2.2L Performance Tech 16 valve 143 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Turbo on a 2.2 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Just added to my list an Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge installed in an original HHR SS A pod.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Wondering how this turned out. Anyone know..?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

It didn't happen. His other posts say he totalled his HHR and he put the turbo and parts up for sale.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 AM

Thanks Fireman... That's a shame, would love to see how it turned out...
Old 12-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Premium Member

Seem to me that trading for a SS would be easier.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by SS fan
Yup, plus all the other extras that the SS gets.
Or the addon supercharger is an easier way to go than a turbo. I have almost all the parts together for a spring build, just need to work on an intake.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by SS fan
It might be easier from a mechanical standpoint but perhaps not all of us can afford to buy a SS. If I could have afforded an SS I would have bought one but here in Phoenix SS's are like ghosts and only appear at dealerships once in a while. Not too mention but they are much more expensive the LS's and 1LT's. I just looked at Craiglist for HHR SS in PHoenix and only 1 poped up and it was almost $17k. I paid half that for my LS. I could add a turbo and build the motor and and and ....and still come in under that SS price.

I know that you did not mean that statement to be harsh or mean but I personally get tired of reading/hearing people say things like that. Not everyone has the credit or money to buy what they want right out-a-da box so being able to add something aftermarket can allow you to add it as you go. My first few days on this site (while I could only observe) someone started a thread about engine mods for his 2.2 that could give it more pep and most of the responses were along the lines of "you should have bought a SS or 2.4l if you want more power". No one wanted to actually help and the person only wanted more pep not a race car.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 PM

I think you and I joined about the same time! I agree with you 100%. I just almost completed an upgrade on my motorcycle that took me 1 year to get all the parts. It was a lot easier to buy the stuff as I could afford it than shelling out the one time cost of doing the same upgrade the conventional way.

Then there's this: Maybe he didn't like the look of the SS but wanted some of the performance.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

It is true there is some one for every seat, have fun doing what you want to yours. I didn't say you could or even wanted to, have an SS. I said it would be easier, excuse me for being lazy.

BTW. When I was looking the 2lts were 12 to 17. mySS was 19 I thought it was worth it. This one looks like a very, fast car, for lt money.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/deleted-threads-41/buy-me-%7C-2008-hhr-3-door-ss-37680/
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr

I know that you did not mean that statement to be harsh or mean but I personally get tired of reading/hearing people say things like that. Not everyone has the credit or money to buy what they want right out-a-da box so being able to add something aftermarket can allow you to add it as you go. My first few days on this site (while I could only observe) someone started a thread about engine mods for his 2.2 that could give it more pep and most of the responses were along the lines of "you should have bought a SS or 2.4l if you want more power". No one wanted to actually help and the person only wanted more pep not a race car.
I'm the same way, couldn't afford an SS if I had wanted one, can't even afford major upgrades over time to what I have. While I agree that telling that person that started the post you mention "should have bought an SS" isn't fair the truth is unless you do turbo/supercharger there isn't much of anything you can do to get "a little more pep" out of these motors. A coldair intake or an exhaust are pretty much a wash, very little if any improvement other than sound. There have been dynos done to prove that, the butt dyno may say there's gains, but the numbers tell a different story. There's no "magic chip" that's going to give you 30HP.... Intakes don't add 10+, many lose power over stock, etc. etc. there's just very little that can be done. So to a certain extent it's true.... if you want more power, you should have bought more power, unless you are willing to do some major mods.

So, while it's unfair to tell that guy you should have bought an SS, it would also be unfair to tell him to buy XXX intake, YYY exhaust, ZZZ magic chip and his car runs worse or as good as it did stock...... But now it's louder.

I've got a 2.4L, I added the GMPP intake and a Trifecta tune neither of which were "cheap" to my pocket..... Did I gain HP and TQ? I don't know, the car is a better driver now, the tune smoothed things out, maybe I squeezed out a few ponies but it's not earth shattering. I'm happy with what I did and that's what matters to me, but if I had bought a 2.2L instead I would have the same mods and about 20 less HP just like the factory version.

Quick Reply: Turbo on a 2.2 HHR