General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking about buying HHR, but after reading all the problems...I dunno

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:40 AM
prs

Just wanted to jump in here with my two cents. I got my '06 HHR last February. Coming up on the one year anniversary. Car's loaded....has just about every option available. It's wierd. I love the car but I've had nothing but trouble with it since I got it and I'm starting to hate it.
1. Have the premium sound system. I'd start the car and (without the radio being on) would hear a loud static noise. Turn the radio on and it would go away.
2. Use the turn signal and the wipers would go on. Next Time I use the turn signal the radio (if it was off) would make the static sound.
3. Rear wiper stops in the middle of the window. Have to play with the switch to get it work again.
4. Major leak on the passenger side. This was fixed at the dealer.
5. Oxygen senor went bad. Replaced by the dealer
6. Put the key in to start it and it does nothing. Eventually it will start.
7. After reading this forum I checked my fuses/breakers and sure enough every one of them under the hood was loose. The ones in the interior were fine. But all my problems still exsist.
The really frustrating thing is that everytime I take it to the dealer for these issues they tell me that because the problems are intermittent and aren't always present when I bring it in they can't find what's wrong. I've even gone as far as to print out some of the posts from this forum to kinda help them along and give them a place to start looking but they can't seem to be bothered unless the problem is happening at the time.
Maybe I need to find another dealership. Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:40 PM

I have a 2006 HHR and LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Its been to the dealership quite a few times for bulletins on the car but despite that, its a great car and I strongly urge you to run and buy one. YOU will not be disappointed. Are the bugs of a new model car a pain, sure but its been out a yr so their prob just about worked out?? You know what to look for so I say go for it. YOU will be HOOKED on this car. Its roomy, headturning, runs great, handles wonderfully and is cool to look at. Its like no other car on the road, when its coming down the road you know its a HHR! Good luck
Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by SRogers
I have a 2006 HHR and LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Its been to the dealership quite a few times for bulletins on the car but despite that, its a great car and I strongly urge you to run and buy one. YOU will not be disappointed. Are the bugs of a new model car a pain, sure but its been out a yr so their prob just about worked out?? You know what to look for so I say go for it. YOU will be HOOKED on this car. Its roomy, headturning, runs great, handles wonderfully and is cool to look at. Its like no other car on the road, when its coming down the road you know its a HHR! Good luck
Ditto on all of the above. If you want to drive a fun car, that's different than all the rest, go for it! It is roomy, comfortable, and cute as can be! You'll love it! Maybe you should rent one for a weekend and see how much fun it is.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM

all the same

hiya check all forum on all cars and see if any car as no problems??? i don't think so,they are all the same
good luck
Old 08-13-2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by pacerman
Ecotec "piston slap"

Rear hatch not opening and denting at corners of emblem
Never heard of this one.

Water leaks into the interior
This seems to be am issue.

Pulsing brakes
Not unique to the HHR or Chevy.

Electrical problems .. pinched harness under the seat, fuse panel, trans not shifting into gear
Rare.

Paint blasting without running boards
This is an issue.

A/C groan
2006 MY and GM will fix, not an issue.

roof paint peeling
Never heard of this one.

Windshield suseptible to cracking with small pebbles
An this is unique to the HHR and Chevy?

Radio squaks and pops
Isn't there a fix for this.

Excessively loud turn signal indicator........................
2006 only and it is loud.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM

If you read ANY of the car forums, you will find people complaining about problems.

I bought a new Pontiac Grand Am GT in 2000 and discovered their Forum shortly after. After reading a little of that I was thinking I had made a BIG mistake.
But, the car turned out to be one of the best cars I ever owned.

So far, the HHR has been relatively trouble free for over 2 years (Why do I think I'll regret saying that...)

Good luck whatever you decide - geo
Old 08-14-2009, 06:26 PM

I agree I even see people complaining on Toyota and Honda sites.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 PM

ive only had one problem with my hhr so far.that would be the door panel that i broke but made it sound like it came like that but other then that , im at 38,000 now. and got it at 28,000
. no problems as i can see
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM

I love my HHR
the only downfalls and problems ive had are poor brakes
and i did have a tiny ass pebble hit my windshield and crack it..
turn signal use to be real loud, when i completly changed out the stereal i no longer have that problem..
Old 08-16-2009, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by pacerman
Ecotec "piston slap"

Rear hatch not opening and denting at corners of emblem

Water leaks into the interior

Pulsing brakes

Electrical problems .. pinched harness under the seat, fuse panel, trans not shifting into gear

Paint blasting without running boards

A/C groan

roof paint peeling

Windshield suseptible to cracking with small pebbles

Radio squaks and pops

Excessively loud turn signal indicator........................

I've had my 2007 HHR since March of 07, and have had none of those problems, although my windshield did get nailed by a stone on the freeway. It was repaired, and if I don't point to where it hit, you would never see it. As far as the piston slap, mine does not do it, and I hadn't heard that was a problem with these engines. I have a 1999 Ford product that does have and has always since new, had piston slap when cold, but in ten years it has not become any worse, and causes no problems, but does sound bad when you start it cold.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying HHR, but after reading all the problems...I dunno