Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

2010 SS Whistle at startup and after braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by drummerboy0088
It is a 2010 Auto SS. After checking the link OldBlue sent, I did find the Vacuum Pump Assembly, and when starting the car you can definitely hear something from that area. Makes the noise at startup and when stepping off the brake pedal after pushing it all the way down (in park, or idle).

When you say pump, you mean the vacuum pump, not the fuel pump right? Fuel pump is in the rear (So I think I just answered my own question).

Since it's getting cooler here in PA, there usually is some moisture buildup on the car in the morning, that could be how moisture got into the pump? Or the tube going to the Vacuum pump has a hole in it somewhere...
You are correct. The vacuum pump (if installed) on the Auto-Trans cars is located towards the inside of the "K" frame (engine frame) opposite the front attachment point for the driver's front A-arm.

Keep in mind, it's a vacuum pump. The "supply" for the pump is most likely in-line somewhere with the engine side brake booster vacuum source. For you to have a leak in any of the supply lines leading to the brake booster, you would most likely have a higher (than normal) idle, drivability issues, and (possibly) a SES light.

If I had to guess (which by default I have to!!), IF it is a moisture issue, it's most likely entering the vacuum pump by back-feeding from its outlet after the pump has been deactivated (once the engine vacuum comes up to norm).

That's why I'm suggesting (as a last ditch effort before replacing) to disconnect the supply (source that's attached to the brake booster) when it's cold (so that it actually is in operation) and squirt some oil in it WHILE it's on.

Reconnect everything before you attempt to drive it, because if you haven't had an actual leak before, you definitely will if you haven't reconnected everything properly.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kersh
You are correct. The vacuum pump (if installed) on the Auto-Trans cars is located towards the inside of the "K" frame (engine frame) opposite the front attachment point for the driver's front A-arm.

Keep in mind, it's a vacuum pump. The "supply" for the pump is most likely in-line somewhere with the engine side brake booster vacuum source. For you to have a leak in any of the supply lines leading to the brake booster, you would most likely have a higher (than normal) idle, drivability issues, and (possibly) a SES light.

If I had to guess (which by default I have to!!), IF it is a moisture issue, it's most likely entering the vacuum pump by back-feeding from its outlet after the pump has been deactivated (once the engine vacuum comes up to norm).

That's why I'm suggesting (as a last ditch effort before replacing) to disconnect the supply (source that's attached to the brake booster) when it's cold (so that it actually is in operation) and squirt some oil in it WHILE it's on.

Reconnect everything before you attempt to drive it, because if you haven't had an actual leak before, you definitely will if you haven't reconnected everything properly.

Excellent, thanks Kersh and OldBlue! Car is idling just fine, no drivability issues, or a SES light, so maybe it is just a bad Vacuum pump. I found the ACDelco pump on Amazon for under $100, so I'm probably just going to replace the pump. If the noise happens with the new one, then I know it's a minor leak in the tube. I also bought the car with 75,000 miles, so it could be possible the pump is going bad.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 PM

For the heck of it, just disconnect the power to the pump tonight when you're done driving and see if you get the noise in the morning when you restart cold.

If you don't get the noise (and you have every other morning), that should pretty much eliminate anything except the pump itself.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Does the pump come with the hose?
If not here is a link to the GM dealers who sell this discontinued part 20817629

http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/20817629.html
Old 09-21-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Does the pump come with the hose?
If not here is a link to the GM dealers who sell this discontinued part 20817629

GM 20817629 Hose - GM genuine OEM part
The pump doesn't come with a hose. Yesterday I was taking a look at it, and the hose (which is plastic woven, BTW) actually runs to the top of the engine bay, and splits like a "T". The car sat overnight, so I disconnected the hose from the vacuum pump, re connected it, and still got a noise - this time it was longer than usual. I think the vacuum pump is failing.

Good news is I'll be creating a How-to post with photos when I finally get time to fix it. Just a few bolts to drop the bracket for the pump, put the new one on, reconnect the tube and wiring harness, and you're done!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:58 AM

Quick Update,
Finally got around to replacing the vacuum, and no more whistle at startup and/or braking! Took photos of the process and plan on making a how to in the next couple days!
Old 09-24-2015, 08:24 PM
Administrator

We're here to PUMP you up!!! Ya, dats right, pump you up!!!!
Seriously now , great that you got it fixed!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 PM

Good to hear that took care of your problem.

Lots of time, the OP fails to post their solution.

Thanks for the update!

Looking forward to your How-to.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 PM

Just added it to the "'How To' Tutorial Library" , but maybe I should have put it in the "SS Specific Issues/Repairs" ?

Either way, you can check it out here - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...31/#post787703