Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

2010 HHR remote start

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 PM

2010 HHR remote start

i have recently purchased a 2010 HHR it was a rental before i got it. They Key FOB has a remote start button. however it doesn't work and the codes in the glove box don't have the remote start code included. my question is some places i have seen grounding a wire can cause this to work.. if so where do i find out where EXACTLY the wire is... if not is it possible to purchase and install an OEM starter unit?

thank you for your time.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Are you working it correctly? You must first press the lock door button, then press and hold the start button until you either see the lights come on, or you hear it start.
Does the lock and unlock buttons work? The reason I ask, is that I just picked up mine tonight, and found both remotes inop. I stopped by autozone to replace the batterys. But once open, I found the clip that not only holds the battery in place, but also acts as a positive connection had come unsoldered on both. I pulled the circuit board out of the remotes, and resoldered them.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM

the key fob works to lock and unlock and it has a remote start button but when i press and hold it nothing happens at all i know there is a list of codes in the glove box and when i looked them up remote start wasnt one of the codes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by DrUnKeN_TiGeR
the key fob works to lock and unlock and it has a remote start button but when i press and hold it nothing happens at all i know there is a list of codes in the glove box and when i looked them up remote start wasnt one of the codes
As ImpalaDaKid said... Did you read the directions on the back of the remote? You MUST press "lock" first (even if it is already locked) and then press the "start" button.

Was your HHR a rental/fleet vehicle in it's former life? That could mean no remote start. If it did not come with it, nobody has figured out how to add it to a 2010 model.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
As ImpalaDaKid said... Did you read the directions on the back of the remote? You MUST press "lock" first (even if it is already locked) and then press the "start" button.

Was your HHR a rental/fleet vehicle in it's former life? That could mean no remote start. If it did not come with it, nobody has figured out how to add it to a 2010 model.
yes i have read the back of the remote... yes as i stated it was a rental vehicle so i think you answered my question thanks for your input
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 AM
Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, DrUnKeN_TiGeR. can't wait to hear how that happened.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Technical Moderator

yes i have read the back of the remote... yes as i stated it was a rental vehicle so i think you answered my question thanks for your input
I was really not trying to be "short". I have become "the guy that does not read carefully before answering". (OldFart)
It just sounded like possibly missing the "MUST" part of the instructions. The grounding only seems to work on pre- 2009 models, GM seems to have changed the computer programming, so if it was not built with you cannot add it for free. After market is the only answer.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM

Just asking because I do not know the answer. If rentals came without remote start, would they still have the 4 button remote. Start, lock, unlock, panic/find, or just a three button. Lock, unlock, panic/find? It would seem to me that if the car came with a remote start button on the remotes, that it should be equipped with such.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 PM

i have recently purchased a 2010 HHR my question is some places i have seen grounding a wire can cause this to work.. if so where do i find out where EXACTLY the wire is... if not is it possible to purchase and install an OEM starter unit?

thank you for your time.
Too bad you have a 2010 or even a 2011. I say that because I understand grounding a wire as you have heard does not work on those yrs. The HHrs before 2010, that was possible by reading this thread. This is where I learned the 2010 and 11 you were not able to do this. Still good info for others that don't have the newer model
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-add-gm-remote-start-without-option-ap3-28551/
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by IMPALADAKID
Just asking because I do not know the answer. If rentals came without remote start, would they still have the 4 button remote. Start, lock, unlock, panic/find, or just a three button. Lock, unlock, panic/find? It would seem to me that if the car came with a remote start button on the remotes, that it should be equipped with such.
The circuit board inside the fob is the same for both. On the pre-2009 the code is AP3, I don't know if that changed in 2009. Mot all rentals came without, depends on the fleet order.