War Stories HHR vs all

Rental Car Hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:30 AM

The HHR is a premium car at National also, They are sometimes available to the emerald isle renters and more are available to the Executive Tier that I am in.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by AMHobby
Why is everyone so down on the PT Cruiser here? I have driven a few of them and thought they drove fine. Also I doubt our HHR's would have ever been built if it were not for the PT selling the retro look. I do like my HHR better but I still don't think the PT is a bad car, especially the turbo version. It seems obvious that the comparable car, to the rental car company (if a HHR was not offered) would be the PT Cruiser.
A lot of it is good-natured ribbing, I like the PT Cruiser, but it's time is past and how cool is it when every third person has one?

Last year I was actually looking into buying one. I test drove it and was thoroughly underwhelmed. I was going to a second dealership (one that didn't suck nearly as bad!) and accidently ended up on a Chevy lot. Not wanting to look like an ass -- and if you've seen me, you know that's not an easy task -- I looked a bit and told them I was interested in a PT. They showed me the HHR and I was stunned. It looked so much better and drove so much finer. SOLD!
Old 10-07-2006, 12:46 AM

At Budget, it's a Standard rental, but the one I went to, didn't have any PT's... only HHR's and Pontiac G6's in the standard class.

A rental trip is actually what sold us on the HHR.

On the 15th of September (few weeks back), my wife had to be in Dallas for some training for her job. We decided to make a weekend out of it and visit some friends while we were there.

We had the piece of trash Dodge Ram at the time still and knew it'd kill us on gas to get there and back, not to mention being unreliable. So we decided to rent a car.

We rented a metalic Orange (HOOK'EM HORNS!) HHR for the weekend, and left for Dallas Thursday night. We absolutely fell in love with the HHR by the time we hit Hilsboro. Told the wife, "I love this thing. When we're ready for a new car, we should get one of these".

God was listening.

The next weekend... the truck decided to shred its torque converter and destroy its tranny (for the second time in two years).

We again rented an HHR from our local Budget.

After working out a discounted repair bill with Aamco, Dee and decided that $7000 in brakes and trannies in 4 years was way beyond acceptable and a trade in was in order...

Sometimes we just need a swift kick in the pants...

I went to the Chevy dealer on my lunch hour, and we talked numbers... I came back with my wife after work and talked numbers some more... the next day we picked up the truck from Aamco and drove it to the dealer... and left it there. Drove away in our new beauty.

We love our HHR.

Last edited by Ronzo; 10-07-2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:00 AM

Just be thrilled that it wasn't a Chevy Uplander Minivan.. Mind you I am a 20yr old kid. That ruined my look. What sucks the most is I would have had a 08 chevy pickup but they could not find the keys to it...
Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 AM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
With Enterprise, the HHR is a 'full-size car' The PT Cruiser is a 'mid-size', like the Mazda6 we got when ours went in for body work. I specifically requested a Cobalt but got the Mazda6 instead.

Originally Posted by Krejaton
So some ditz in her Land Rover decides to plogh into the back of my HHR claiming that "the lane next to us was moving forward". I can take that. But when I take my beast into the shop, Enterprise comes to pick me up and shuttle me to their shop for a rental. I told them I wanted a comparable car. What do they bring me? A PT Cruiser! They didn't seem to understand my revulsion.

But get this: they told me I was only cleared by the ditz's insurance company for a "standard" rental, so that is what they offered me, a stadard car replacement....but that the HHR is listed as a "premium" car. One call to ditz insurance and I was cleared out out PT hell.

So they brought me a station wagon thing...forgot the name but growing up in nothing but station wagons, I was horrified. I pointed at the F-150 and they said it was even more money, but a bit of schmoozin' and they gave me a free upgrade. Needless to say my kids are getting a kick out of the pick up...maybe too much.

So, for those of you keeping score at home:

PT Cruiser = standard ride.............................................. ..HHR = PREMIUM RIDE

Yeah, I know --------> "Like that's news to us!", but its now confirmed by corporate America!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:10 AM

2 year old thread...... big difference from the 06's to the o8's and 09's now.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=So they brought me a station wagon thing...forgot the name but growing up in nothing but station wagons, I was horrified. I pointed at the F-150 and they said it was even more money, but a bit of schmoozin' and they gave me a free upgrade. Needless to say my kids are getting a kick out of the pick up...maybe too much. QUOTE]

A pick up ?? ... yikkes
Old 07-04-2009, 02:59 PM
ecl

guess that depends where you go regionally. I work at an Avis rent a car and HHRs are a midsize along with the PT, however no one really likes the PTs so we normally go down to a compact rate to get them moving. The other to rental places here(Hertz and Enterprise) also run the HHRs as a midsize. Thats what made me want the HHR over the PT, since I cleaned them on a regular basis the HHR just drove all around better and was bigger and just better looking.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 PM

It's funny, coming from the Mopar side of things I've owned a Neon until June when I got my SS. I loved the PT's when they 1st came out. Seeing that they were based off the Neon platform, they were very familiar to me. After the 3rd year though, the look just waned. The PTGT only received a Stage 1 kit from the factory while the SRT4's got the Stage 1,2, and 3. When I saw the HHR's I really liked them and REALLY wanted one when I saw that the SS came out. Once I had my accident in May (thanks Mr Drunk driver!) I took it as a sign to 'move on' and let my Neon go. I went to the Chevy dealer, pulled my SS from the showroom floor and have been happy ever since.

Later
Allex
Old 09-23-2009, 06:47 PM

How far have we gone in three years? Not very far by the time line of this post

Quick Reply: Rental Car Hell