2.0L Performance Tech 260hp (235hp auto) Turbocharged SS tuner version. 260 lb-ft of torque

Stage 1 Kit MPGs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 AM

Straight driving on the hwy of course will net great numbers.Everyday to work and back I see 33 to37 instant mpg as long as I'm on cruise and not in traffic. Start adding start ups and red lights and cell phone drivers and state trucks and you'll see an entirely different set of numbers.Before the kit on 87 I was seeing the same numbers. But realistically I was 'averaging' 27 city/hwy. Now I'm seeing 23 to 25...BUT, its winter,it takes longer to warm up which keeps in a higher gear longer, running defroster (also runs ac), warm ups to deice etc etc and lets not forget the oh so wonderful winter reformulated gas! But I think my biggest problem right now is the..lead foot!I know the power is there and I use it.It comes on quick and it gets me around traffic right quick also,but at a price(especially with the stage kit).If I work at it I can see 27,but then whats the point of having the kit?In reality, this one is going to be hard because different people in different states under different conditions with different fuels get different numbers.And I think it would still depend on how it ran BEFORE the kit was installed.Not all motors are equal.But its interesting to note.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 AM

I have normally averaged 25-27 depending on who is driving. I have been averaging 29-30 now that I have the kit installed. Should pay for its self by time the wheels fall off!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:07 AM

Hmm, my mileage seems to have stayed about the same, which I am very happy with. I do like to use the increased power from time to time though
Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 AM

91 octane

[QUOTE=Ratracer;350429]It is already recomended the SS to use 91 octane, but using 84 might retard your timing to prevent detonation hurting your mpg. 60-65 mph hwy will net you the best mpg as 80ish is pushing the RPMs.

I should be put to shame because I did not know I should use 91 octane in fact the last two fills I used 87 and my gas mileage did increase a hair but I thought the engine didn't run as smooth. 80ish does push the RPMs a bit I try to hold it at 75 ish as much as possiable because the engine sounds much better.

Stage kit requires 93 octane. Higher octane nets better burn efficiency= more power. The stage kit tweaks the turbo/engine parameters pushing it to 290hp and increases torque, which will get you up to speed with less effort, thus increasing mpg's. That and sensible driving habits.

Where do I buy 93 octane?
30 HP more that's great but, I sometimes have handling issues while shifting and I am not sure if it's the road conditions or me because I a few times while shifting twice on the same road about the same place I thought the stering wheel was gonna jump out of my hands. Took it out on a fairly straight run this weekend and it handled fine so I don't know why this happens.

Thank you so much for answering my questions you have been a great help!
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 AM

The stage kit requires 91 octane (premium) not 93. You should have no problem finding it. The steering wheel moving on you is probably torque steer. The car's power is overwhelmed the tires. Just give it a bit less gas when shifting around there as there's probably something crappy about the road surface.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
The stage kit requires 91 octane (premium) not 93. You should have no problem finding it. The steering wheel moving on you is probably torque steer. The car's power is overwhelmed the tires. Just give it a bit less gas when shifting around there as there's probably something crappy about the road surface.
Since the stage kit installation, I have really experienced much more sever torque steer. I guess that is the price of having so much power in a FWD
Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
Since the stage kit installation, I have really experienced much more sever torque steer. I guess that is the price of having so much power in a FWD
ummm.. yeah, but really it's not that hard to control when you expect it
Old 01-27-2009, 03:27 AM

If you drive the car normally..such as,forget thatt its an SS and think of it as a Chevette,then the 87 should have no affect on milage.But if your going to take advantage of the powaaah of the SS,Then you should use 91 or better.Knock only comes around when the eng is heavly loaded..normal driving does not see this MOSt the time.As for the stage 1 and the must have 91..different story,timing curves are changed and are much more aggressive,now knock really becomes an issue.I was seeing consistant 27.5's under 87 and didn't see any change other then more kick when it was being pushed when using 91...depends on how you drive it.It works well on both.Will it hurt anything..don't think so.Depends on how fast you want to go fast. RPM is not the factor while cruising..its eng load.......I can cruise at 80 and barely push on the petel..just how much load is there at steady state driving?Put it to the floor?Different animal. So..as far as milage..if your flooring it..are you really worried about milage?????
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 AM

My mileage via the "inst" value in the DIC seems to be a little better over the same 25 mile commute I drive every day after the stage kit installation.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Talking Bad road = bad road handeling for sure

Originally Posted by pitbull76
I pay closer attention to the road before I get on the gas while shifting and I have no problems with the steering or the shifting. I checked out that road I had problems and noticed the far lane has tire creases which would make any car hard to steer especially while changing lanes.