2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:53 PM

The use of solder connections in the marine world is strictly taboo. Seems vibrations will cause the solder joints to crack.

I'd assume you may have the same issue in an auto application which is why GM suggests crimp connections which incidentally take less time to make. (Of course there is more margin for error if someone doesn't do the crimps correctly)
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by rommer
The use of solder connections in the marine world is strictly taboo. Seems vibrations will cause the solder joints to crack.

I'd assume you may have the same issue in an auto application which is why GM suggests crimp connections which incidentally take less time to make. (Of course there is more margin for error if someone doesn't do the crimps correctly)
Hopefully neither vehicle will be submerged and both customers agreed on and preferred the soldering, before the work was started. I am not worried about them vibrating and cracking either.

rommer I know I will post something in this thread you agree on eventually.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM
XXL

Huh? Assuming someone knows how to solder properly (few I've met do, though they always think they do, and it's a dead giveaway when I ask what flux they use and they say they don't need it), it is far superior to any crimp connection. Aside from the gazillion solder joints inside your car's PCM, there are a bajillion more on the Space Shuttle.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-20-2009 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Admin edit
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Does TAC have to be called on every install?

When I took mine in it was signed in to service department at 7:43 and the credit card was put through at 10:54. I do not know when the tech started but I was charged for 2 hours which was fine with me.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ivtech
Does TAC have to be called on every install?
Yes. Smart techs get a manager or a shop foreman to call it in while they work the vehicle.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
Huh? Assuming someone knows how to solder properly (few I've met do, though they always think they do, and it's a dead giveaway when I ask what flux they use and they say they don't need it), it is far superior to any crimp connection. Aside from the gazillion solder joints inside your car's PCM, there are a bajillion more on the Space Shuttle.

Sorry, but it's true. Has nothing what so ever to do with submerging either. Solder joints are not allowed on marine products per ABYC regulations. All connections must be physical connectors, ie screw terminals and crimp type connectors. Solder connections certainly have there place but high vibration areas are not one of them. A PCB is one thing, butt connected wires is another all together.

BTW - I spent MANY years doing electronics solder connections of all types. Very little you could ever teach me about them.

Thanks so much for your wonderful attempt at humor.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-20-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: admin edit
Old 01-19-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Yes. Smart techs get a manager or a shop foreman to call it in while they work the vehicle.
I wish I had a manager or even a foreman to call anything in for me. I usually call in problems for the manager.

When did the HHR SS become a submarine? Why wasnt I informed about this??? I know it has sleek lines and very fast looking, but I dont think it's that fast in the water.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 PM

Point is that while people are complaining how long it takes to do the upgrade they seem to be looking for ways to take longer to do it!

Corp calls for crimp type connections and some dealers choose to use a connection method that takes longer to do. (Properly anyway) Solder connections may not be the best choice in this case.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM

Ok, since we are off topic anyway, here's some info. The whole wiring harness is mounted to the engine and will not vibrate. It flexes in 1 or 2 spots that go from the ecm to the engine. The rest is pretty secure. I probably soldered my fair share of connections in my short 35 years and every one of them was probably wrong. I have not had one come back and bite me yet. This is a car. Not a boat.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM
XXL

BTW - I spent MANY years doing electronics solder connections of all types. Very little you could ever teach me about them.
So you already know you know more than I do about the subject, yet we've never met. You might want to cover up. Your hubris is showing.

I've been involved with BGA solder joint vibration fatigue damage models, which were used by a major computer storage array manufacturer to determine the durability and survivability of solder joints in their high-availability products. I've been through HALT/HASS, MIL-STD 810E Method 520.1, etc.

Unlike your assumption, I won't make any about your credentials... except to say that, beyond your ABYC (whoever they are) rule reference, you're wrong about the relative fragility of properly soldered connections as compared to crimps. Or... we should get on the phone to NASA before their next launch. As I understand it, their extraterrestrial launches consist of a fair amount of vibration.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-20-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: admin edit

Quick Reply: GM Performance Parts Turbo Upgrade Kit