2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged HHR

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

and sorry for the noobie question this is all new to me..but where is the air filter? unless it is not needed with a supercharger?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 AM

That is an 2.4l valve cover. Its the same on both HHR and Cobalt. AP actually bought that one from me with the head. I painted it black and sanded off the raised ecotec vvt lettering. The air filter location is not shown in any of the pictures, but I routed a cai down to the void just behind the fog light area on the fascia. It was pretty easy to do with a few couplers and tubing.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

so the 2.4 will fit no problem on a 2.2? gota find me one of those and paint it nicely like that too
Old 10-21-2012, 05:53 PM

2.4 Supercharger install

OK so I started to do my Supercharger upgrade today.
So far I am not impressed. I was under the impression that this was a nice and easy bolt on install. Not so far. The 2.4 intake is held on with smaller hardware (it is plastic). 6MM instead of 8MM.
The lower intake support bracket has holes in it for 6MM threaded bolts and the 2.4 block has 8MM threaded holes.
I am not sure about the alternator, A/C compressor, charge air radiator, etc.
I bought the Cobalt SS intercooler (charge air radiator) and the factory brackets and it does not appear that any of that will work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gary
Old 10-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Since the HHR's never came with a factory supercharger, why would you think it would just bolt up? Any custom installation is going to take some custom fabrication.
Maybe "American and Proud" will answer here and give you some pointers. He has had to find a bunch of extra parts getting ready for his supercharger install.
Good Luck.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Since the HHR's never came with a factory supercharger, why would you think it would just bolt up? Any custom installation is going to take some custom fabrication.
Maybe "American and Proud" will answer here and give you some pointers. He has had to find a bunch of extra parts getting ready for his supercharger install.
Good Luck.
Working up a Reply post , give me a few minutes here.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM

easy

Fireman George,
I was not expecting to not have to do any custom mods, but I thought that the intake manifold bolts would be the same size and the holes in the block would be the same. I am not sure that I want to drill out the holes in the cylinder head.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM

You don't need to do any drilling on the engine. Use 6mm fasteners for the IM and as for the lower IM bracket, drill that out to accept an 8mm fastener. I removed my fascia and drilled holes in my bumper and bolted a piece of 3/16 steel about 3" long by 1 1/2". Then I used the 2 inner tabs on the heat exchanger and fastened them to those brackets. You just have to make sure the HE is in far enough in to clear the fascia. With an SS fascia you may have a bit more room. I removed the outer 2 tabs of the 4 that are on the HE. The mounting of the HE was by far the most frustrating part of the install.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Gary B
OK so I started to do my Supercharger upgrade today.
So far I am not impressed. I was under the impression that this was a nice and easy bolt on install. Not so far. The 2.4 intake is held on with smaller hardware (it is plastic). 6MM instead of 8MM.
The lower intake support bracket has holes in it for 6MM threaded bolts and the 2.4 block has 8MM threaded holes.
I am not sure about the alternator, A/C compressor, charge air radiator, etc.
I bought the Cobalt SS intercooler (charge air radiator) and the factory brackets and it does not appear that any of that will work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gary
Not sure if you have seen this but scroll down and look at the Supercharger links.

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-2l-...thread-208355/

I took my main parts off a 2.0 motor directly so I took all the bolts as well.

Ordered a few I needed from the Dealer.

I don't think your gonna fit the Stock Cobalt SS/SC intercooler radiator in the HHR, Maybe. But not a straight bolt in.

This is the type your gonna want. Fits behind the bumper but under the bumper crash bar. Expect to do some Modifications to fit it in.

Name:  e302d1f3.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  52.7 KB

Are you going with a 5 or 6 rib belt install?

Our pullies are 5 Rib. The 2.0 has 6 ribs.

The ZZP "KIT" is set up for 5 rib install, you can check with ZZP for more info on that.

You can do a 5 rib by cutting one rib off the Belt.

