2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

HP decline when you take Air Lid Off???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 PM

Question HP decline when you take Air Lid Off???

Been reading a few threads regarding this topic about the lid being removed from the air box. I've done it myself and yes the sound is pretty bad ass. My SS is stock but it turns heads with that nice tubo noise. When the lid is on its a lot more quiet but I'm worried about HP. Some are saying it stays the same. Other say you loose HP. I think on one thread it said you lose about 9 HP with the lid off.....can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone done any test? Is there a decline in HP??
Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by foxtrotraptor
Been reading a few threads regarding this topic about the lid being removed from the air box. I've done it myself and yes the sound is pretty bad ass. My SS is stock but it turns heads with that nice tubo noise. When the lid is on its a lot more quiet but I'm worried about HP. Some are saying it stays the same. Other say you loose HP. I think on one thread it said you lose about 9 HP with the lid off.....can anyone shed some light on this? Anyone done any test? Is there a decline in HP??
I can't speak on numbers. If your "stock", no matter what you do, your car will detune to stock. If you want to retain any improvements, you need the GMPTU or a custom tune.

In my eyes, I put in some spacers between the lid and box. If the box is unable to pull enough air through the cold air intake, it can pull extra through this space and it sounds great while doing it. Add HP? doubt it. If I lose 9HP (highly doubt that number is possible) so be it, I can barely get traction as it is.

Last edited by JeramieJJ; 01-16-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM

If you want the sound and still retain some of the stock CAI, then just do a lid lift. Take a couple of hollow spacers and wala done.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM

You are bound to loose HP, due to the fact you are pulling in hot underhood air instead of cool outside air. Notice the air cleaner is connected to the passenger fender to intake cold air.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:35 AM

While it does sound great it can throw a MAF code and put you into limp home mode just like an aftermarket high flow air cleaner, but that's another thread all together.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:21 PM

i think im thie one that started driving with the lid off and i hate driving with it on now, i havnt noticed any difference and if there is one, its worth the sound that it makes
Old 01-17-2012, 03:31 PM

I have the RPD and it tells you your intake temperature. Between having the lid on and off there is only a 1-2 degree difference while driving. I also have not thrown any codes at all with the k&n filter. This may all b in my head but I feel the car runs better with the lid off. It feels almost as if the car is choking with the lid on. Like I said that could all b in my head.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Before building my hood scoop fed CAI, for my SS, I ran without the lid for quite awhile. Does not lose HP and does'nt throw codes, as some would try and lead you to believe.
Now with my true CAI, I still get no codes, and I can tell it has helped some in the torgue dept, and it has for sure lowered my underhood temps[which stock are extremly high]. "Moon"
Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by XtremeSS
I have the RPD and it tells you your intake temperature. Between having the lid on and off there is only a 1-2 degree difference while driving. I also have not thrown any codes at all with the k&n filter. This may all b in my head but I feel the car runs better with the lid off. It feels almost as if the car is choking with the lid on. Like I said that could all b in my head.
i agree with everything you just said, so the conclusion is, running with the lid off has 0 draw backs and makes is sound so much better
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by moonsign
Before building my hood scoop fed CAI, for my SS, I ran without the lid for quite awhile. Does not lose HP and does'nt throw codes, as some would try and lead you to believe.
Now with my true CAI, I still get no codes, and I can tell it has helped some in the torgue dept, and it has for sure lowered my underhood temps[which stock are extremly high]. "Moon"
Just because YOUR car does not throw codes along with many others does not mean that it does not happen "Moon".

rallycobalt06:
"the LNF is a very finicky engine/ecu setup...... a simple drop-in K&N filter will allow a good bit amount more air into the turbo (past the MAF) than the factory paper filter, so then the ecu trys to compensate with fuel, throwing the fuel trims off and causing the car to go into what i'd like to call "retarded mode" and throws a CEL. put your factory filter back in and it'll be fine again. in order to run a K&N filter, it's a simple fix....... custom tune."

bartSS:
"Everyone thinks theres no issue. Like Rally said our computers are worse then prissy little girls and if they dont like something they screw **** up. You might not feel any problems but if anyone would log their STFTs and LTFTs you wouldnt be happy. Jumt my .02"

berky1976:
"Listen to BartSS, I had the EXACT same problem you are having when I swapped out the paper with just a K&N and then again when I swapped out the whole intake box... as he told me, some SS' just code when the filter is swapped. I read more on it in my repair manual that I just got on the HHR for the code P0101 which is the same as I got. It relates to the ECU not seeing specific readings within a calibrated range that it doesn't like and that causes the issue. If you go back to the stock paper, you'll lose the code probably within three cycles like I did and get your boost back if you were losing it."

2010SilverIceSS:
"It all depends on the car. Some people have issues and others do not. I had one and never had an issue."

JoeR:
"The GM tolerances for setting the P0101 DTC seem to be a little sensitive. I've ran into this a few times now tuning.
It is highly likely that your intake has changed the airflow at the MAF enough to trigger this.
1. Put the stock intake back on. Right!

2. Get a custom tune from a competent tuner that can recalibrate the MAF. Only data logging and recalibration of the MAF can fix this. The GMPD upgrade or a typical canned tune won't."

I could go on...