2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

HP decline when you take Air Lid Off???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Hey guys you could arguee this for ever and bet it like a dead horse.
I have own tons of turbo cars and this comes up in all fourms. Does a cai or ram air make more power or sound on a turbo car. If you want all those ponies you can leave it on. but if not worried about a couple hp and like the sound leave it off. But that air matter if its colder or hotter , stil has to go throught a turbo witch makes HEAT and then goes to the intercooler. So its still going to get hot but going to get cooled by the intercooler. But a open box will suck in more air then a closed one. Sorry about spelling late lol
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM

:twoth umbs::t humb:
Originally Posted by gotboost
Hey guys you could arguee this for ever and bet it like a dead horse.
I have own tons of turbo cars and this comes up in all fourms. Does a cai or ram air make more power or sound on a turbo car. If you want all those ponies you can leave it on. but if not worried about a couple hp and like the sound leave it off. But that air matter if its colder or hotter , stil has to go throught a turbo witch makes HEAT and then goes to the intercooler. So its still going to get hot but going to get cooled by the intercooler. But a open box will suck in more air then a closed one. Sorry about spelling late lol
Old 01-19-2012, 07:46 PM

gotboost: I agree 100%. We could go back and forth on this issue, and get nowhere. Unless you do your homework and test out any mod, you won't know if it works or not, and get opinions that don't hold water.
Myself, having and worked on many different high performance vehicles for over 50 years, I do my homework and test each and every mod, to see the results as to whether it works or not. If not we go back to square one.
Without going into great detail[as some would not understand and some would disagree with], I can say for a fact, that the CAI that I modded up for my SS, works much better than before. Does not throw codes, mess up fuel trims, and SS now runs much harder.
Also, too much is made of raw H.P. numbers. H.P. numbers don't mean squat, unless your torque curve comes in a the optium RPM. Torque number is the important number, not raw H.P. . that is a well know fact.
If you don't do your homework and test out your mods, then don't try to impress people with something you're only guessing about, and think you know. Now, back on your heads...breaks over. "Moon"
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM

We have a super flow 30 at our shop and mine lost 9hp and 12ft/ib with the lid off and I did many runs too make sure it wasn't a fluke so I can't speak for any one else but those are my dyno numbers not just guessing or speculations
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 AM

hood open?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 AM

open hood LOL. Evo guys in japan use to fell air boxes with ice and ice bags for colder air. Intell some started to suck in water vapor and ice bags LOL. Im still looking for a good intake myself. wife likes her k&n kit with hole in lid. but see likes the sound and not worried about the hp .
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Car static, even with hood open, would lose some H.P. and torque, due to the high underhood air temps. Car should at least equalize the H.P. due to expeling some of the hot air out, once it's moving.
Mine, the outside air is forced into engine compartment with a big hood scoop[boo-coo cool air], and directly over the open airbox plate, so the intake has much cooler air to draw from, and it definately lowers underhood temps a bunch while moving. Butt dyno, says it helped enought to notice, and tried it both ways a few times to test it out. Underhood hot air now has nowhere to go but out, in a big hurry at speed.
Do a good romp, then open the hood and grab the I.C. charge pipe, and tell me it don't get smoking hot under there, with stock setup. "Moon"
Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM

First mod I did was remove the air lid. The day after I bought the car and it sounds great.

I also chopped the stock muffler off last weekend. No need for it on a turbo vehicle other than to reduce noise.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM

when talking airflow and temps.....dyno numbers are not the same situation as a moving car. Especially when an intercooler is involved and your sitting still (heat soak)
Old 01-21-2012, 03:11 AM

What he said....besides, unless its a drop across the whole spectrum its trivial....enjoy your new sound