2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Best option for making more power and staying in warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by bassbase
I have a 2009 2LT with a 2.4 and 60,000 miles. I have he 100,000 mile warranty and am having a Trifecta tune done in October. Pretty much undetectable by service unless specifically looking for it. I've been preety lucky (knock on wood) with mine and have not really had much problems as far as warranty or drive train work goes.
Don't fool yourself by what you've been told. If warranty issues do not involve drivetrain, you may be ok.

But, if it is drivetrain related, GM has pretty much mandated that any dealer confirm an OEM factory calibration before any coverage is authorized. If it doesn't pass the GM "test", the warranty is invalidated on GM's data. Not even trying another dealer will work.

Maybe Brad (ChevyMgr) can confirm this.

Being a tuner for years, I see this crap all the time. If you want to tune your car, you should assume the risks involved. Yet, so many want to be able to "hide or overwrite" their tune to deal with warranty issues. That pretty much amounts to fraud, and I'm waiting for someone to go to jail on that one!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by JoeR
Maybe Brad (ChevyMgr) can confirm this.
Confirmed. Any internal power train failures require a snap shot of the ecm to be sent to PQC. They then disect it. I know it's been said that there a stealth tunes, but a Cobalt owner had his pt warranty voided due to a tune. The dealer (local to dallas) did not see anything but GM calibrations when viewing the data on a Tech2, but when the file was sent to PQC they caught it right away.

GM then voids the power train warranty and it stays on the GM information site forever. Any dealer will see it and then deny warranty, because no dealer performs warranty work without viewing this information first.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 PM

If you value your warranty, you are a smart man with a slow car.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Confirmed. Any internal power train failures require a snap shot of the ecm to be sent to PQC. They then disect it. I know it's been said that there a stealth tunes, but a Cobalt owner had his pt warranty voided due to a tune. The dealer (local to dallas) did not see anything but GM calibrations when viewing the data on a Tech2, but when the file was sent to PQC they caught it right away.

GM then voids the power train warranty and it stays on the GM information site forever. Any dealer will see it and then deny warranty, because no dealer performs warranty work without viewing this information first.
i totally believe what you are saying here but i got a new longblock and 2 new turbos (long story) after being tuned. i guess maybe it all depends on what is done and how you flash it back... but understand the risks and know that you are giving up your warranty and if you do get something covered you're lucky
Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS

i totally believe what you are saying here but i got a new longblock and 2 new turbos (long story) after being tuned. i guess maybe it all depends on what is done and how you flash it back... but understand the risks and know that you are giving up your warranty and if you do get something covered you're lucky
Those repairs don't have to be authorized by GM. And yes most repairs will always be done with no problems. And lucky ones have a dealer who won't report the mod to GM.

Major internal engine, transmission and differential repairs are the ones that get the scrutiny.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Those repairs don't have to be authorized by GM. And yes most repairs will always be done with no problems. And lucky ones have a dealer who won't report the mod to GM.

Major internal engine, transmission and differential repairs are the ones that get the scrutiny.
my parts bill alone on my second trip to the dealer which included a new longblock and turbo was almost $7,000

they called me and told me they had to send a snapshot of the ecu to gm and if its approved they would order the parts.

and im not arguing with you i completely agree with what you are saying...merely sharing my fortunate experience. i do think, however, that depending on what kind of tune and how it is flashed that some cannot be detected. true? dunno....seems kinda like the question "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?" the world may never know
Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

I hope to live in the world that we don't need to find out.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 AM

If you value your warranty, you are a smart man with a slow car.
Joe I do value my warranty but I would not say I have a slow car.Also I would not say I am a smart man either
I am thinking that an ss with or without a gmtu will easily outrun a supercharged Hhr

So maybe that would make two of us with a slow car.
I know your only being funny.
Besides whatever tune and mods I put into my ss unfortunatly would be considered
Slow by the guys I know.
In the end I just take out another car if I went to have a fast car.
I myself would not say ANY Hhr ss is slow stock we are talking
A car that is capable of running 155
Btw how fast is your car Joe?
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by bassbase
I have a 2009 2LT with a 2.4 and 60,000 miles. I have he 100,000 mile warranty and am having a Trifecta tune done in October. Pretty much undetectable by service unless specifically looking for it. I've been preety lucky (knock on wood) with mine and have not really had much problems as far as warranty or drive train work goes.
Thank you for sharing. I am glad you are not being denied any warranty work you might have had to have done on your HHR.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service