2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged HHR

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:40 PM

so with the reading I have done with this thread, It wouldn't be too crazy to twin charge the SS. The forged internals are already there, the crank and other components are built for boost. so with some cash and/or ZZP's kit, you could put this together rather quickly and relatively cheap. I wonder what kind of tuning would be needed to do this though?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:50 PM

Supercharger install

A&P thank you for the lengthy response.
I am an ASE certified Master Technician and did it for a living for seventeen years. I am in no rush either. I have all Winter to sort it out. I have most everything that I need with the exception of the Tune equipment.
I was just very surprised to find out that the bolt holes were different sizes.
I will get through it. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM

Supercharger install

A&P, I did not say that I was going with stock pulleys (meaning five rib) I am going with the stock S/C pulley. I already have all of the six rib pieces, and the proper belt. My A/C compressor looks as though it may be different and I may have to use the compressor that I purchased from the Cobalt SS website. I bought the whole compressor to get the pulley. I have the balancer, idler, tensioner and all of that. That was what I thought I was going to do today, but I did not quite get there. Thanks again, Gary
Old 10-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Rest In Peace

OK Cool Gary.
Sounds like you know what your in for then. Being a ASE Mechanic your way ahead of me on that front.

Either way on the AC, I believe your gonna have to redo your AC charge from what I was told. Swapping out to 6 rib.

Hope the one I got matches mine to make the swap I just got whats shown here. Left side in pic.

Name:  b4ca8b3f.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  86.7 KB

Start a seperate thread here and on the Cobalt forum and you'll have a seperate install thread we can all try helping you out if you have any other questions.

And Please take and post Lots of pics along the way.

I'm going to start a thread there once I start mine just so I can share and get Help as needed. Ive done tons of reading and asking but I will ask more questions as I install.

You know about metals reacting to one another I am sure, I see alot of guys just running to home depot for steel bolts in aluminum.

I am trying to use all the GM bolts I can, I want them matching, looking oem stock, and being able to unassemble later if needed.

Good luck with you HHR Supercharger install, like I said before, the more the merrier.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 PM

Supercharger install

A&P, the Cobalt SS A/C compressor I bought had a Torx screw in the end of it. When you take that screw out you can pull the outer clutch plate right off (you used to need a puller to remove it). There was two washers underneath that set the clutch spacing. There was a snap-ring underneath that holds the pulley on and then one more holding the clutch coil. There would be no need to discharge the system in this case. My '07 has the old style with a nut on the end of a shaft and I will probably need a puller to work on it. I am not sure about the discharge status. FWIW
Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Supercharger install

A&P, Oh yeah, I forgot, I agree with you on the bolts and I ordered all kinds of them right from GM because I want the same thing. I want the car looking like it came from the factory with a Supercharger! I even bought the factory "Supercharger" emblems.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM

Gary I dealt specifically with this. I broke that torx bolt off trying to loosen it thinking I could just swap pulleys. GM uses a thread locker on that bolt and it does not want to back off without heat. It would be easiest to swap the pulleys by simply swapping compressors and recharging the system. They do interchange. Its just hard to work in that pace to get a good angle at that bolt. If you get that bolt off on the car props to you! No puller is needed to get the pulley off, but the spacing with the washers is important for the clutch engagement. The lock ring is all that holds the pulley in place.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 PM

@badass:

A straight turbo setup yields the best, most reliable power with the lnf. A SC would complicate things.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM

Supercharger install

HHRfreek, what did you have on your HHR for an air cleaner and intake tube? I cannot tell from the photos. Thanks
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM

I routed it down and behind the fog light area. I used a few 3" tubes and couplers with a KN cone type filter. I didn't have ABS in my HHR so I had plenty of room to route it down. You can also set it up to route back over the valve cover, but a CAI of some sort would be ideal with a SC.

Quick Reply: Supercharged HHR