2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Help, Dealership is botching Stage -1 Kit install

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 AM

Okay, the print out from the last website I had was enough to get them going again and I now have my vehicle back. I only had a chance to drive it the 2 blocks home so far so I didn't get a chance to see if it's working, however it does seem to be idling smoother and there are no codes up on the dashboard.... So let's hope it worked... Thanks for all of your support. Oh, and they only charged me for 2 hours of installation, even thought they spent about 6 hours working on it after I mentioned to the service rep that I hope he wasn't going to charge me for the time that they spent figuring it out.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:42 AM

Sounds like you ended up doing ok with the install, glad you have it back.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ratracer
The kit does not have a serial number, just a program download access number that will be forever associated with your vin. I tossed my box and put everything in a ziplock before handing to the dealer, who did not have any issues installing.
Also, have them check that the access number hasn't already been used on another install, as was reported to have happened by one of our members here.
Yep, that's exactly what I did, put everything in a ziplock, 2hrs into install my dealer informed me in order to get the download from GM they needed both the access code and SN number. Which was on the box. once I provided them that they were able to download & install. I don't know if they were just trying to buy time, or if things have changed since yours was installed. Mine was 2weeks ago.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSStarman
Yep, that's exactly what I did, put everything in a ziplock, 2hrs into install my dealer informed me in order to get the download from GM they needed both the access code and SN number. Which was on the box. once I provided them that they were able to download & install. I don't know if they were just trying to buy time, or if things have changed since yours was installed. Mine was 2weeks ago.
Mine was installed yesterday, 5/8, but I bought the kit from Crate Eng. Depot back in March which was back ordered 'til April. I was one of the first shipped orders which came in a plain brown box with CED logo gum tape holding it shut. Unless there was a s/n on the component content checklist, there were no additional markings on the outside of the box that all the parts were shoved in, indicating a s/n and I was not asked for any additional info.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM

Serial number of the kit for the calibration down load is on the front page of the instructions near the bottom of the page.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 AM

This is what scares me the most about the Stage 1 kit. I do not want to be a training center for the install. I've seen how mechanics can botch something as simple as changing the oil on the SS.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
This is what scares me the most about the Stage 1 kit. I do not want to be a training center for the install. I've seen how mechanics can botch something as simple as changing the oil on the SS.

Have faith

Everyone is not perfect. When you get into a complacent rhythm doing the same job continuously, steps get passed over without a thought. I've done it.
But the stage kit, that is an atypical job. So one would think that they would put their best trained, experienced mechanic on it rather than the noob oil changer. That's what I requested and that's what I was told is the procedure for this scenario at my dealer. And hey, no problems other than the first time slow go for the double checking of each step.
Know your dealers service dept. reputation, get the price up front and have a little faith if the first two satisfy you. I did, and my apprehension melted away after the first 20+ boost run.................
Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 PM

Wow, I love this Kit! It's a completely different machine. The only words that I can think of to describe it is: READY. It seems like it's always on boil, power is always on tap, lag is reduced, everthing is just tigher in general. I didn't drive it enough without the kit to know if it's the kit or if it was this way before, but it's neat how it limits output based on steering wheel angle, very slick. It seems like 2nd gear is a completely different animal, and I've got more power in all the gears, except first which seems the same as before.