General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Thinking about buying HHR, but after reading all the problems...I dunno

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JB1
All right the HHR's in the shop for the rattle. The service writer explained to us that we have to press unlock everytime before trying to start the car, even if its unlocked. My wife tried this and it seems to work....sounds fishy to me.
I have NEVER done that. My car is parked in the garage 90% of the time. As such, I never lock the car and, after putting the key in the ignition the car starts right up. Also, on occassion, I will start the car while standing in the doorway of the house....you know, press the lock button, press the start button for 2 seconds, then press the unlock button for access. Everything works the way it was intended........my belief is your dealer is giving you a "band aid" and not doing the correct repair.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I have NEVER done that. My car is parked in the garage 90% of the time. As such, I never lock the car and, after putting the key in the ignition the car starts right up. Also, on occassion, I will start the car while standing in the doorway of the house....you know, press the lock button, press the start button for 2 seconds, then press the unlock button for access. Everything works the way it was intended........my belief is your dealer is giving you a "band aid" and not doing the correct repair.
Agreed. I too park in my garage and never lock the car there and every time I turn the key, away she goes. Dealer sounds full of crap to me. I have a manual transmission so don't know if (or why) there would be any difference.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:46 PM
JB1

Well I dunno, the lady said its something to do with a security function on 2007 models. All I know is if we push unlock then put the key in it starts everytime so who knows, I cant hardly belive it but it does work.

They also fixed the dash rattle, there was a loose screw and a couple bad retainers. Cost me nothing but they billed GM $250.

Im just glad its fixed and we can get back to enjoying the HHR.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by JB1
Do some of you have a problem starting?

Sometimes we go to start it and its just nothing, the headlights come on and dash lights...but it doesnt even crank. We then try a couple more times and it finally cranks.....WTF?
Yes happened to me once, but only once soo far, thought maybe I just didn't put key in right. Also, think maybe key sensor problem, but mine starts ok now. If it happens again, I hope just bug, my old 96 Monte Carlo did this but the chip on the Key may be bad too.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:24 AM

I Love my HHR. I got it the end of May and already have a little over 13,000 miles couldnt wait to drive it from Oklahoma to VA to show my Daughter , her first words "mom that is an ugly car she has no taste she then drove it and said it was the best driving car she has ever been in.She loved how it handled and could see why i was so crazy about my new car. I have only had one problem with mine and that was the AC would just blow hot if you hit a bump or turned it off and on it was cold again. that was just fixed threw the Deal and no have had no other problems. The only thing now is i am waiting to see what colors they put on the 08 may have to do an upgrade. Buy it you will Love IT
Old 10-12-2006, 11:41 AM

20,000 miles on mine ..... nothing but oil changes needed so far.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JuMPy
20,000 miles on mine ..... nothing but oil changes needed so far.

Oh, haven't seen you around before so.....welcome.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:35 PM

Almost 16,000 miles, ordered 8/32/05; delivered 10/03/05 nothing but smiles. The overall value is awesome, been out of town the past 3 weeks and driven other vehicles (rentals) made me appreciate the HHR all the more... two thumbs up from me!
Old 10-16-2006, 03:45 AM

Smile no major problems

just went over 10000 miles and no major porblems...running boards have been installed and doors painted due to snadblasting of rear lower area....am very pleased with performance and economy
Old 02-05-2007, 11:12 AM

Smile New 06 HHR 2LT

Hello everyone,
We just purchased our 06 HHR (Daytona Blue) from a dealer in VA. The same dealer we purchased our 04 SSR (Smokin Asphalt). It was new and still on their lot. We like the color, the ride, the power, the looks, (did I leave anything out???).
As far as we go...you can't go wrong with the HHR.
MOMSHHR (TN)

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying HHR, but after reading all the problems...I dunno