended shops. After all that, Sue his a$$ for running into an HHR.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 PM

OMG Sindy...that's awful. If he doesn't want to turn it over to his insurance, I would make him pay whatever the damage is, including your deductible. If the insurance company settles with you, they will go after him for what they paid out, plus your deductible. At least that's what they do in Colorado anyway.

If you're thinking about changing the rear bumper...now would be the time to do it. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

That sucks, Sindy. Sorry to hear about this.

Depending on how the CHP reacts and your State Laws, I would still make a police report. No injuries, just property damage...after the fact report.

If he is a derelict, he's going to weasle out or weasle and complain about the cost of repair. Any way you look at it, it's going to be grief.

Just the bumper cover costs about $400 (about $250 if you know someone) plus labor and any hidden damage.

Last edited by Snoopy; 01-12-2008 at 09:20 PM. Reason: added bumper pricing
Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Founding Member

We both have the same insurance company. He wanted to pay cash after I got estimates because he's turning the magic age when rates are reduced. He was 3 weeks away from that date!
The kind side of me was kind and gentle and said stuff happens and I really wasen't mad, which is true. I'm just bummed but it can be fixed, it's just a car, it's special to me, but it's still just a car.
The other side of me doesn't want to be inconvenienced by all the particulars that go into getting RARE HHR back to the way it was. That should not be my burden.

Snoopy... He was a remorseful young man, he Momma taught him right or he was great at the art of deception!
Old 01-12-2008, 09:20 PM

Holy CR*P! I'm glad to hear you all are alright! But sorry this happened. I've been in an accident like that where I saw him coming and braced for the impact--I broke the seat in my GEO Metro from the impact. Didn't feel the sore back for a few days, please make sure you are ok.

Nevertheless, it was great meeting you and Ed and the (still) lovely RARE HHR today...
Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 PM

So glad you are both Ok. That really sucks. I would just want it put back the way it was before, as soon as possible. If the kid is talking on a cell and does this he should have to pay more for his insurance.

Quick Reply: A real Derelict on cell phone rear ended RARE HHR!