2.4L Performance Tech 16 valve 172 hp EcoTec with 162 lb-ft of torque

Innovative performance chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hhrinAK
Its too hard to say what my mpg gain is so far but before the chip I was around 14.4mpg and now the lowest it has dipped is 15.2mpg. [/left]
Wow. Both of those are terrible as far as HHR gas mileage.
My SS has averaged over 27 mpg for 8 years and 51k miles.
Lowest average I've seen for a tank full was 25.5.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:07 PM

I agree but 99% of my driving is stop go city. Rare that I got more than a mile without a red light or a stop sigh
Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 PM

I’d like to add though that like I said, it’s winter and I let my car run probably 10 to 15min every morning before I go to work. I lose probably .2 mpg every morning
Old 01-10-2018, 08:56 PM

Can you detect any change in Idle quality.

My stock 2.4L idles quiet and as smooth as silk. Don't want to change that.

I just want to get rid of the lag and hesitation issues that are pretty well known with the 2.4L stock settings.

If I floor it from a standstill and run it up to 65mph I can tell where it flattens/lags.

It also lags thru an area in the 1500 to 1800RPM partially depending on what gear it is in.

If I floor it from around 40mph it takes off well with a quick downshift thru the clutch converter.

Sure wish Trifecta was still a choice.....

I am certain part of my performance issue is in the need to clean the Throttle Body and Maf which I have put off until I get some warmer weather. with only 28,000 miles on it I don't think it could be too dirty.

Changed the Air Cleaner ( AC Delco) as soon as I got it. Did not look bad at all.

Silverfox
Old 01-10-2018, 09:30 PM

Well I’ve done some custom exhaust work on it so the sound is lovely (swapped the header for a performance header, 3” pipe to stock muffler) but as far as before/after I feel she idles lower and softer than before.
all the performance stock abilities like the passings gears and such like the “40 and floor it” are enhanced and more jumping. More responsive all around.

rip trifecta
Automatic right" how often do you drive in “I” gear? The gear has a lot of potential for lost power in certain areas.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 PM

Yes Auto...

I don't use "I" gear much because I don't prowl for a drag, but I do use it for compression up to 30mph on certain hills so I do not have to touch the brakes.
I drive several routes where that works well.

Just roughly what do I need to do to install the chip and where did you buy it?

What Octane fuel do you use?

Silverfox.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:15 PM

I like the I because with the cat and res gone it roars and peels like a beast.

i got it direct from gainmpg.com
all you need is some black tape to hide the wire taps
It comes with everything you need and a book with instal info

i use 93 every chance I can but sometimes end up with 91.

this is how mine is hooked up, taped the wires next to the main harness and hid the box under the pcm cover, it recommends putting it on your air box, I assume due to heat but its cold enough here I didn’t think it would matter and I like it hidden.
Attached Thumbnails Innovative performance chip-2b669085-25c9-4e60-994c-e11494e3575d.jpeg  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the info ..

I may give it a try.

Silverfox
Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 AM

I noticed that with mine it seems to be pretty sensitive to throttle input, being that its completely electric, at highway speeds. It will accelerate smoothly and swiftly like you said right around to 65, but seems to hit a wall at that point unless you are deep enough in the throttle. Granted, I never floor it, because I find it pointless as the 2.4 is designed to deliver mid rang RPM torqu and Horsepower. Any highway pull or pass I need to make above 50 the car keeps itself between 4500-5000 and pulls like a MF. Going above that is somewhat pointless. The VVT system isnt like Honda VTEC, instead giving mid range pick up. If you want high RPM range performance, go for the LNF.

You have to remember, too, that the Transmission is geared toward economy, and it will fight you unless you manipulate the throttle correctly. Flooring from a stop is about the worst way to start a drag race. Id be willing to bet that if you hooked a live OBD scanner up, mashed the throttle, it still wouldnt read 100% open. Thats just how the car is designed my friend, and no amout of trickery and foolishness can change that. The car is already factory equipped with a very efficient cold air intake, anyway.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:02 PM

How

Originally Posted by hhrinAK
I hated how bulky the stock box was, I did this half assed job till I get my k&n filter and I make the tubing.
alll in a quest to “make us happy”
how'd u manage to get the filter down there, I tried something similar but my hood struts were hitting the filter

Quick Reply: Innovative performance chip