2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

A quick fun story of my $29.99 mobile one oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Thumbs up A quick fun story of my $29.99 mobile one oil change

So about 2 weeks ago i had my SS at the dealer for some interior plastic pieces to be replaced under warranty. i tell them thanks for ordering the free parts and if they have time to go ahead and rotate the tires, and do an oil change (doing what i can to help GM and the dealer) . He says no problem, give me 2 hours. Cool , i can wait 2 hours. 1 hour 50 min later it's done.

As i'm leaving i notice on my bill that they charged me 29.99 for an oil change.
Synthetic , that can't be. I go back inside to the head service manager and ask if they used mobile 1, He asks does it require synthetic, I say yes, He says lets ask the tech. He yells to the tech, Did you put mobile 1 in the SS, He yells back, Knowbody said anything about synthetic and it does'nt require it.
Thats when i yell back, Yes it does , And it says so on the filler cap. He Yells back , No It Does'nt. So after kinda laughing at him, the 3 of us go outside, i pop the hood, point to the mobile1 on the cap and say , Yes it does, per GM !

So he's very humbled at this point , i'm sorry yada,yada. And they bring it in, drain it , replace the spankin new filter, and fill it with mob 1 , and Again i thank them. The manager redoes the billing, showing the mistake, and says i'm not going to charge you for the synthetic oil change, and i'm very sorry.
I say "hey it happens, i'm just glad i caught it , He says ya , me too.

My SS will go there for warranty work, as they have always taken good care of me. However it won't go there for my stage 1 kit ( It will go to rockenbach)
I just wonder how many poeple would have looked at that bill and said to themselfs , Sweet , they only charged me for a regular oil change ha ha ha !
Well i say honesty is the best policy.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Founding Member

Nice post. The dealer made a mistake, then they fixed their mistake, and that resulted in a positive impact on your wallet. That's the way all retail should be run.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Nice post. The dealer made a mistake, then they fixed their mistake, and that resulted in a positive impact on your wallet. That's the way all retail should be run.
True...but what was the tech hungover and blind. This is what he does everyday. Errors are made, but geez this is right in front of him and as a GM tech wouldn't you think that his training would automatically know that Mobil 1 is to be used. I hope the service manager told him to wake up or it's out the door.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:32 PM

Oh wow! Good thing you caught that!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM

I think my dealer sold 2 08 SS' 1 being mine, and maybe 2 09's.
so mine maybe the only one thats been in the shop, so the guy just figured it' a regular hhr. They get a muligan , They been great so far with the few issues i've had. On there lot now are about 12 HHR's a nice mix of colors , 2 panels, and 1 SS red auto. So just make sure you say synthetic when your dropin yours off, Don't assume.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:51 PM

Usually about $20 for 5 qts. at Wally World
That way you know it's done right
Old 06-24-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScreaminBlkSS
I think my dealer sold 2 08 SS' 1 being mine, and maybe 2 09's.
so mine maybe the only one thats been in the shop, so the guy just figured it' a regular hhr. They get a muligan , They been great so far with the few issues i've had. On there lot now are about 12 HHR's a nice mix of colors , 2 panels, and 1 SS red auto. So just make sure you say synthetic when your dropin yours off, Don't assume.
Good thing you asked. When I schedule my maintenance visits, I tell them up front what I want, and reiterate those wants when I arrive to make sure they are noted on the service order or no signature.
The techs at my dealer are seasoned vets and motorheads, so they check me as well as I check them, with mutual admiration, and I don't get the "you have a 3rd eye" look when I mention a TSB#, code # or mystery rattle.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:16 PM

so it seems like you got a "discount" on the oil change but you really paid for it in time? How long did it take total? Probably too long in my book.

Took my hhr to the dealer I got it from for it's 1st oil change, and they took 1.5 hours while my wife sat there for it. Yeah i haven't been back. Sorry an oil change doesn't take 1.5 hours. I even asked about appointments before she took it, they say they don't do them. My time is worth a heck of a lot more then that.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:21 AM

In 1 hour 50 min. they replaced driver side and pass. side upper and lower interior pillar covers, rotated wheels, replaced a tire sensor, and did the wrong oil change, redoing oil took another 5 min. seems like a resonable time frame.