I have taken my time getting my parts in order, and read and reread these type supercharger threads and anything to do with a supercharger on a 2.2 or 2.4.

Took Notes on my own from each thread/reply.

You Can't just swap the main parts without the Proper Bolts that go along with them.

You'll need to look those threads over I posted links to and check each one to see the sized bolts you'll need.
Some guys were missing the ALT. bolts and mention the sizes they went and got, some were missing the Intake Manifold bolts and had to get those. Ect.

The LSJ (2.0) Alt. bracket bolts are longer than our 2.4 Alt bolts so you'll need those, as an example.

Now back to 5 or 6 ribs, I am going full 6 ribs. I got all the pullies from the 2.0 with the bolts, got the AC and the crank pully from hhrfreek, so I can just be done with it the first time, in case I ever want to go to a smaller pully on the SC.

You said you were sticking to the OEM Stock pully so a 5 rib install is fine for your install. You'll just need to carefully cut 1 rib off the Belt.

I bought the harnesses from ZZP, 6 to 8 pin throttle body adapter harness and the map/maf extension harness so I would Not have to cut into my wiring harness for those.

The intercooler Pump you'll have to tap into the fuel pump wires or use a add a circuit at the fuse box from it to run your IC Pump. Like the fuel pump, when the key is on, you'll want your IC Pump to be on.

Then you'll need to tap into your harness for the 2.5 Map sensor that on the intake manifold from the 2.0.

You might want to start a "Installing my Supercharger" thread on the CobaltSS forums and get some help as you run into stuff as you go.

Here there is only 3 or 5 ? HHR's that have done this swap so far.

I plan on taking LOTs of pics and updating my thread here once I start, not as a full blown How To but will be close I hope.

No offence meant and please don't take it that way, but how much research into this major performance project have you done?

hhrfreek and lunchbox have both done theirs from the ZZP Kit, joeR did his before a kit was around. So hopefully they can help you out too.

Do you know about "Dual Pass" and "Option B" set ups for the cooling system?
Do you have the Gauges your gonna need? Boost gauge and a wideband air/fuel gauge. Tuning sorted out? Trifecta or HPTuners?

I'm not a mechanic, I have taken well Over a year in Prep as I have slowly collected my parts reading and talking to people about this swap behind the scenes here and on the Cobalt forums getting ready for my install.

I have double, tripled and quadruple checked and rechecked everything I could to avoid any surprizes when I start mine.

I am sure once I start, I will find out I forgot something, but I am trying to avoid that as much as possible before I ever start the project.

I am more than willing to help you as much as I can, but I havent even started mine yet. Currently I am looking for the ZZP dual pass end plate for the intake manifold, was gonna do it later, but decided just to get it and do it now. I don't care if I start this week or next Spring, I Won't start until I have everything needed to do it right.

I could have started install awhile ago, but not rushing into it.

Once I have the dual pass end plate, (ZZP is out of stock) basically all I have left is finding a HP Tuner that I Trust that he knows wtf he is doing and Hopefully Local to me.
I won't loosen one bolt until thats sorted out first.

A Haynes or Chiltons Cobalt service manual will help you out, check them out at the auto parts stores and look at info on the SS/SC, it will come in handy for you.

PICS will Help you out ALOT as you go, for yourself and for asking questions as you go.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by hhrfreek
You don't need to do any drilling on the engine. Use 6mm fasteners for the IM and as for the lower IM bracket, drill that out to accept an 8mm fastener. I removed my fascia and drilled holes in my bumper and bolted a piece of 3/16 steel about 3" long by 1 1/2". Then I used the 2 inner tabs on the heat exchanger and fastened them to those brackets. You just have to make sure the HE is in far enough in to clear the fascia. With an SS fascia you may have a bit more room. I removed the outer 2 tabs of the 4 that are on the HE. The mounting of the HE was by far the most frustrating part of the install.
^ This.

Quick Reply: Supercharged HHR