2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Cold air intake HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 03:15 PM

yea I reset it then started it up. It was still cutting out and then i took it for a test run. It seemed to have figured it out but when I shut it off and started it later, it started cutting out again.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:18 PM

If the problem goes away but only returns after a restart then maybe a fuse blew that keeps the ecu powered. Kind of like a car stereo not keeping it's programming due to an issue with the REM wire I think.

Did you disconnect the battery before doing the install?
Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Like my eclipse you should def try resetting ecu and letting car idle and warm up for a few minutes. Then get out and drive it and see if the problem is still there after a few days of city driving.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 PM

its not a fuse thats one way I tried to reset it so that cant be it. I think the MAF sensor is just messed up now. Gonna get a new one and try it out.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Thing
I was completely delicate with the MAF because I know how fragile it is. Does the MAF which looks like a 1 inch wide by 2 inch long rectangle have to extend all the way to the other side of the tube? if so theres the problem. tube is to big. but i did spot what looks like oxidizing on the MAF wires.
The position inside the tube matters. Do you still have the stock airbox with the origional tube still attached? If so try sticking the maf in it and see where inside the tube it is postioned. Then try to get yours in that same spot.

Originally Posted by The Thing
yea I reset it then started it up. It was still cutting out and then i took it for a test run. It seemed to have figured it out but when I shut it off and started it later, it started cutting out again.
This could be happening as a part of the positioning of the maf inside the tube coupled with being in open loop until the car reaches a certain temp, 160 or above I would imagine. Once the car goes into closed loop it will use all the sensors to help determin proper timing and fuel curves but during open loop it uses the maf and preset setpoints for timing and fuel curves.

To test my theory run the car until it runs good then shut it off ten turn it back on within 2-3 minutes. The car will still be hot so it should continue to be in closed loop. Heck since we have coolant temp digital displays just watch the temp and compare it to how the car is running.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 AM

okay i tried something new. I put the stock air box on. Took out the filter and put the CAI filter on the Stock air box. runs fine. so im gonna put piping in the stock box for more direct flow. If that helps then ill use that. then later on buy one of the ones made directly for the hhr.

I did try making sure the MAF was the exact same as the stock. but what i think it boiled down to was to much air getting to is at once. I guess. MAF works fine.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:59 AM

What diameter is the tube where you have the MAF sensor? It has to be 2.5 inches or it will cause problems. I think the MAF mount made by Spectre is 3 Inch. You have to buy the adapter kit or make one. The adapter kit by Spectre works I believe but is more expensive.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 AM

it was 3in piping.I cut it and put the sensor straight in the pipe but i did notice on the stock box of the 2.2 has a slight angle of the MAF sensor. angling up probably helping air flow. I cut the MAF tube off the stock box and used that. works great! No codes or anything. Thanks everyone for the help. I've learned a lot!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Yep the 2.2 is sensitive to the MAF tube size,too large and the car runs terrible.I used the tube off of my stock airbox too. Name:  001-16.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  75.5 KB
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by us11csalyer

Did you disconnect the battery before doing the install?

Does the batt have to be disconnected before doing a CAI?

Quick Reply: Cold air intake HELP!