HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

HHR-SS First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:54 AM

HHR-SS First Impressions

HHR-SS, first day, first impression: Mine’s Black, 5-speed, posi. I really like it that there is no chrome, I think it gives the little beast a “Bad” look. It is entinded to be my work car so I added the roof rails they are black too.

Driving: first thing I noticed driving is how quick the steering is. Down sizing from a Suburban and my other car is a 98 C5 Vette, the HHR-SS is a little car and it turns like a go-kart. I was surprised at first (don’t remember the LS or LT I test drove steering’s being so quick) It’s very quick, ¼ turn gets you a 90 degree turn. After a day and 150 miles I’m getting used to it. It’s like a lot a BMW 2002 I raced one year, you can just throw around. I noticed some torque steer when pushing half hard it into a sharp turn. I’ll see what it does when it’s broken-in. (I’m a rear wheel guy so I need to learn how to push this FWD baby.

Motor: I’m keeping the RPMs under 4K for the brake-in period (tried 3.5K) but it revs real fast. It’s got lots of power, not raw like the Vette, more subtle, but the engine revs much quicker. Looking forward to after the brake-in period is I can really open it up. I tend to drive in the higher RPM range; I normally drive to be in the middle of the power band. And try the no-lift shift (not sure about it real driving use but I’ll try it anyway).

Trans: Great, smooth, short pattern, the shifter is in the perfect location for me. Reverse was a little tricky at first. The clutch is soft (softer that I prefer) with a short throw, and engages close to the floor. (The owners manual doesn’t mention the reverse lock out)

Brakes: Haven’t put them to a test yet, just breaking them in. I’ll add the Brembo when they become available. But the placement of the gas peddle won’t allow “heal & Towing” on a down shift . Sort of a dead peddle on the floor for your left foot when not in-use.

Ho yea, the XM is great too.

Nothing but miles of SMILES.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 PM

totally beetchen, man!
Thanks for the review. does it seem to rev really quickly in first gear? in other words, you have to shift it real quickly?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 PM

Yes, it revs up real fast. Today (at 250 miles) not paying attension I was up to 5K in a blink in first, wasn't watching the speed. I think Ill normally shift around 55 first to second. More details in a few days.