2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged HHR

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 09:39 PM

I'm fairly certain he sold all of it some time ago. If you look on cobaltss.net or the cobalt ss facebook pages, people are selling kits all the time.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:45 PM

ECM and TCM tune for AT hhr?

Hi, if I'm doing this to a 2.4lt automatic transmission 2007 hhr, would I need to tune the ECM and the TCM? Or could I just tune the ECM? Thanks!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:32 AM

Just the ECM, but you could calibrate the trans to your liking as well. Trans tuning is a bit easier. I have not tuned this trans but I have in my SUVs with 4l60e and it is very straight forward.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 PM

Thanks! As always I appreciate the help. Went with the TCM as well as they did it for free for me. Just a refundable core charge!
Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 PM

Ok! My SC install is almost complete, but I had a couple of questions left. We had to shave down the bumper to fit the heat exchanger, but it doesn't quite fit flush anymore. What did you do for yours? Also, any tips for that short oil dipstick? I see placement is correct but still hard to reach. Finally, when you upgraded to a 3.1 pulley, did you need an intercooler with it on your intake manifold or is it working fine with just the heat exchanger? Pics can be viewed HERE https://goo.gl/photos/nYoe2vxSUJG5Wnew7. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:10 AM

Looking good!

I was able to get the heat exchanger mounted there. I would suggest mounting it slightly higher to help. I did have to cut a lot away from the fascia to get it to fit, but i think eventually it was hitting the inside bottom so I raised it a little. I think I put a spacer on the inside of the bumper and bolted it up a little higher. This will require you pull your bumper off and cut notches on the back so the h/e fits up higher.

With a 3.1 you still use the same cooling method. Best upgrade for that is the dual pass end plate for the intake manifold.

Be sure to check the coolant level in the intake system several times. It took a few drives for all the air to burp out. Otherwise you'll be pumping bubbly water through and its very inefficient that way.

Oil dip stick was in a tough spot for me too. Yours looks harder to get at, but I think its because you are auto. IIRC the engine is tilted slightly forward compared to the manuals.

You can pull that oil fill tube off and put your cap directly on the valve cover.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM
Technical Moderator

Wouldn't a SS fascia work?

Out of curiosity; what is the point of a filter on the PCV port?

How does the Cobalt handle the dipstick? Probably a longer different shaped tube. You might be able to get a new tube & stick for a Cobalt S/C. The tube is a force/interference fit.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Looking good!

I was able to get the heat exchanger mounted there. I would suggest mounting it slightly higher to help. I did have to cut a lot away from the fascia to get it to fit, but i think eventually it was hitting the inside bottom so I raised it a little. I think I put a spacer on the inside of the bumper and bolted it up a little higher. This will require you pull your bumper off and cut notches on the back so the h/e fits up higher.

With a 3.1 you still use the same cooling method. Best upgrade for that is the dual pass end plate for the intake manifold.

Be sure to check the coolant level in the intake system several times. It took a few drives for all the air to burp out. Otherwise you'll be pumping bubbly water through and its very inefficient that way.

Oil dip stick was in a tough spot for me too. Yours looks harder to get at, but I think its because you are auto. IIRC the engine is tilted slightly forward compared to the manuals.

You can pull that oil fill tube off and put your cap directly on the valve cover.
Thanks that's helpful! I'm also having trouble with the ecm. Car won't even crank. Got it reprogrammed from zzp, still the stock unit that came with the car but nothing. What process did you use?
Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 PM

May be some sort of security relearn process you need to follow. I'd get with them about it. I use hptuners and do my own tuning so I don't have experience with that.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 PM

Thanks for hour help so far!

Checked connections and ground today, no use. Got a stock ECM flashed with my VIN so we'll try that to at least eliminate a faulty ECM (of course I won't run it on that though).

Another question is did you need a TB adapter plate to go from 2.4 TB to LSJ TB? I'm only stage 1 supercharger. I think you are stage 2 with LS4 TB, correct?

Quick Reply: Supercharged HHR