2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged HHR

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 AM

"inf"? "CAI"? help me out here my brain is not functioning. Thanks
Old 10-24-2012, 07:45 AM

LNF is the RPO code for the 2.0l TC engine used in the SS models.

The 2.4l is an LE5 or LE9 depending on year and just indicates flex fuel capability.

CAI: Cold air intake.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I thought it was inf not LNF. My motor is an LE5 2.4. CAI makes sense, thanks again.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:22 PM

"OBX Limited slip differential"

Just a question. With the cam, exhaust and supercharger mods on the 2.4 F23 tranny, is the aftermarket LSD needed or is it just more a want for racing?

Is yours this one?

http://www.racingpartdepot.com/servl...Pontiac/Detail

I see nothing about HHR, but I assume Cobalt means it would work?

What is labor hours for the average mechanic? And should this be done with clutch/flywheel install?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:04 PM

I got the LSD because anytime I was turning even the slightest the inside wheel would just spin when I was on it. It happened a lot straight line too which bothered me most. If the pavement was hot it hooked up much better, but the LSD was great. Most people don't do this mod, especially with an inexpensive LSD. The Quaife would be the premium LSD. If you aren't going to track much or ever I wouldn't do it. I didn't get to the track as much as I wanted to.

I would guess 4 hours to put the LSD in if the trans is out.

The HHR uses the F23 transmission(2.2,2.4l)(SS uses F35) so anything advertised as F23 compatible will work. If you do plan on an LSD, yes for sure tackle it with the clutch cause the trans will need to be dropped anyway. There are a few parts that would need to be purchased in addition to the LSD. In order to split the trans you will need to buy a couple seals that are not reusable from GM that were around $75 iirc. Also going to need external torx(forget the size) and 10-12mm Allen wrenchs. Bearing puller/press to swap bearings from the stock open diff to the LSD. Also going to need RTV sealant.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
I got the LSD because anytime I was turning even the slightest the inside wheel would just spin when I was on it. It happened a lot straight line too which bothered me most. If the pavement was hot it hooked up much better, but the LSD was great. Most people don't do this mod, especially with an inexpensive LSD. The Quaife would be the premium LSD. If you aren't going to track much or ever I wouldn't do it. I didn't get to the track as much as I wanted to.

I would guess 4 hours to put the LSD in if the trans is out.

The HHR uses the F23 transmission(2.2,2.4l)(SS uses F35) so anything advertised as F23 compatible will work. If you do plan on an LSD, yes for sure tackle it with the clutch cause the trans will need to be dropped anyway. There are a few parts that would need to be purchased in addition to the LSD. In order to split the trans you will need to buy a couple seals that are not reusable from GM that were around $75 iirc. Also going to need external torx(forget the size) and 10-12mm Allen wrenchs. Bearing puller/press to swap bearings from the stock open diff to the LSD. Also going to need RTV sealant.
Thanks for all the info.

I admit I won't be doing any track driving but that spinning thing worries me a bit. You went with the cheaper LSD did you not? I see the Quaife LSD is about 1k compared to the cheaper 300 one. What is the true difference? Is the cheaper one just more prone to fail or is it all a name thing?

4 hours is nothing. But just to clarify, if I'm having the clutch and flywheel done along with mounts the tranny itself needs to dropped either way? If so then of course I would definitely do LSD install then if I do it.
I'm anal when it comes to modding, I have done it once before with a muscle car and a few times with my GSXRs and I grabbed **** I didn't even really need.
But the LSD case with the HHR it seems to be a real issue rather then just a want. IDK.

As for tools he has everything known to man, but fro extra parts do you know what part number or any info those GM seals are?

Anything I'm missing? lol I'm honestly looking to get the absolute most HP I can without killing the core. I think I've gone over everything but not sure. Aftermarket axles? Ect?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:35 PM

Well...I had ****ty stock tires at the time too and I have realized since then one of the best mods is sticky summer rubber. If you have good rubber, I doubt you will spin badly straight line. No matter what you will spin first gear, but it was annoying spinning through 2nd and sometimes 3rd would break loose. With good 200 or less tread wear with 225s or wider its unlikely you will have problems. I had stock tires @ 215w/320 tread wear and hankook ventus tires in 225 at like 280 tread wear and those tires sucked too.

