2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

GM Stage Kit Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 PM

GM Stage Kit Impressions

WOW

Application:
08 HHR SS, Manual with TTR rear sway bar and K&N filter in stock air box.

Weather:
high 60's in southern california

Purchased from:
Crate Engine Depot. Easy transaction, and quick delivery, came in a few days before the estimated delivery date.

Installation:
Installed at Harbor Chevrolet in Long Beach. Install was quick and painless (had it installed while getting some warranty work done) They charged 1.2 hrs for the install. At first glance the quality of the install could have been a bit better, as they cut the plastic wire protectors and taped it back together. I would have done it differently, but at closer inspection the stock harness has a lot of black tape at various points. Its acceptable.

Driving:
The car/truck feels more 'alive' now.
City driving: Very peppy, and seems to drive smoother.
Highway driving: It pulls in any gear. Even 5th gear pulls nicely once the boost kicks in. I can't keep my foot out of it!! Too bad there isn't anyplace around here where I can really open it up and see what she can do, need to plan a good road trip to let her breath and stretch her legs. I'm sure my MPG is horrible right now. I'll wait for a fresh tank before I make any judgments, however I doubt I'll see the MPG gain that others are talking about, unless I get a lighter foot! Bigger brakes (Brembos) would be nice, to offset the added HP.

Conclusion:
Definitely worth the ~$650 for the added HP and Torque. Very fun to drive. After 1 yr of ownership its revived my interest in the car. I'm ready for another year of fun! I'd recommend it to anyone getting bored or ready for the next level from their SS! Thanks all for their posts and info on the forum.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 PM

Does your car dump boost with the t/c off? I have a automatic with the stage 1 install and everytime I leave off idle it spins then dumps boost then recovers quickly. This is extremely annoying.

Last edited by CHOLMES; 05-24-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by CHOLMES
Does your car dump boost with the t/c off? I have a automatic with the stage 1 install and everytime I leave off idle it spins then dumps boost then recovers quickly. This is extremely annoying.

Sounds like you had the same issue I had THe T map in the lower tube is hitting the AC compressor.

Mine would take off had from low speed or a stop it would build boost to 8 psi to 16 psi then dump the boost once I let off and step back on it woulf over 20 psi once I was rolling.

you need to clearance the T map per the GM Performace Division engineer.

He told me to make sure my tube is all the way on the lower intercooler and if that did not fix it he then had the dealer remove the front bumper and shim the intercooler out with body washers 1/4 inch. That is what fixed mine.

To see if that is what your issue is put some padding in and try it. If that fixes it it will need adjusted as the padding will wear and the map connector will beat itself to death.

THere is little clearance there and it takes little to fix it.

Take it to the dealer it should be covered under warranty since it is a GM kit. THis should not cost you anything more.

As for my kit it has been great. I find it funny how much faster it is when you first get it back and once you drive it a month the speed feels slower but the fact is it has not slowed or lost boost.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

Congrats on the purchase man. I just got my car tuned on top of the stage kit and at tip in im at 26psi and i hold steady at 22-23. Now the car is alive lol.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bartSS
Congrats on the purchase man. I just got my car tuned on top of the stage kit and at tip in im at 26psi and i hold steady at 22-23. Now the car is alive lol.
What to see the new dyno numbers, I'll have mine done around the end of June after the Charge piping and turbo back exhaust is installed and a couple warr issues addressed, don't need the dealer to see additional HP LOL

Byron
Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Haha i know what you mean. Ill be putting the SS back on the dyno soon to see the new numbers
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by bartSS
How did you get your car tuned on top of the stage kit? What software di you use? Thanks
Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CHOLMES
How did you get your car tuned on top of the stage kit? What software di you use? Thanks
hp tuners is the software that is used the most.

http://www.hptuners.com/
Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

^^^^ he got it
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM

Well, if my HHR wasn't an SS beforehand, it sure is one now! The kit seems to be especially effective with the automatic and gives back all the low end grunt (and then some!) that the manuals enjoy. There's great power throughout the range and now the car is calling out for performance upgrades to the tires, brakes and suspension...fun times ahead for sure.

So far, this has been one of the most enjoyable vehicles I've ever owned and I've only been driving it less than 3 months and 2,000 miles!