2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Cold Air Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by tracy waddell
Okay, i/m came with the ultimate cold air intake. I'm just going to re-route my air conditioner vent tubes to blow right into te air-box. The plus to this very direct cold air and i can control the amount of cold air by the dash control for the air conditioner. There problem solved once and for all
Originally Posted by HipHotRod
YEA WADDELL FROSTY CAI's NICE!!!!!!!!!
Wouldn't the fan give it a boost effect along with the cold air?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tracy waddell
Okay, i/m came with the ultimate cold air intake. I'm just going to re-route my air conditioner vent tubes to blow right into te air-box. The plus to this very direct cold air and i can control the amount of cold air by the dash control for the air conditioner. There problem solved once and for all
Tracey has a winner. The "Ice Box CAI" You need to market that..

Or even the A/C CAI would work.....LOL

Last edited by sleeper; 07-16-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 PM

This has gotten to be a comic strip,
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 PM

Tracy we cant keep up with you, your always one step ahead,
Old 07-17-2011, 12:16 AM

Lets get real

Ok lets get back to reality and answer Delta's queston with some real truth. Your stock air-box works fine, but some people as for myself have modified their own air-box. I added a second air opening on the oppisite side to drawn in more air. I don't know about H/P gain or Torque, but the throttle response is alot better and smoother. I also have a second air-intake that is more of a "Hot Rod" style which is more for looks, because it just draws air from whats gathered under the hood, like a real street rod. I hope this answer's your question.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:11 PM

To heck with reality - I want the air-conditioned intake! Today it was 100 here in Denver (outside air temp per the car). The intake temp was around 110 when stationary per the MFD. However, with the car moving it would get down to within a couple of degrees of ambient. So the stock system is definitely picking up cooler air than that under the hood.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM

New cold Air intake on a stock 2.2l airbox!!

Hi Folks,

Well I enjoy reading all about the mods that you people do and today I said to myself heck why not lets have some fun.. I decided to add a cold air input to my stock 2.2l airbox.. the upgrade cost me like $15.00 cnd at the local home depot hardware store. I took a 3" air duct union and cut like 2 1/2" one one end and like 1 1/2" on the other end (the mesurements aren't exact as I just cut and installed and it fitted fine the first try so no I didn't mesure sorry.. :P ...). The second part is a alumium flexible 3" duct used for clothes dryers or air exhaust output on propane furnaces. The one that I bought came in a 8' length. You also need one 3" coller to tighten in the the flexible air duct to the airbox new 3" cold air input. So that said I took my airbox apart and cleaned it, then I drilled a 3" inch hole on the other side like the original one. I then suck in the 3" union in the new hole that was just done (enter the longest side from the middle point in the airbox. The shorter end from the middle point needs to be on the outside because you have very little space to fit in the air duct). Then I drilled 3 little hole to insert pop rivets (used 3 and use the size you want), after that i used black hi temp silicon to seal the 3" union against the airbox. I choise to paint the alumium airduct black with hi temp engine paint. So once all that done I re assembled the airbox and attached the new airduct to the side where the new input is ( it's easier to insert the airduct tube to the union) then I pre-form the airduct to fit in the engine bay. Poped in the airbox reconnected the air intake the tbi actuator and finally the orginal airduct intake. Then I cut the alumium airduct so the the end would fit nicely between the rad and the hood cross member and VOILA a home made cold air intake for pennies that works great.. if you ever ran your car with the air filter off well its what it feels like (I'm not saying to try your car without a air filter...if you do be very cautious and do it in a non dusty area for a very very very short time.. not more the a mile or two. your engine light will probably light up.. you do this at your own risks... but it gives yoiu a very good idea what I'm talking about).. More power better response, nice sound.. So now I ordered a k&n filter to fit in my stock airbox for 50$ and saved over $300 compared to if I would of bought a premade kit @ $350.. So people I'm not tell you to do this.. I'm just stating how much fun I had making this little project happen today...I have tons of pics to show.. Hope I can post them all.
hehe next step this week a new 2.4l intake manifold and a oil cooler on the automatic trany to cool things down in there.. I'll keep you folks posted!! Enjoy!!

seems I don't know how to post my pics.. maybe a helpfull soul will tell me and I can put them up in a reply... I'm not used to posting in forums sorry people!! But I love my HHR so more I felt I had to share this!!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM

K&N air filter and intake upgrade

Hi folks,

Well i received my K&N filter and 2.4l air intake today so I couldn't wait so I went back to the shop and did the upgrade..Wow what a difference. I get a better response on lower rpms and the shifting is smoother the power it gives me is amazing..like having a new car with more hp.. With the oil cooler for the trany it took me 3 hours...really easy to do..just ask and I'll share the knowledge, have pics also.. total cost of my upgrades were like $250.. worth every penny!! Next the exhaust system upgrade... looking at a flowmaster system for around 550.. knowing me it shouldn't take too long.. anyways later people!! enjoy!!

HHR LT 2008 2.2l full equip with tinted windows, automatic
Mods up to now:
1: black front grill
2: black mags
3: black window wind shades
3: Vented (drilled) front disks (got fed up of having my original disks warp on me.. my driving style demanded more it seems lol...)
4: ceramic front pads
5: 3" cold air intake modification to the stock airbox (original air intake still in use)
6: K&N air filter
7: 2.4l intake manifold upgrade
8: rear drums and front calipers painted black
9: Goodyear Eagle GT tires
10: oil cooler for the transmission
11: 2000lbs class 2 hiden hitch
12: trailer electric brake system control
13: front head light bulb upgrade to ones that look more white blueish (upgrading the fogs lights very soon)
more mods to come... I love my HHR!! enjoy!!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

tekyfreak-

Sounds cool man..(literally)...

Did you pull fuse # 41 (ECM) & # 43(ECM trans) for at least 1/2 hr ? for the motor & trans to (reset) & re-learn the new added air incoming..

Some remove the battery cable..
Old 07-28-2011, 05:57 AM

sleeper-

Well actually I unplugged the battery. it's always safer when you unplug alot of things.. :)