Yeah OBX is cheap...I rebuilt it before I installed it. Difference is quality...and the Quaife is lifetime warranty...thats where the extra $$$ comes in. They are the same helical gear type.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556

Mine was together wrong too as this guy showed with his. I cleaned mine up and installed it. When I was doing it I thought it was risky after seeing the sketchy finish and having to rebuild a product...I did have good luck with it though. The Quaife is a well known race proven LSD for multiple platforms...When I cook the stock clutch style LSD in my Solstice I will get a Quaife for sure.

Yeah trans is dropped after the subframe for a clutch install. The trans is pretty damn light...I was able to pick it up and carry it around myself so I would guess is only around 80-100lbs.

LOL talk about things I didn't need...an engine rebuild...the LE5 is stout as hell. Just SC it and get a clutch.

I do not have the receipts for the seals so I can't remember. I know there are 2 seals and a "funnel"(goes under a seal to dissipate trans fluid) that is needed. It is not a funnel though is a little piece of plastic that the parts guys and myself were shaking our heads at cause is was like $30 and it gets ruined when you pull that seal off.

Axles should be fine. Mine were abused really bad with axle stomp before I upgraded mounts.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
Well...I had ****ty stock tires at the time too and I have realized since then one of the best mods is sticky summer rubber. If you have good rubber, I doubt you will spin badly straight line. No matter what you will spin first gear, but it was annoying spinning through 2nd and sometimes 3rd would break loose. With good 200 or less tread wear with 225s or wider its unlikely you will have problems. I had stock tires @ 215w/320 tread wear and hankook ventus tires in 225 at like 280 tread wear and those tires sucked too.

Yeah OBX is cheap...I rebuilt it before I installed it. Difference is quality...and the Quaife is lifetime warranty...thats where the extra $$$ comes in. They are the same helical gear type.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556

Mine was together wrong too as this guy showed with his. I cleaned mine up and installed it. When I was doing it I thought it was risky after seeing the sketchy finish and having to rebuild a product...I did have good luck with it though. The Quaife is a well known race proven LSD for multiple platforms...When I cook the stock clutch style LSD in my Solstice I will get a Quaife for sure.

Yeah trans is dropped after the subframe for a clutch install. The trans is pretty damn light...I was able to pick it up and carry it around myself so I would guess is only around 80-100lbs.

LOL talk about things I didn't need...an engine rebuild...the LE5 is stout as hell. Just SC it and get a clutch.

I do not have the receipts for the seals so I can't remember. I know there are 2 seals and a "funnel"(goes under a seal to dissipate trans fluid) that is needed. It is not a funnel though is a little piece of plastic that the parts guys and myself were shaking our heads at cause is was like $30 and it gets ruined when you pull that seal off.

Axles should be fine. Mine were abused really bad with axle stomp before I upgraded mounts.
Agree, summer rubber all the way. Never all season. I will just park and store HHR during the 8 month winters here in WI. A guy could also just throw on the stocks rims and tries in winter.

I might have to be satisfied with the wide tire thing as I couldn't see spending 1,000-1,400 for a HQ LSD. Did you ever go with the Quaife or know anyone that has?

lol I just read a little of that link and it looks interesting but as a guy who changes his mind a lot I'm going to have to really think about this as once the clutch/flywheel work is done which is the second mod I will be doing after headers/exhaust next week I will not be dropping the tranny again.

Good to hear about the rebuild news, I was going to have my guy dig around during the cam install to see it the engine is up to par for modding. One less thing I will have to do(pay for) hopefully.

OK. i will have to look around for those seals.

Good info!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM

No. I think most people just get good rubber, even those that track with the F23 trans.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:28 PM

Where are you from in WI? I want to buy the m62 SC KIT. But would like some pointers I'm from Sheboygan I between Green Bay and Milwaukee. If it's easier email me at josephkelly@gmx.us

Quick Reply: Supercharged HHR